Why don't people smarten up and use MUTE?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MacGyver, Mar 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. MacGyver

MacGyver Got My Swiss Army Knife

This I dont understand? Why don't people smarten up and use MUTE?
  2. ya stupid people
  3. downloadalot

downloadalot King of the Divan

People are so full of crap
  4. MacGyver

useful reply, It was a serious post. I think ZP needs a big article and more info on mute. I've tried it and it works.

Why arent more p2p programs being engineered in a similar fashion?
  5. hawkburn

hawkburn Yup...

1.) Speed problems.
    2.) MUTE hasn't yet shown that it can handle mass amounts of users.
    3.) These programs are still fairly difficult to get running (finding node list and forwarding ports - most kazaa users cannot do this, they like the double click, search and download technique)
  6. serrebi101

serrebi101 Member

not to mention that when I'm running it by itself, with my screen reader, and msn, no other open programs, no other proccesses excluding windows processes, it manages to slow my screen reader down.
    Yes, my screen reader takes a shit load of memory, but even es5 doesn't slow things down like mute does.
    Plus, I've come accrross some very anoying gui issues.
    But yes, it does work, but takes a while to get going. Who knows if you wanna leave it running, however.
  7. MacGyver

leaving it running is a good idea.... it will allow other users to use your conection as a "file highway" so to speak... correct?
  8. notbob

notbob I say what I want Established Member

it's a trust based system, so if you want to set it up, there aren't going to be a lot of users unless you are well connected and have a lot of saavy friends

as opposed to kazaa, which gets you files a minute after installing it

not only that, but where is the necessity for mute? to cater to the uber paranoid? there really aren't that many uber paranoid people out there
  9. MacGyver

read the damn news. p2p apps need to go anonymous...

trust based? i dont have any "friends" on mute and i connected just fine.
  10. Miniver

Miniver Adjudicator

My mute node has been running 24/7 on my 700mhz backup computer for a good 2 months now. Seed Node lists are not a problem, as of the latest client release (january) mute handles this by itself, just give it a good 10 minutes to find a good seed. It only needs one to obtain all your connections(default is five). Serrebi you might try limiting your incoming and outgoing messages to reduce mute's usage of your system. No gui issues i've seen. Speed is a problem that may not ever be resolved due to the intent of maximum possible privacy, we'll have to wait for the next release to see if there is any change. Think more of mute as a harbinger of the future. As we all get more bandwidth it's relative speed may become less of an issue. Don't use mute if you have a regular modem. It's true that Mute hasn't shown it can handle massive amounts of users, but it also hasn't had any problems yet. Forwarding ports is something that must be done but this is very common with other p2p and those that need it usually know it by now.

edit:Notbob mute is not a trust based system. Maybe you're thinking of Nullsoft's waste
  11. notbob

2000 people were "sued" out of 30 million--those are still good odds

the point of mute is safety, so if you hook up with strangers, what's the point? you still have an IP, so maybe instead of just suing you, they'll sue everyone in your node--we already know that the RIAA don't let facts and legal technicalities get in their way

encryption is useless since nobody is packet sniffing your traffic

mute doesn't offer anything useful to the average user, only to the superparanoid user
  12. MacGyver

nice post miniver...
  13. Miniver

Miniver Adjudicator

Yes encryption is useless for Mute that's probably why it doesn't use it, learn about a program b4 you post about it. Mute is about no one being able to know what you are sharing. As long as you are not connected directly to the riaa, they cannot even tell that you are node of the network. Notbob's posts don't offer anything to the average ZP'er, only to the Notbob user.
  14. MacGyver

way to whoop some ass miniver...i agree 400% percent...

but even if you were connected directly to the riaa, they'd be downloading another file through your connection (not something your personally sharing )

RIGHT?

Thanks!
  15. notbob

from the mute site

"MUTE protects the contents of each neighbor connection in the network using military-grade encryption. Though the RIAA might tap your network and see all of your Internet traffic, all MUTE messages would be unreadable. Thus, the RIAA would not be able to corner you in the network or obtain an Internet address in connection with your virtual address."

what do you think the personal key is for?

and like i said, it's all useless because the assumption is that they are intercepting your packets, which they are not, the are connecting to the same mesh as you since you gave out a key and an IP on a web forum etc

once they are in, they can search, netstat and get IP addresses (burden of proof is minimal to file a john doe suit and get names and addresses, then warrants or discovery motions for computer hardware) for everyone in the mesh

so before you make a lot of puffed up nonsense, read more than the first few paragraphs of the site, then read about tcp/ip ok?
  16. MacGyver

lets just ignore notbob and continue....
  17. Miniver

Miniver Adjudicator

Ouch, smack me down and call me sally. I thought it didn't. I had read the whole site b4, must've forgotten. Been a long time since i generated my key. See also here http://osdir.com/Article202.phtml.

Again though I believe that you are thinking about waste here. Mute is one network. Not separarated networks which you must get keys to enter. The only people who can see your ip on the network are your direct neighbors. They could not jump in and get everyone's ip addresses. Only the people next to them on the network. I did not give out a key or mesh to anyone through a forum.
  18. i dont know how to use mute, i go onto it and i cant find any files to download, when i search no results come up. I dont no how to connect
  19. Miniver

Miniver Adjudicator

wait at least 10 minutes for mute to connect to a seed, just keep checking the connections tab.
  20. The Hunter

The Hunter Janitor

No spamming any programs, and if its good it will stand on its own merits. As of yet it still isnt installed here, and it wont be for a while. Not untill atleast i see more about it. Also as a note fanboys dont get a great reception here, as at most times it just turns folks off of a program.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.