Apple held their large press conference today at 10am PST/1pm EST that announced the new iPhone 5 and confirmed rumored specifications.
If you’re anything like most tech-heads, you’re probably watching the live stream whilst pretending to work.If you haven’t had the opportunity to take a look yet, here’s the latest breaking news regarding the newest iPhone.
For starters, yes it will be called the iPhone 5 despite contrary rumors. While a lot of the information had been leaked before, it’s nice to get confirmation from the company itself regarding the specs. Here’s a rundown of the new iPhone 5:
- 4″ screen
- Resolution of 1,136 x 640 or 326 pixels per inch – maintaining the retina display
- Widescreen aspect of 16:9
- Larger screen allows for a total of six rows of apps on the screen — five rows on the “pages” along with the permanent single row along the bottom
- Apps designed for older iPhones won’t scale to the new iPhone screen
- Made of entirely glass and aluminum
- 7.6 mm thin, 18% thinner than the iPhone 4S.
- Weighs 112 grams, 20% lighter than the 4S.
- First 4G LTE Phone from Apple
- Compatible with the high-speed LTE networks of AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, in addition to global LTE networks: Virgin in Canada, Singtel and Telstra in Australasia, and Deutsche Telecom and Europe.
- More bandwidth than previous iPhones that incorporates the 5GHz 802.11n Wi-Fi
- Powered by new A6 processor, allegedly 22% faster than previous processor and smaller as well
- New camera retains 8-megapixel sensor but is 25% smaller, has better low-light mode, improved image stabilization, face detection, the ability to take photos while recording video and should take pictures 40% faster.
- Features 3 microphones and a speaker that is 20% smaller than the 4S
- New dock connector called the Lightning 80% smaller and reversible.
- New app that offers voice-guided turn-by-turn directions
The price points for the iPhone 5 are: $199 for the 16GB, $299 for the 32 GB and $399 for the 64GB.
The iPhone 4 is going to be free on contract, and the 4S is dropping to $99 for the 16 GB version. The iPhone 5 will go on sale September 21. iOS 6 will be released on September 19th.
[email protected] | @Nardionet