FireStarter is a pure Cocoa, Mac OS X only burning application which will allow you to duplicate all kind of CDs (even those that other Mac OS X applications won’t), burn VCDs and SVCDs, and have access to unique features such as overburning and CDDB access. It’s also a very easy way of burning disc images from the PC world: It handles perfectly well cue/bin files, which are so common on Windows, and which were very hard to burn with other tools.
Some of the reasons to use FireStarter FX are:
- It allows you to easily backup CDs that Apple’s Disc-Copy nor Roxio Toast can backup.
- It allows you to burn iso and cue/bin files from the PC world, which makes FireStarter FX unique on Mac OS X.
- It brings overburning feature to Mac OS X in an easy and neat interface. (‘overburning’ is a cool feature which allows you to burn more data than originally allowed on a CD. Hence you can burn for example a 704MB file on your 701MB CD-R).
- It allows you to create iso and cue/bin files for burning later, or share with your (god forgive me) PC friends.
- You can back-up a folder with only two clicks, which makes it very convenient and more powerful than the Finder burning.
- You can erase a CD-RW with two clicks too, which again makes it a lot more convenient than what is currently done in Mac OS X.
- FireStarter FX sports all the features you want to see in a commercial grade burning application:
-Customizable RAM cache
-High speed burning
-Buffer under-run technology to prevent wasting your media
-Multi-session burning (please read the “known issues and limitations” section)
-Paranoia audio-cd ripping, for best error protection copy
-CDDB access to automatically create CD-TEXT data
-CD-TEXT reading and writing with drives that support it
The latest features of the FireStarter FX are:
- Fixed an issue where some users where not able to burn at all.
- Finally, the auto-detect driver! Check the preferences. Hopefully, it will work with your drive, otherwise you will have to select it manually
- Added the ability to burn 90, 99 and 100 minute CDs! (one of the most requested features).
- Feedback is welcome on both the features (which have been made possible thanks to the great job of the good people of cdrdao).
- Cleaned the code. Fixed some small bugs.
- Extended the beta period to the 2nd of June 2006.
- Operates on the latest version of Mac OS X
FireStarter FX has an average rating 3.5 out of 5 based on 4 user ratings.