Who own's the Internet?

Discussion in 'File Sharing' started by Bytronix, Mar 14, 2003.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. Bytronix

Bytronix Member

It has often been said that no one organization or entity owns the internet. Or, for that matter, that there is no one who controls it. With that statement I must disagree. Why? Read on...

Are the following statements true or false?
    Who created the internet: The Pentagon
    What is the internet: A network of networks.
    Purpose of the internet: Communications. In particular, to allow un-interrupted communications to go through (by automatically re-routing communications) in the event of a catastrophic disaster such as a nuclear blast or meteor impact destroying a large part of the network.
    Who regulates the internet: The United States of America. Why? They created it. And should therfore be under the FCC's jursidiction. If you're on the internet you're on American cyber-territory.
    ESCHELON: Is the internet.
    Who enforces laws on the internet: USA & United States Allies
    Who own's the internet: USA Government
    Who own's the content on the internet: The content creator.
    What do I do if I don't like any of the above? A: Make your own internet.
    Religious implications: You figure it out.
    Well, that's all for now.
    Take care...
    -Mike B.

2. Foreverboard

Foreverboard Alien in Penguin suit....

Most historical accounts say the Internet was created in 1969, when the first network of widely separated computers was set up by the Defense Department to aid in computer research. It was called the ARPANET, and it was created by scientists at Bolt Beranek & Newman, or BB&N, in Cambridge, Mass., and at Stanford University, based on concepts described earlier by Massachusetts Institute of Technology scientists J.C.R. Licklider and Leonard Kleinrock (and a few others).

Thats my two cents, please stand by...........................

3. maartendc

maartendc Professional killer

What a load of bull!

No-one controls the net, not even the 'creators' if that is really the US government..... (which I doubt)

The internet is free. Actually, you could say that the people owning the servers own the internet. So that would be ISP's and geocities and all that crap. Or professional web-space providers. They actually do have control over the internet, because if they want to remove something from their servers, they have the right to do so.

But, there are so many ISP's etc. across the world, that no-one is really in control. If your ISP doesn't like what you put on his server, you go to another one.

Thats also the reason why the internet will never be shut down.
    (unless in the very distant future or something like that)

4. i do.:cross :devil :shy :black

5. notbob

notbob I say what I want Established Member

who owns the internet?

I do! SO GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

6. Krell

Krell worthless dirtball Expert

Wrong maartendc

The Internet: From Whence it Came

Public dollars created the Internet not in the spirit of democratic communication, but rather to assist the U.S. military command and control centers in the event of a nuclear holocaust. The basis for the Internet was laid out in a major theoretical research paper by the RAND corporation in 1962.1 The RAND corporation hypothesized that in the event of a nuclear attack on the U.S., central strategic nerve centers of military communications would become prime targets. Given computer susceptability to a disabling nuclear attack, RAND sought to enable the military to access military computing systems from anywhere -- so that, for example, a computer center in an underground bunker in Colorado could be accessed by military authorities from outposts in Virginia, or California. This vulnerability to nuclear attack required a completely decentralized computer network.

Another ancillary problem identified by RAND concerned the military’s need to maintain constant communications with these computers. In the event of a nuclear attack, many transmission lines would be destroyed. The military’s computer system would need to send and receive data in situations of extreme chaos and destruction. The RAND report, "On Distributed Communications Networks," suggested a technique called "packet switching" to bypass this problem. Instead of relying on a continuous stream of data, as in an analog telephone line, computer messages were to be divided into packets of information, each bearing an address of its final destination. These packets would be sent through transmission lines, traveling from network to network, before reaching their destination. It would not matter which route was taken -- each packet would simply take whatever path was available.2

The concept of a decentralized computer network, based on the idea of packet switching, was adopted by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA). DARPA subsequently issued a Request For Proposals to major universities regarding such a computer network.3 Researchers at the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) responded with a proposal and soon began work on the project. In 1969, construction began on the new system, called ARPANET, with the first "node" (or site) located at UCLA. Later nodes were constructed at the Stanford Research Institute (SRI), the University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB), and the University of Utah. The ARPANET allowed for transmission of data from one node to the other, and allowed researchers on this computer network to perform remote computing from other nodes. By 1971 there were 15 additional nodes on the net, primarily university research centers. In 1973, the first international connections were made to England and Norway.

As the ARPANET grew, researchers began to examine the problem posed by the diversity of computing hardware and software in use. For the ARPANET system to succeed, it was necessary for messages to be sent and received regardless of the underlying hardware or software on the individual computer. A standard form of packeting and addressing information was required. In 1974, the original transmission format known as NCP or Network Control Protocol was superseded by the more sophisticated standard known as TCP/IP or Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol. TCP is responsible for converting data into packets and reconverting this data at the receiving end. IP is responsible for addressing each packet and sending these packets across any transmission paths available.

