“The latest version of Firefox includes more than 1,000 improvements and performance enhancements that make it easier to discover and use all of the innovative features in Firefox,” it said in a press release. “This release adds support for more modern Web technologies that make it easier for developers to build amazing Firefox Add-ons, Web applications and websites.”
Firefox 5.0 reflects Mozilla’s shift this past April to a rapid release development cycle which it says is important to deliver “cutting edge Firefox features, performance enhancements, security updates and stability improvements to users faster.”
So what are some of the new features?
Firefox 5.0 includes the following changes:
- Added support for CSS animations
- The Do-Not-Track header preference has been moved to increase discoverability
- Tuned HTTP idle connection logic for increased performance
- Improved standards support for HTML5, XHR, MathML, SMIL, and canvas
- Improved spell checking for some locales
- Improved desktop environment integration for Linux users
- WebGL content can no longer load cross-domain textures
- Background tabs have setTimeout and setInterval clamped to 1000ms to improve performance
- Fixed several stability issues
- Fixed several security issues
As part of Mozilla’s rapid release development cycle it also offers daily downloads of the latest and greatest Beta and “Aurora” versions for those looking to test out the latest and greatest innovations Mozilla has to offer.
newstip? [email protected]