Napster is now a pay service that you have to buy music instead of downloading it for free. Sounds bad doesn't it? Well you can look at it in two ways. You can say their is better solutions than Napster and that is getting songs for free. But then you can look at what Napster does and your saftey of getting sued. Napster is supported by the RIAA so you don't have to worry about being sued. There is also some other really cool features like listening to 30 seconds of the song before downloading, seeing the full album of the song you are downloading, buying full albums is very simple, message boards, radio, etc.
Some of the features you can only get by buying the $9.99 a month plan. Some songs you can download for free but cannot burn or save to your harddrive. You can also add all your songs on your computer to your media library so you can listen to it on the media player (Which is pretty cool). So it may be worth a try for you. But if you are pro p2p then we recommend sticking to free p2p.
The pay for music prices of Napster are:
You get a lot of features for membership which are:
- Unlimited access to 1,000,000+ songs on your PC for only $9.95 a month.
- Listen to an unlimited number of full-length songs while you are connected to the Internet.
- Download an unlimited number of high quality music files to your PC. You can listen to these downloaded songs online or offline. Keep the music you downloaded for as long as you want to be a Member.
- You can access your Napster Membership on up to 3 PCs and use the same user name and password.
- Enjoy Napster's 50+ commercial-free, interactive radio stations. Skip forward or back, look through all the songs on the station and download your favorites. You can also create your own radio stations based on music you select from your Library.
- Search for music by artist, album, song or member. Napster also recommends similar artists while you search for your favorites.
- Napster adds music every day and new releases every Tuesday.
- Listen to and download music from over 50 years of Billboard charts.
- Find new favorites from Napster's music recommendations.
- Explore exclusive stories, videos and features that help you get deeper into the music you already like or discover something new.
- Discover and share music with other Napster Members. Check out what other members think about music on our message boards, see what other members are downloading in real time, browse their collections and copy and share music.
- Members can also buy songs to keep forever to burn to CD or transfer to a compatible MP3 player. Members pay as low as 80¢ a song when they purchase multiple songs with Napster Tracks Packs.
The minimum system requirements of Napster are:
- Operating System: Windows 2000 or Windows XP. Napster is NOT supported on Windows 95, NT, 98, Me, or Macintosh. NOTE: Windows XP and Windows Media Player 10 are required to use the Napster To Go™ service.
- Processor: Pentium-class CPU equivalent or better
- Memory: 64MB of RAM minimum
- Hard Drive: Approximately 13 MB for Napster. Around 18 MB for Windows Media Player if it is not already installed.
- Monitor: Napster can be viewed on a monitor with a screen resolution of 800×600 or greater.
- Sound Card: Sound card and speakers
- Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.1 or higher. IE 5.5 requires Service Pack 1 or higher. IE 6.0 is recommended. You can get IE 6.0 from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp.
- Compatible MP3 Player: Windows Media Player 7.1 or higher. Windows Media Player 10 Series is recommended as it improves streaming quality and reduces buffering times. You can get Windows Media Player from Microsoft.
- Internet Connection: Active Internet connection
Review by Jared Moya
Napster has an average rating 3.0 out of 5 based on 3 user ratings.