Many more universities became nodes on the system as the ARPANET took shape. Several other factors also began to shape the emerging network. Computers became increasingly available due to major advances in microprocessors and software engineering. Because the Internet protocol system TCP/IP was public domain, other computer users could link up with this growing data network. Electronic mail, initially created for scientific and military exchange, began to be used by civilians for social purposes. Discussion boards were created, enabling computer uses to "broadcast" to lists of subscribers with regular postings on matters such as science fiction and computer games. The public discussion network known as USENET, essentially a collection of electronic bulletin boards, was created in 1979, followed by BITNET in 1981. In 1983, the military component of this computer network split off from ARPANET and created MILNET, which merged into the Defense Data Network. In 1984, the National Science Foundation created NSFNet, which dramatically upgraded the networking and computing power of this system. Other government agencies soon joined in, including NASA, the National Institute for Health, and the Department of Energy. The number of net users proliferated towards the end of the 1980s, with the growth of public nets like the Cleveland Freenet, and Fidonet, and with the creation of commercial systems like MCI Mail and Compuserve. In 1989, ARPANET was disbanded, leaving behind a rapidly growing, decentralized, packet switched network known as the Internet, with the NSFNET as the primary backbone of the system.
    http://www.nlgcdc.org/articles/internet_drew.html

http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,12545,00.html

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/2002/WhoOwnstheInternet.asp

Read all three articles.

edit: btw . . . it is still primarily maintained by US interests. In the event of a national emergency, our F.E.M.A. will shut down all backbone transmissions that are none military, and big FU to the rest of the world, then you decide how free and "non" owned it is.

7. Krell

Krell worthless dirtball Expert

Please dont be euphemistic, if you have anything to say, step right up and spit it out.

Bytronix posed a question with some partial truth in it.
    "What do I do if I don't like any of the above? A: Make your own internet.
    Religious implications: You figure it out. "

The rest of the posts were explanations or "I own it" posts.

If you find fault with the information posted, state it clearly, or, here's novel thought, just shut the fuck up, and mind your own business.

8. Radar1

Radar1 Member

Who owns the internet? Well, Al Gore thinks he invented it. The recording industry THINK they own it, since they payed congress for the piracy laws.

9. .::BeatFactory::.

.::BeatFactory::. The man, the myth,...

@ Krell: You're right ... I learned ALL that crap last year when I was participating in the Texas Academic Decathlon and we even went to Nationals in Phoenix, AZ... so yeah I know my shit too... you just beat me to it bud!:fire

10. Bytronix

Bytronix Member

I'm sorry, did I get someone upset? No need to get so offensive. No, I don't find any fault with any of the information posted. Take care...
    -Mike B.

11. Bytronix

Bytronix Member

Correction...

Ok, I'm sorry, looks like those last remarks were not directed towards me. Carry on! :)

12. Theinfamousone

Theinfamousone Krell's Hitman Established Member

And then about 5 years ago a college student named Shaun Fanning made a program that allowed internet users to search eachother's computers and connect directly for downloading/ uploading compressed audio files. This was quickly christend "peer to peer file sharing" or "P2P" for short.Shortly thereafter the technology became decentralized as well and was expanded to include any and all files making it possible to share pictures, videos, even term papers, bringing light and hope to those who are stuck with dead end jobs or are still in school (gasp).

And then in 2005 Microsoft came up with an OS that completely changed the way computers were run. Schools and businesses and many home users blindly purchased it simply because it was the newest version and shortly thereafter no software made was able to be run on any of the older OS's. With the death of P2P and the lack of the large majority of people willing to buy computers anymore, Microsoft and all other large corporations that couldn't downsize fast enough went bankrupt leaving the computer industry in shambles.

I think this thread should be named, the rise and fall of the internet.

13. overdo

overdo Member

nice post krell:fire

i only skimmed through the other two articles so i might have missed this but doesn't the "internet" rely on 7 major servers? i remember reading an article about this, saying that a combined attack on 2 or more of these servers at peak times would effectively cause the internet to crash. just done a search on google but couldn't find anything to back this up though.

14. Theinfamousone

Theinfamousone Krell's Hitman Established Member

Yeah, I wonder how vulnerable the internet is to physically being shut down.

15. BigMole

BigMole Member

Internet is decentralised

Internet is actually controlled by different organisations in different countries. And those organisations can of-course easily be taken over by the government in each countries

If for instance the US government decides to shut down the Internet that would only mean that everything US based would be shut down. But users in the rest of the world could still use the Internet.

For instance, if US did shut down the following things would disappear:

* All us based nameservers like:
    .com, .org, .net, .us, and some others that are currently hosted in the US like .nu. That means any adress ending with those names would not be possible to address.

* All US hosted webpages which means perhaps more than half of the web would disappear. Including zeropaid.com. :(

* All US based services like Google.com and Google.de.

But a German user could still access a spanish webpage if it was hosted in Europe and had a name like www.el-toro.sp.
    That's because there are direct connections between many countries. Data from Germany to Spain does not normally pass the US backbone. Instead it passes over land lines through France or by sea cables through England.

Fully distributed p2p systems like the different Gnutella clients would still work! Also, even some partially centralised p2p systems like Kazaa would probably survive since their servers are outside the US. (But the the Kazaa webpage would not be addressible since it uses a .com address.)

Since my webpage is hosted on a European server and has a European address people in the rest of the world could still acces my webpage!!

And yes, there are fiberoptic sea cables from Europe to Asia that do not pass North America and carry all kinds of communication, including the Internet. For instance this cable: Scandinavia - England - Strait of Gibraltar - The Mediterranean sea - along the Suez Canal (on land over Egypt/Sinai) - Red sea - Arabian Sea (Indian Ocean) - India - Bay of Bengal (Indian Ocean again) - Singapore.

So Internet is a decentralised system where every part is controlled by some local organisation. Those local organisations mostly consists of universities and ISPs.

However the Internet protocols are standardised byt IETF (www.ietf.org) and IP-numbers are assigned by IANA (www.iana.org). You can read about them on their web sites.

16. -glitch-

-glitch- Guest

It is not owned but is very much controlled by the u.s. govt.