XP Pro Users - Get an extra 10-15Kb/s from your downloads

Discussion in 'Desktop' started by Power Penguin, Sep 5, 2002.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. Power Penguin

Power Penguin Member

Use his tweak to an extra 10 Kb/s. I tried it and it works....
    Copied from www.SpeedGuide.net

Increase bandwidth by tweaking QoS in Windows XP Pro

The following tweak applies only to Windows XP Professional edition.

The default system behavior is that all 100% bandwidth is available, however, if there is a running application that indicates to the OS it needs to send high priority/real time data, then as long as it has the socket open, Windows XP will restrict “best effort” traffic to 80% of the bandwidth so that high priority traffic can be accommodated. Basically, applications can make this request to the operating system for QoS support using the QoS application programming interfaces (APIs) in Windows and this only applies if a specific app is requesting QoS.

If you'd like to change how much bandwidth is reserved for QoS (the default is 20% of the total bandwidth), do the following:

1. Make sure you're logged in as "Administrator" (not just any account with admin privileges).
    2. Navigate to START>Run and type: gpedit.msc
    3. Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates > Network > QOS Packet Scheduler
    4. In the right window, double-click the limit reservable bandwidth setting
    5. On the setting tab, check the enabled setting.
    6. Where it says "Bandwidth limit %", change it to read 0 (or whatever percentage you want to reserve for high priority QoS data)
    7. Click OK, close gpedit.msc

Under START > My Computer > My Network Connections > View Network Connections, right-click on your connection and under Properties (where it lists your protocols), make sure QOS Packet Scheduler is enabled.

You need to reboot for changes to take effect.

Note: This tweak applies only to The Professional version of Windows XP.
  2. Power Penguin

Power Penguin Member

Well I think it did

It seemed to give an extra 10Kb out of Kazaa Lite 1.7.1

Something about Kazaa says "pro job" to me. So it is bound to stick with the rules and use QoS requesting.

I doubt you will find out for sure.

You'll have to just look at your figures.

Use a big file that's getting a stable d/l rate before applying, and check the same file after applying the tweak and rebooting.

It's a shame no developers of Kazaa come here, they could tell us.
  3. blazedout

blazedout Guest

4. cinder829

cinder829 Member

You dumbass...

@blazedout
    Stop trying to get people to go to your site! It's just a bunch of popups! You're just trying to make money off of people that think you actually have Blubster 2.0.
  5. Elistas

Elistas Finger in bum

Tweak doesn't do anything

That 'tweak' doesn't actually do anything to speed up downloads in WindowsXP. The 20% refers to how much maximum bandwidth for services to use. It doesn't prevent that 20% of bandwidth from being used by your normal Internet apps. Any improvment noticed is either wishful thinking or different circumstances in downloading.
  6. Power Penguin

Power Penguin Member

"The 20% refers to how much maximum bandwidth for services to use"

I don't even know what this means.

According to the tip, XP Pro reserves 20% for high priority downloads, unless you tell it not too.

As I didn't know what the hell you were on about, I would recommend people try anyway.
  7. neoufo51

neoufo51 Member

I did this last year....
  8. Power Penguin

Power Penguin Member

neo

Did it work then?
  9. MoonMan

MoonMan Member

10. method

method yeah, whatever...

Let's see who's behind the popup site spamming...

Admin Name........... Cassandra M*****
    Admin Address........ P.O. Box 1138
    Admin Address........
    Admin Address........ Okeechobee
    Admin Address........ 34973
    Admin Address........ FL
    Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
    Admin Email.......... [email protected]
    Admin Phone.......... 863-763-6757
    Admin Fax............

Now then.. Cassandra.. what's to stop me contacting Yahoo premium services and letting them know that you are spamming forums with your URL in an attempt to gain profit through deception. (it's against their policies!!!) - All I'd have to do is e-mail the following...

Tech Name............ YahooDomains Techcontact
    Tech Address......... 701 First Ave.
    Tech Address.........
    Tech Address......... Sunnyvale
    Tech Address......... 94089
    Tech Address......... CA
    Tech Address......... UNITED STATES
    Tech Email........... [email protected]
    Tech Phone........... +161.98813096
    Tech Fax.............
    Name Server.......... ns8.san.yahoo.com
    Name Server.......... ns9.san.yahoo.com

As for your advertising.. well.. if they know ur spamming to get bullshit traffic with a site that keeps reloading popups.. well.. goodbye account and any money in it..

ADVERTISING ACCOUNTS:
    www.popuptraffic.com - account name: BLAZEDOUT

So do us all a favour.. quit spamming with bs links, it's in your best interests. Thank you.
  11. Karizmatik

Karizmatik I'm Off Da Heezy 4 Sheezy

LoL...

Nice Method...LoL
  12. Havoc

Havoc Member

editttttttt
  13. method

method yeah, whatever...

Wasn't rocket science... I just know which WhoIs server to query for the Yahoo Premium service domains. - I'm sure quite a few other users could have done it too if they were bothered!!

and yup.. i did censor her surname (FOR NOW!!). it's only fair :)
  14. psychotronic420

psychotronic420 P2P Deadhead

Nice one m8

good work Method, these amateurs don't think before they start in with their activities. They are like flies they eat $h1t and bother people.

=====================:cross ======================