had been using Nod for a while and it has served me well with little hastle quietly running in the background without much resource hogging nonsense
NOD32 Antivirus System provides well balanced, state-of-the-art protection against threats endangering your PC. Viruses, worms, trojans and other malware are kept out of striking distance of your valuable data. Advanced detection methods implemented in the software even provide protection against the future threats from most of the new worms and viruses. The fourth generation of the NOD32 Antivirus System features a fully integrated software suite characterized by an unprecedented detection track record, the fastest scanning rates and extremely low utilization of system resources.
NOD32's detection efficiency combined with 2-50 times faster hard disk scanning rate earned the product many international prestigious awards. NOD32 is the world leader of the Virus Bulletin 100% Awards having won more awards (23) than any competing product. Since its first submission for testing in May 1998, NOD32 was the only tested product that has never missed a single In the Wild virus. NOD32 has been selected as the 'Antivirus program of 2001' by Australian PC User magazine, 'Best Buy, Best Performance, Best Value' by the independent UK Consumer's Association.
The NOD32 Control Center is the central management module. It provides access to the various features, tools and settings and fully integrates all installed system components. These are categorized into four different sections, each of which can be expanded into an easy-to-use directory tree style system. For increased security, the key settings can be password protected to prevent unauthorized access and modification.
Here is a list of the main key features of the NOD32 program:
- Centralized management of the resident antivirus modules and filters.
- Intuitive directory tree style system for easy access
- Automatic, internet/LAN Update module
- Centralized system of log files for all installed modules
- AMON – resident on-access monitor
- NOD32 – on-demand scanner
- IMON – Internet monitor – scans e-mails incoming via the POP3 protocol as well as HTTP traffic
- EMON – complementary e-mail scanner module – scans e-mails incoming via MAPI interface (details below)
- Flexible task scheduler and planning module
- Quarantine directory
- Key system information
- Supports frequent incremental updates and upgrades of the executable components.
- Most updates are performed ‘on-the-fly’ (no reboot is required).
- Small incremental update of the virus database minimizes network congestion and download times.
- Allows flexible scheduling of updates and selection of various update profiles.
- Checks for updates of the system at user-defined intervals or even upon the occurrence of a predefined event.
- Provides intelligent update options for computers on dial-up access.
- Supports proxy-servers (Basic and NTLM authentication).
- Provides authentication of the origin of downloaded update files using a digital signature technique.
- Supports updating from a local site without accessing the Internet, such as from a server within a LAN.
- The upgrade system can be configured to reflect a multi-level hierarchy and/or other needs of a large company or organization.
- Creates updates to a floppy or CD for PCs that are not connected to the network.
- Configuration settings can be distributed to local workstations from an administrator’s computer.
- Provides the option to use a configuration file to set system parameters across the network during initial installation and/or subsequent updates.
- Supports ‘silent mode’ on end-user workstations: notification messages may be forwarded to an administrator only.
- Allows the settings to be password protected.
The NOD32 Scanning Engine Key features are:
- The highest detection and scanning rate performance.
- Unprecedented heuristic analysis capable of exposing DOS, Boot, Win32, macro, script and other viruses and worms in the wild.
- Built in powerful virtual emulator enables detection of the most sophisticated polymorphic and metamorphic viruses.
- Virus detection in compressed or protected executable files, such as UPX, AsPack, FSG, Petite, Neolite, ExeStealth, yoda's Crypter, PECompact, Pklite, Lzexe, Diet, Exepack, CPAV .
- Support of many archive formats, e.g. ZIP, RAR, ARJ, LZH, LHA, CAB, CHM, TAR, GZIP.
- Detection of viruses in encrypted, password protected databases and documents.
- Use of heuristic and algorithmic methods to clean viruses.
- Cleaning of macro viruses and restoration of the documents to original format.
- Recovery of the most important system areas (functions) in the event of an infection.
- Storage of infected files in a safe format (not allowing execution) into the quarantine.
- Search speed is maximized through associative, multilevel cache and low-level code optimizations.
- Use of very fast single-point samples and CRCs for precise detection.
- Use of very few system resources.
- Disinfection/quarantining of the files automatically, on-the-fly.
- Full support of UNICODE in Windows NT / 2000 / 2003 / XP.
The requirements of the NOD32 program are:
- An active and live internet connection (for updates)
- A recommened 128Mb of RAM and 850Mhz CPU
- A required 12MB of free hard drive space
- Windows 95, 98, 98SE, 2K, NT, ME, XP, 2003
- An Unix OS or a Linux Operating System
NOD32 has an average rating 4.0 out of 5 based on 7 user ratings.