G3 Torrent is a feature rich and graphicaly empowered bittorrent client written in python. G3 Torrent is written in python and runs on Microsoft Windows. The program is used to download files using point-to-point technology, in this case using the Bittorrent protocol. G3 Torrent is comparable to Azureus, which is java-based.
G3 Torrent takes the user where the original bittorent client could not go. It gives the user basic file information and can give much more detailed information about peers and files by clicking on one of the well organized tabs. Use this client if you need more performance and features than the official client but feel that Azureus it too much. This client is recommended for new or intermediate users. The options in G3 Torrent are similar to the options available in Bitcomet and both deal with more general and commonly modified options. This client is easy to use and offers more than enough options for the new to intermediate user.
The G3 Torrent client was written in Python. Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming language. It is often compared to Tcl, Perl, Scheme or Java. This client claims to be free of all spyware and adware programs that many users are subjected to when downloading freeware from the Internet. There have been complaints of third party download sites that embed spyware in the source code of the this client. This client is free to download and use under the Open Source License.
Some of G3 Torrent’s Features:
- A feature rich and graphicaly empowered bittorrent client written in python.
- Features Queuing and downloading of multiple torrents. (Starting, stopping, pausing, queue up, queue down etc)
- Real-time list of peer addresses and their statistics.
- Reverse DNS toggle-able.
- Advanced Progress bar graphically illustrates which pieces of the file have been downloaded.
- A graph to display upload and download rates over time.
- Each torrent being downloaded has it’s own graph record.
- Optional Web Interface for remote adminstration.
- Friends Priority System.
- Friends IP address can be set to get upload preference if they are downloading the same file.
- Temporary upload priority can be given to peers by right clicking them in the list.
- Peers can be banned by right clicking them in the list.
- With torrents that contain multiple files, the user can select the order they will download in.
- “Fast Resume” capability.
- Detailed message view for statistics and error reporting.
- System tray icon graphically displays upload download statistics.
- Peer list view can identify and display what client the peer is using. (Azureus, Shadow, and other clients that identify themselves uniquely)
- Can be set to use user customizable folders for storing torrent and incoming files.
- User customizable automatic stopping criteria.
- User customizable upload choker (the choker determines which peer you upload to)
- User customizable color settings to change look and feel.
- User customizable global upload rate.
- User customizable upload behavior (upload rate / number of uploads)
- User customizable listening ports, ip bindings Multi-Tracker support Utilizes the Bittorrent 3.4.1a code-base
Review by Jared Moya
G3 Torrent has an average rating 2.7 out of 5 based on 3 user ratings.