Easy step-by-step guide that will help you start downloading movies, music, TV shows, and more in no time at all with uTorrent.
The first thing we need to do is download uTorrent if you haven’t done so already. This is the program that will do the actual downloading for you.
Our guide will take you through the uTorrent setup process and downloading of torrents on the BitTorrent network.
If you’re downloading files using BitTorrent, we recommend using a VPN.
INSTALLATION & SETUP
Now we need to configure it to work properly and at a maximized setting based on your PCs internet connection speed.
2. Select “Speed Guide” from the Options Menu as shown below.
3. Run a “Speed Test” and note your upload connection speed.
4. Select your the connection speed determined above in the drop down menu as shown.
5. Choose a port number between 49512 and 65535(the recommended range). Also, the selected port must be forwarded if operating behind a router. As you can see in the picture, I went ahead and used port 49789 and then TESTED it.
….this is the message you should then see in your browser
6. Lastly, it asks if you want to “Enable Encryption.” The reason for this is that many ISPs block or throttle BitTorrent connection speeds and this setting helps mask it.
To test if your ISP throttles BitTorrent traffic CLICK HERE.
7. Click “Use Selected Settings”
There’s a number of different features and options, but the only we’ll concern ourselves with is where you want your downloads to go. You’d be surprised at how many people have trouble locating where their downloads are at.
1. Select “Preferences” from the Options Menu.
2. Here simply enter the folder location for where you want your downloads to be put in.
So Where Do I Find Stuff to Download?
Also, I suggest reading our story on Private vs Public Tracker Sites to get an idea of what to expect from each.
How Do I Download It?
First you need to find what’s called a BitTorrent tracker site, it’s a site which has the actual torrent files that allow users to connect with one another and share data (CLICK HERE FOR TERMINOLOGY).
In the picture below I use the LegalTorrents site since I show actual downloading and wish to of course comply with copyright laws. As shown I selected the download arrow in order to download the torrent file and thus the corresponding content.
The files should then appear in uTorrent and begin downloading.
For a more honest representation, here’s how it would look if you wanted to download content from The Pirate Bay, the world’s largest BitTorrent tracker site.
Using “Star Wars” as the search query, I selected a Star Wars e-Book to download.
Then simply select the file and then DOWNLOAD THIS TORRENT.