Microsoft Anti-Spyware is a free program that helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software. It features Real-Time Protection, a monitoring system that recommends actions against spyware when it's detected, and a new streamlined interface that minimizes interruptions and helps you stay productive.
The latest Improvements in the program are:
- Enhanced performance through a new scanning engine.
- Streamlined, simplified user interface and alerts.
- Improved control over programs on your computer using enhanced Software Explorer.
- Multiple language support with globalization and localization features.
- Protection technologies for all users, whether or not they have administrator rights on the computer.
- Support for assistive technology for individuals who have physical or cognitive difficulties, impairments, and disabilities.
- Support for Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
- Automatic cleaning according to your settings during regularly scheduled scans.
Here is a detailed list of the main program features:
- Spyware detection – Quickly and easily finds spyware and other unwanted programs that can slow down your computer, display annoying pop-up ads, change Internet settings, or use your private information without your consent.
- Straightforward operation and thorough removal technology – Eliminates detected spyware easily at your direction. If you inadvertently remove programs that you actually want, it's easy to get them back.
- Scheduled scanning and removal – Runs these processes when it's convenient for you, whether it's on-demand or on a schedule that you set.
- Helps stop spyware before it infiltrates your computer – Offers a continuous safeguard designed to target all the ways that spyware can infiltrate your computer.
- Works without distracting you – Runs in the background and automatically handles spyware based on preferences that you set. You can use your computer with minimal interruption.
- Expertise you can rely on – A dedicated team of Microsoft researchers continuously searches the Internet to discover new spyware and develop methods to counteract it.
- Stops new threats quickly – A voluntary, worldwide network of Microsoft Anti-Spyware users helps Microsoft determine which suspicious programs to classify as spyware. Participants help discover new threats quickly and notify Microsoft analysts, so that everyone is better protected. Anyone who uses Microsoft Anti-Spyware can join this network and help report potential spyware to Microsoft.
- Automatically stays up to date – To help protect your computer from the latest threats, you can choose to have updates that counteract new spyware automatically downloaded to your computer.
The minimum requirements of the program are:
- Personal computer with an Intel Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) or higher processor; Pentium III recommended.
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or later, or Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later.
- 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (minimum); 128 MB RAM (recommended).
- 20 MB of available hard disk space.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
- Internet access with at least a 28.8 Kbps connection.
- If you're running Windows 2000, you might need to upgrade your GDI+ version.
Microsoft Anti-Spyware has an average rating 4.1 out of 5 based on 8 user ratings.