Hey Guys, Limewire may have been shutdown, but that doesn't stop people from using the software. Only the newer versions are now unavailable but if you were to download say version 4.18.2. That'll still work. Good luck!
LimeWire has been shut down. We have a list of alternatives, or a guide to using LimeWire Pirate Edition.
LimeWire is a file sharing program running on the Gnutella Network. It is open standard software running on an open protocol, free for the public to use. LimeWire allows you to share any file such as.mp3s, .avis, jpgs, tiffs, etc. Limewire is written in Java, and will run on Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Sun, and other computing platforms.
LimeWire is the world’s fastest P2P file-sharing application, letting users share and search for all types of computer files, including movies, pictures, games, and text documents. The applications other features include dynamic querying, the ability to preview files while downloading, advanced techniques for locating rare files, and an extremely intuitive user interface.
LimeWire features personalized spam blocker to get rid of junk results. Automatic updates will keep you sharing faster than ever with the latest version. You can search for Creative Commons and Weedshare licensed files, and publish your own creative works with Creative Commons licensing. LimeWire continues its guarantee of no adware or spyware.
LimeWire allows you to search for multiple files at the same time, available in several different languages, and is most famous for its ease-of-use and cross-platform compatibility. LimeWire will run on Windows, Macintosh, Linux, Solaris, and other operating systems.
Some of LimeWire features include:
- Guaranteed clean install with no bundled software
- Windows and Mac compatible
- Firewall-to-firewall transfers
- Cleaner, updated interface with new icons
- Proxy support
- Ease of use – just install, run, and search
- Ability to search by artist, title, genre, or other metainformation
- Elegant multiple search tabbed interface
- “Swarm” downloads from multiple hosts help you get files faster
- iTunes integration for Mac and Windows users
- Unique “ultrapeer” technology reduces bandwidth requirements for most users
- Integrated chat
- Directly connect to a computer
- Browse host feature–even works through firewalls
- Added Bitzi metadata lookup
- International versions: Now available in many new languages
- Connects to the network using GWebCache, a distributed connection system
- Automatic local network searches for lightning-fast downloads
- Support for Magnet links that allow you to click on web page links that access Gnutella
LimeWire has an average rating 3.6 out of 5 based on 71 user ratings.
Haven't used Limewire since the old days, been using Shareaza for stuff I can't get from a certain place that cannot be mentioned. :P Tried it though recently, definately more newbie friendly, hides all the technical jargon and just presents results and how many people have the file. Perhaps too simple, but maybe that's just my techie side talking...