Windows Activation

Discussion in 'Desktop' started by Andromedon, Sep 3, 2005.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Andromedon

Andromedon Ruler Of Earath

I just received the weirdest message after upgrading my monitor on my windows XP; "Since windows was first activated on this computer, the hardware has changed significantly. Due to these changes windows must be reactivated within 3 days. Do you want to reactivate windows now?"

I have no product key as this computer was sold to me. Do any of you guys know how to get around this issue? Google hasn't been much help so far but I will keep looking for an answer.

2. crash4419

crash4419 Guest

whoa whoa whoa

that sounds like a virus big time

ive gotten 3 different monitors they all work?

um there are some activation cracks at the good old crackspider.net

3. mcovey

mcovey Member

antiwpa../

4. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Member

just click that and reactivate it, Unless you have a illegal verison of windows it will activate ok and that will be the end of that.

You can use this program called belarc to find out what your windows product key is on that machine, but you shouldnt need it for a online activation.

5. Andromedon

All your replies are greatly appreciated but I have yet to find a program or XP home activation key to get me past it yet! This is really starting to piss me off, Microsoft is this close to getting ditched! Linux here i come!

6. shawners

shawners Hurt no more my son.

7. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Member

If you have a legal copy of windows thent here is no reason to "get past it" and you should just activate it and go on your way. If you have a legal copy there is absoluetely nothing to fear. And if you have trouble then you should do it by phone and talk to someone with MS, i had to do that once, and its not a big deal and was quick and easy.

Since its pissing you off, it probably means you have a warez verison of windows and that would be against the rules here, and you probably should delete windows and use linux rather than use a warez copy of windows.

8. meyou123

meyou123 Member

Well the first thing....is to find out if your xp home edition version is legit. If it is, you can contact Microsoft and tell them and they may be able help you.

But to tell you the truth, as prevelant as xp is on just about anyplace on the net, I cannot see your problem of getting another copy!

I have an OEM version...that is where you can purchase a mouse or other piece of hardware and get a legal version of xp pro for less than retail. But these do not come with the manual or box, just the disk and the serial number.

9. tomars

tomars Registered Useless

My pops started getting worried about using a pirate version of XP so he bought a legit version of XP Pro but it wouldn't activate so he phones up for help and they told him to give them a code or something and they said its not a legit code and he was on the phone for about an hour trying to sort it out. In the end he just said fuck it il use the pirate one and hung up.

10. Andromedon

I can't find a way to get it activated so I'm just going to start over.

11. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Member

You probably didnt reinstall windows xp with the purchased verison, all you have to do is put the cd in the drive, resart your computer and press any key to boot to cd and then youll see the cd options and you just reinstall windows using the purchased one from there.

12. riderx

riderx Member

eh good post sephi

on a side note u see why people pirate xp?
    i also know someone who had legitimate copy of xp and they had new hardware and they had to ask microsoft to override some bullshit in order for xp to allow the change or whatever. wtf is that bs

i say screw microsoft and pirate xp
    people who are willing to do the right thing and pay for xp is still screwed

13. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Member

Its in the start menu, You click the start button and go to All Programs/Accessories/System Tools

Then click Activate Windows

14. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Member

I had to reactivate windows because of a hardware change numerous times, and it has always been smooth, i had to call up ms and i talked to a rep to get it activate it once, because of a hardware changed, i told them i upgraded the pc and then it was activated and i was on my way.. The last time i did it which was recently, i did it entirely online and it took about 2 mins and was simple to do.

I think your friend's problem was that they wanted to overide the activation rather than activate which is not microsoft's fault, they would have had no problem if they had a ligitimate verisons of windows and should have just activated it rather than trying to hack around it. So they screwed themself.

15. crackerjacker

crackerjacker Member

um they have a legitimate copy no way did they get a pirate version
    i think it was home edition
    or the one that calls home
    point is
    why should an individual have to have permission to activate something they paid for, why let others control what you view on your own puter.
    another thing that gets to me though is what if you had no internet access then u have to call them up?
    that is jibberish
    point is
    microsoft has crossed the line numerous times

16. shawners

shawners Hurt no more my son.

i'm rick james biatch.

17. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Member

To make sure they have a legal copy. MS isnt the first one to have done this, its been going on for years... Its a fairly common practice now and i think its unfair to single out one company when so many are doing the same thing.

None of the information sent lets anyone else view whats on that PC or is personally identifiable in any way, the only thing that is really sent is the product key. If you dont have a pc then you call a 800 number and its done through a automated system.

18. crackerjacker

crackerjacker Member

um
    no other os system i know requires u to call them up to ask permission to use its software lol
    are u for real, really thats crazy man.

single out ms?
    i know its been like that for years
    issue is its still going on too
    which to me is lame

19. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Member

Well you dont call them up and ask them premission to use the software, the vast majority is done online and only takes a few seconds. Seems to me you have never done it, and your using alot of heresay in saying that its crazy... You call it crazy and lame but i bet your using a verison of windows right now, and i bet a large reason why you dont like it is because it made using a illegal verison of windows harder..

Anyone using a illegal copy of a OS which is probably the most important piece of software next to the BIOS on your PC is foolish.

You make it sound like there are a ton of other OS out there, Apple only works on their machines pretty much so far, so there is no reason for them to do it because they already have complete control by requireing their OS to run only on their hardware.

The others arent commerical products or arent aimed towards the home market.

20. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

The only reason is because microsoft will assign that key to your hardware specs. So I guess you changed enough things to require them to reassign the key. Its basically something microsoft put in place to stop casual sharing of windows xp. Like lets say your uncle wanted windows 98 and you had a copy you would just make him a copy. That was a big cause of profit loss for microsoft. Not that I care about them but from a buisness standpoint they are pretty smart. So i have to give them props for that. Too bad the system is a pain in the ass.