A rundown of the top 5 extensions for the Google Chrome browser that allows users to surf the Internet anonymously, and bypass site and content filters.
With online censorship becoming increasing prevalent at home and at the workplace it’s important for Internet users to have the ability to access sites and content unimpeded.
There are VPNs, proxy software, and other methods that require software and tasks independent of your web browser, but none are easier than browser extensions like the ones for Google Chrome that allow users to easily redirect web traffic through anonymous proxy network right from within the browser.
Here’s a rundown of the top 5.
Proxy Switchy! is an advanced proxy manager for Google Chrome that allows users to manage and switch between multiple proxy profiles quickly and easily.
- Manage and switch between multiple proxy profiles.
- Change the proxy configuration of Chrome and IE in one click.
- URL based switch rules.
- Supports Socks v4 and v5.
- Change LAN and VPN/Dial-up proxy settings.
- Quickly add rules for currently active websites.
- Quick proxy switch between two profiles or cycle all profiles.
- Online rule list support (AutoProxy compatible).
- Export switch rules as PAC/RuleList file.
- Backup/Restore options.
- Proxy change monitoring.
- Colorful profiles and icons.
Switch Chrome’s proxy setting with a single click. Switch Proxy supports in-place edit of proxy and multi-proxy configurations.
This extension allows you to quickly connect to a custom proxy server. It is a proxy client that with a click of a button, you can switch to your custom proxy, turning it on and off with the click of a button.
Manage and switch between multiple proxies quickly & easily. Proxy SwitchySharp extension is iased on “Proxy Switchy!” & “SwitchyPlus.”
- Use Chrome Proxy API instead of changing system proxy settings.
- Support auto switching, which switches among proxy profiles according to URL rules.
- Data import and export.
- Online rule lists (AutoProxy? compatible).
- Use event handling (which is much more efficient and accurate) instead of polling to monitor proxy change.
- Advanced quick switch mode options allow you to switch among your proxies with one click.
5. Hide My Ass!
This official HMA! Web Proxy extension for Chrome allows easy switch to secure, anonymous web browsing.
- One click proxy. Whilst already browsing a website, click the extension icon to browse the website anonymously. Alternatively click the icon on a new tab to be shown a web proxy form and specify a website to proxify.
- Select one of 20 web proxy domain names (not just HideMyAss.com).
- Select a specific web proxy server (USA, UK, NL).
- URL obfuscation. Choose between encoded and encrypted web proxy URL’s.
- SSL encryption. Choose between HTTP and HTTPS web browsing.
- Option to always launch web proxy in incognito mode for increased anonymity.
- Option to always launch the web proxy in a new tab.
- Option to always ask for manual URL entry (and not redirect based on address bar entries).