Windows has detected the following security threat: uTorrent

Discussion in 'Desktop' started by Drew Wilson, Nov 2, 2011.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

[​IMG]

Never thought I'd end up seeing something like this out of the blue.

... of course, this was after a BSOD, so it was probably a glitch on start-up.
  2. w31n3r

w31n3r Zeropaid Irregular Established Member

BSOD...out of the blue...i like that!

but like you said, prolly some settings were lost after the BSOD thus the message. no biggie, and i'd be more concerned on the cause of the blue screen.

but my main point to post was to point out to any new user that Windows as of now DOES NOT identify uTorrent as a sustained security threat. just in case we have another dogster on our hands...
  3. Drew Wilson

Yeah, the BSOD's have been happening a lot lately for me. It just started happening as of a few weeks ago.

The system just suddenly stops responding. The browser freezes, so I go to my task manager to kill the task. When the task manager freezes, I know it's just going to bluescreen (takes a moment, but it just happens).

I'm starting to think it's FireFox. Of the times the system crashed, it was when FF had a load of tabs running. If I only have about 5 or 6 tabs running, the system seems more stable.

I did a whole bunch of updating, but that seemed to only work for a little less than a week. That's when the system went back to random BSOD's. I thought it was extra system load, so I turned off Aero in an effort to reduce the load. That may have mildly helped, but I don't know for sure.

It seems to be failing that disk dump thing now and I only once got the message on startup again that it recovered from an unexpected shutdown. I tried investigating the files it recommended, but they kind of told me nothing. :\

I'm going to try running FF to a minimum to see if that reduces the number of BSOD's. Before this started happening, my system was as stable as a rock. Now I'm worried the right breeze would cause it to crash. >,<

Do you know what the minimum free disk space should be? I've been trying to keep it up past 30GB at least, thinking that should be sufficient to not run my machine down to a crawl, but I never figured out what the recommended disk space minimum was for Windows 7.

I only have a suspect so far sadly.
  4. Tic3

Tic3 - Staff Member Moderator

Although they can occasionally be caused by software problems, BSOD's are usually hardware related. Either a piece of hardware going bad (video card, sound card, RAM, hard drive, etc.) or an incompatible device driver. When you get a BSOD, read the text on the screen and write down any stop codes. You can usually Google the stop code and help narrow down the cause.
  5. w31n3r

w31n3r Zeropaid Irregular Established Member

wow, i actually thought you were joking!!

Tic3's spot on. i've BSOD'd only twice on my win7 box, first time was because i upgraded my processor, mobo couldn't handle it but a quick BIOS update did the trick, oddly the blue screen gave me a completely unrelated error 0x0c or something :/

second time was ram, mem test will let you know real fast if thats the issue. i'd recommend it in your case. of course, if you usually have 916728 tabs open, it might be time to close a few :D
  6. Drew Wilson

Heheh, yeah.

I've had a BSOD today, but I didn't catch the STOP code. I've been researching this and I believe I know what I'm looking for now. When I looked over the possible BSOD STOP codes, the "0x00000023: FAT_FILE_SYSTEM" seems to ring a bell for me, but I don't know for sure if that was what was causing it as it's only a vague recollection. I'm currently praying that isn't the STOP code I saw because the only information I found on that was this very likely means a corrupted hard drive.
  7. Krell

Krell worthless dirtball Expert

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Performance Information and Tools\Advanced Tools . . . . .> Generate a System Health Report

Ask the application fairies to put a copy of "Driver Genius Professional Edition v10.0.0.761" under your pillow tonight, and use it tomorrow to update all your drivers. Besure to BU all the drivers with DG AFTER you update them and move the downloaded drivers to another partition, don't save them on the C: drive.

Defrag . . . if you're using SSD drives and have 8GB of RAM< lose the pagefile and don't use it any longer.

You know, the usual stuff.

8. mfgbypooter

mfgbypooter Super Pooper Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions, it is so easy to become lazy and fall behind doing you know, the usual stuff.

I'm gonna do some personal updating and housecleaning this weekend, and shouldn't put it off so long anymore.

9. Drew Wilson

On the plus side, I've had my defrag thing scheduled for 4AM in the morning every week, so at least it's not because it's a fragmented hard drive.
  10. Krell

Tic3 is probably right and I think you should upgrade your drivers, esp the video card.

Start with the Intel chipset and any other mainboard drivers and work your way up.

Everyone can try these links and more so if you have an Intel MB.

http://www.intel.com/support/siu.htm

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

Since I have an Intel MB with i7 Quad Core and use the onboard grphics, these work fine for me.

For everything else I use the Driver Genius Professional Edition v10.0.0.761

Start > Run > MSINFO32 > Software Environment > Windows Error Reporting

Start > Run > msconfig.exe > Tools

Take a peek at those two

Aida64 Extreme Edition Portable is also another tool you ALWAYS need so ask Santa Fast!

Also, if you have no need for IPV6 then turn off Teredo and uncheck IPV6 on your adapter.

11. Krell

Can you be more specific? Do you mean on the boot drive C: ?

That depends on a lot, such as whether you are using it for a page file, if Hibernate is enabled or not, and if you are encroaching on the 15% disk space Windows reserves for the MFT yet.

The % free disk space wouldnt be my first concern with a BSOD.

If on the whole your system is starting to slow down badly, I'm sure you can think of 10 ways in your head to make improvements already.

12. Tic3

Tic3 - Staff Member Moderator

They still make Aida? I thought the sold out to Everest. I still have an old version of Aida32. Hmmm....think I'll need to have a talk with Santa, too.