Gtk-Gnutella is a server/client for Gnutella. It runs on every Unix-like system which supports GTK+ (1.2 or above) and libxol. Gnome is not required. It is currently developed and tested under Linux (Debian 2.2) and is known to run at least on Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Darwin, Solaris, Tru64 UNIX (OSF/1), SGI IRIX, BeOS whereas CPU architectures include x86, AMD64, PowerPC, SPARC, MIPS.
What is Gnutella anyway?
Gnutella is a decentralized Peer to Peer information exchanging network. At the moment you can publish and download files of any kind using the Gnutella network. The modern Gnutella protocol is officially documented at the GDF wiki. For more information, visit the Wikipedia definition of Gnutella or the definition of gnutella on the infoAnarchy wiki.
A little about the Gtk-Gnutella program
Gtk-Gnutella is a reliable and efficient Gnutella client, supporting the latest Gnutella protocol, bandwidth limitation (both incoming and outgoing) traffic compression, and advanced search filters among other features.
Gnutella is a peer-based file-sharing protocol that allows a user running a Gnutella client to search for and download files from other Gnutella users, as well as share some files of his/her own.
Gtk-Gnutella offers all the extra features you expect from a modern client: persistent downloads, searches and filters, intuitive interface, upload statistics, queuing, and of course total control over many configuration parameters.
Some of the Gtk-Gnutella features include:
- Share files on the gnutella network (Limewire, BearShare, Xolox, Gnucleus, Shareaza, Morpheus …)
- Compressed GNet connections
- Simultaneous downloading of files from multiple hosts (swarming)
- Passive searches
- Searching by urn:sha1: and magnet:
- Automatic aquisition of additional sources via download mesh and watching searches
- Powerful filtering engine
- Bandwidth management/limiting
- A lot of settings
- A lot of statistics
Gtk-Gnutella is compliant to:
- Gnutella 0.6 (Vendor Code GTKG and soon GNTD)
- GNet compression
- BYE packet
- GWebCache Proposal
- HUGE (Hash/URN Gnutella Extensions)
- Ping/Pong reduction
- PARQ (Passive/Active Remote Queueing)
- PFSP (Partial File Sharing Protocol)
- Vendor Messages
- QRP (Query Routing Proposal)
- Push Proxies
For more information you can always visit the homepage at http://gtk-gnutella.sourceforge.net/ and happy sharing!Review by Jared Moya
Gtk-Gnutella has an average rating 3.3 out of 5 based on 6 user ratings.