App for jailbroken iPhones and iPads allows you to download Usenet content directly to your iPhone or iPad wherever or whenever you want.
PhoneNZB proves once again why it’s worth jailbreaking your iPhone or iPad (easy-to-follow guide here). For if being able to download and watch BitTorrent files on your iOS device with Torrent Player wasn’t enough, then how about being able to download content from Newsgroups as well?
PhoneNZB does just that, allowing users to download Usenet files directly to their iPhone or iPad. The app for jailbroken iOS devices lets you access the staggering amount of Newsgroup content that’s out there and download your favorite movies, TV shows, apps, and more wherever and whenever you want.
Some of the features of PhoneNZB include:
- Can run in background and vibrate (iPhone only) when done
- Extract rar files
- View iOS supported files directly in app, for other files it will look for an installed app
- For par files, it will launch par2GUI, if it is installed, to verify/repair files
- SSL support
So how does it work?
1. Jailbreak your device (if you haven’t already there’s an easy-to-follow guide here).
2. Add PhoneNZB by searching for it in the Cydia app store and pressing the “install” tab.
3. Use Mobile Safari to download an .nzb file from a website like binsearch.info.
4. Click on the “Open in PhoneNZB” button to launch app.
5. Use the Edit button to change the download order or remove unwanted items.
6. Press Play to begin downloading (you’ll be asked to input your Usenet server settings if you haven’t before). Or simply tap on a file to download a single file.
Requirements: A Usenet account and iOS 5.0 or greater.
PhoneNZB is available in the BigBoss respository fpr $2.75, but you can get it for free if you Open the Cydia app and navigate to Manage > Sources > Edit > Add “http://repo.insanelyi.com“.
[email protected] | @jaredmoya