Overnet is a skinnable distributed network file sharing program using its own network. The distributed state means no central server, no weak point, no bottle necks. The Advanced new protocol means less overhead than other distributed networks, while also finding source more effectively. Downloads are speedy with the MFTP protocol pioneered and perfected within eDonkey2000. This protocol downloads from multiple sources simultaneously, guaranteeing corruption free downloads with unique hash generation, and checks at regular intervals.
Share links to specific files on the network with friends and family with the ED2K links, compatible with both eDonkey and. Overnet is compatible with the Windows, Linux and Mac OSX operating systems. With both a Graphical Client and a command line client under windows, and command line clients for both Linux and MacOS.
Some of the features of Overnet are:
- Elegant easy to use interface
- International versions. Now available in many languages
- Share and Download any type of file.
- Downloads are automatically continued from session to session.
- Completely distributed and self organizing network. No central servers.
- Horde Anti-leeching system (see side bar)
- Multiple source downloads. Download a file from several different users at once.
- Network wide searches (see side bar)
- Support for other download protocols such as http and bittorrent
- Private messaging
- Simultaneous uploading and downloading of the same file. Providing the fastest distribution of files possible.
- Dynamic ports. eDonkey can be configured to run over any port.
- Plugin System
- Ed2k links. You can embed links in webpages that will initiate downloads within eDonkey.
- Statistics. Keep track of how much your client is sending and receiving
- Multiple search tab interface
- Automatic fake file detection
- Catalogs. Allow you to verify content before you download it. They are like distributed web pages.
Overnet is a decentralized peer-to-peer computer network, usually used for sharing large files (e.g., movies and CD images). Overnet implements the Kademlia algorithm. It is the creation of Jed McCaleb, the creator of eDonkey2000. The two clients are merged, although Overnet is still available without the server addon ofReview by . As of early 2006, the network had approximately 570,000 concurrent users.Jared Moya
Overnet has an average rating 2.2 out of 5 based on 5 user ratings.