Unless I'm mistaken this used to come with spyware. Real player has always been a terrible player that was trying too hard to be like Windows Media Player. There isn't much of a business possibility around media players, apparently someone forgot to mention this to real media.
Real Player – In sound and vision, RealMusic pulls the best web-based music together into one product. Access to radio, video, downloads and ringtones as well as RealPlayer plus, the easiest way to play every major media format. RealPlayer is the first product that integrates Real's revolutionary new Harmony technology. RealPlayer enables consumers to buy and download music that plays on more than 100 portable devices, including the Apple iPod.
RealPlayer is the only digital-media player you need for finding and downloading new music, playing and managing audio and video clips, and taking your digital entertainment with you. RealPlayer offers a streamlined interface that allows you to keep your media library close at hand. Keep all your digital-media clips organized in one place; save CD tracks with one click; pause and rewind live streams; transfer music to CDs and portable devices effortlessly; and enjoy clear, smooth video playback and multichannel, surround-sound support.
Here is the full list of features for Real Player:
- RealAudio Lossless Format – Our new format allows you to burn professional-quality CDs using only half the disk space of the standard CD audio format (WAV) RealAudio Lossless Format
- Advanced CD burning – The simplicity of using 1-2-3-Burn to create your own CDs conceals some powerful options. Like the ability to normalize volume across all CD song tracks, set up cross fades, and even take out the gaps between audio tracks.
- Analog Recording – Migrating your vinyl or cassette collection to the digital world, or recording your own voice for narration or a quick audio message, taps RealPlayer's capacity for Analog Recording, another valuable tool for transporting you and your media into the digital future/domain.
- Multiple Audio Formats – RealPlayer supports all the latest formats, including audio CD, MP3, MPEG, Sony Memory Stick and many more.
- Multi-Channel Stereo Sound – Bump it up! Enjoy 5-channel audio plus a dedicated sub-woofer channel for streaming or playback through your sound system.
- 10-Band Graphic EQ – Take control of your music. Optimize your sound exactly the way you like it with this sweet graphic equalizer. Adjust your EQ for room size, input type, etc.
- High Bitrate Encoding – An audio lover’s dream! Mix, burn and rip CDs and MP3s at up to 320kbps for ultra-high quality.
- Crossfade – Release your inner deejay and get jiggy with it! Crossfade between songs and add reverb to give your mixes a professional par-tay sound.
- Visualizations – Music that looks as cool as it sounds! See the patterns your music makes on the screen with hundreds of colorful, cutting-edge animations from some of the Web’s hottest designers.
- Album Info – Displays handy reference info about the album or clips you’ve selected. Automatically loads info from CDs or streaming clips. Keep track of lyrics and other details about your clips.
- Portable Device – Take your music with you! Download clips to your favorite portable digital music devices. Compatible with MP3, Sony Memory Stick, Palm, Nomad Zen, iPod and other formats.
- LivePause & Perfect Play – Control your streams. Pause, rewind and fast-forward through live audio or video clips while they play. Create your own sports instant replay!
- Universal Player – From .AIFF to .X-STREAM, RealPlayer has never met a file type it didn't like. Now, the same Player that handles your streaming media and downloaded QuickTime, Windows Media or MPEG audio/video files can also play your DVDs, VCDs and store-bought or home-made CD-ROMS. Finally, digital media has become more manageable.
- High Quality Video – New RealVideo delivers superior video quality over any type of Internet connection – from narrowband to broadband. View and download DVD quality video starting at 500kbps.
- TurboPlay – No more waiting for clips to load! New TurboPlay improves streaming so your clips load faster, start quicker and play smoother over all types of connections – from dialup to high-speed broadband.
- Advanced Video Controls – Adjust your viewer just like a TV set for amazing picture quality. Handy sliders let you tweak your video controls for brightness, contrast, sharpness, hue, etc. Remembers your settings.
- Toolbar Mode – Minimize your player to free up valuable space on your desktop while you’re multitasking.
- Built-In Media Browser – Surf the Web while you’re watching clips or crankin’ with the music.
- Skins - Express yourself! Customize the look of your RealPlayer to reflect your personality. Choose from hundreds of vivid, colorful skins or create and personalize your own.
Here are the minimum system requirements of Real Player:
- 350MHz Intel Pentium II processor or equivalent
- 64MB of RAM (128MB on Windows XP or later)
- 64Kbps ISDN (audio only)
- 16-bit sound card and speakers
- 65,000-color video display card set to display at 1024×768
- Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2 or later, or Windows XP
- IE 6.0 or later, Firefox 1.05 or later
Real Player has an average rating 2.3 out of 5 based on 6 user ratings.