Wearing Texas T-shirt nearly got man castrated

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by nicole2320, Sep 11, 2007.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. nicole2320

nicole2320 Member

MSNBC.com
    Wearing Texas T-shirt nearly got man castrated
    Allegations against Oklahoma fan are symbolic of hatred-filled rivalry
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 4:10 p.m. ET Sept 11, 2007

OKLAHOMA CITY - To hear Oklahoma football fans tell it, some things just aren’t done in the heart of Sooner Nation, and one of them is to walk into a bar wearing a Texas Longhorns T-shirt.

That’s exactly what touched off a bloody skirmish that left a Texas-shirt-wearing fan nearly castrated and an Oklahoma fan facing aggravated assault charges that could put him in prison for up to five years.

The shocking case has set off a raging debate in this football-crazed region about the extreme passions behind a bitter rivalry. Some legal observers have even questioned whether this case could ever truly have an impartial jury.

“I’ve actually heard callers on talk radio say that this guy deserved what he got for wearing a Texas T-shirt into a bar in the middle of Sooner country,” said Irven Box, an attorney in this city 20 miles from Oklahoma’s campus in Norman.

According to police, 32-year-old Texas fan Brian Christopher Thomas walked into Henry Hudson’s Pub on June 17 wearing a Longhorns T-shirt and quickly became the focus of football “trash talk” from another regular, 53-year-old Oklahoma fan Allen Michael Beckett.

Thomas told police that when he decided to leave and went to the bar to pay his tab, Beckett grabbed him in the crotch, pulled him to the ground and wouldn’t let go, even as bar patrons tried to break it up. When the two men were separated, Thomas looked down and realized the extent of his injuries.

“He could see both of his testicles hanging on the outside of his body,” said Thomas’ attorney, Carl Hughes. “He was wearing a pair of white shorts, which made it that much worse.”

It took more than 60 stitches to close the wound, and police interviewed Thomas at a nearby hospital emergency room.

Beckett’s attorney, Billy Bock, concedes that his client commented about Thomas’ shirt, but said it was just good-natured ribbing and that he apologized to Thomas when it appeared to upset the Texas fan. Later, Bock said Thomas approached his client at the bar and threatened him.

“My client is a little man, and this guy (Thomas) is 30 to 40 pounds bigger than him,” Bock said. “He’s bigger, stronger, younger and probably faster, and he aggressively leaned in and touched my client and threatened to beat him up. ... My guy was defending himself and just took control of the situation.”

Thomas’ attorney disputes Beckett’s version.

“That’s total malarkey,” Hughes said. “My client never said a word to him. He got up to pay and when he paid and left a tip, the guy grabbed him.”

Beckett, a 53-year-old church deacon, federal auditor and former Army combat veteran, has pleaded not guilty. His next court appearance comes Oct. 4, two days before the Sooners and Horns tangle in their annual football game at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

Thomas, who once lived in Houston and became a Texas fan during the heyday of star running back Earl Campbell, is still recovering from his injuries but has returned to work as a meat cutter at a Sam’s Club warehouse store.

Like Beckett and Thomas, many fans of the two college squads never attended either university, but have come to identify so closely with these teams that they attach banners to their cars, wear team colors on game day and even have programmed their car horns to play school fight songs.

Dallas police Sgt. Andy Harvey, a 12-year veteran of the force, said it’s not uncommon for fights to break out between fans of the two schools.

“People are passionate about their teams and their universities, and that’s a good thing,” he said, “but when you mix a real passionate sports fan and then get a little alcohol in there, sometimes it’s not a good mix.”

On both Texas and Oklahoma fan Web sites, boosters trade familiar tales of having their car tires slashed or windshields smashed for sporting the opposing team’s sticker in enemy territory.

Assistant District Attorney Scott Rowland said the rivalry will have no bearing on the way the case is prosecuted.

“It appears that it played a part in the fight,” he said, “but that won’t play any more of a role in our handling of the case than would a fight over a girl or a car or a song on the jukebox.”

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20728210/
    MSN Privacy . Legal
    © 2007 MSNBC.com

2. cheapprick

cheapprick Member

Seriously now...

You're Pam right?

3. Pamela69

Pamela69 Member

nicole2320 Sweetie, some of the guys here have an aversion to copy and paste.....

4. nicole2320

nicole2320 Member

Nope I am Nicole, CP....
    I gotcha Pamela, I thought it would be simple to read right here instead of clicking a link

5. MoonMan

MoonMan Member

Just remember that copy/pasting things from the net is no substitute for actual posts written by you. Posting articles is cool, but people start to resent it if that's all you do.

6. grab_grab_the_haddock

grab_grab_the_haddock The Voice Of Reason Established Member

Exactly. Anyone who makes 25 posts a day by flooding the lounge with any inane shit they find on the net is making no contribution whatsoever. They ought to be banned for spamming.

7. Pamela69

Pamela69 Member

Some peeps don't appreciate the time it takes to find good topics to talk about....

So I'm with you,...Heaps of my Threads have been quite successfull...

So,..it's up to you...if you want to Copy and Paste, there are heaps of members that will still read and comment in your Threads...

Good Luck....

8. cheapprick

cheapprick Member

I'm going to try and explain what I've mentioned to you several times now, and a tangent of it that EC tried yesterday.

I would say that you're looking at the creation of threads in the wrong light. Yes, some of them do gain legs but you don't necessarily need to be heaped with accolades for it. ZP is teeming with a bunch of people that are crack-addict like in their need to shoot the shit.

There are lots of examples:
    Pooter's - my nuts are itchy thread
    - did you read any of that? Nothing was being discussed
    My - avatar madness thread
    - 3 pages of disjointed freakishness with people sounding like they were trying to discuss their varying acid trips over the phone
    Notbob's - do I like you thread
    - pages of really off-the-wall stuff if you think about it

Now personally, I'm a sucker for some of your threads. I like to get into the midst and mix it up a bit. I like posting inane shit to get a reaction, then try to argue the righteousness of whatever psychotic theory I've claimed to hold. I call it debate, some forums would call it "doing it for the lulz" or even trolling.

Shithead told you in the other thread what it is that he comes here for, and the stuff he likes to post in.

The point is, I suppose, that none of us really know anything about you or your opinions because you don't seem to hold any. One of the sole times I can think of that you voiced a personal opinion it was so --the right word escapes me-- that you couldn't possibly think it would fly. One of the best exchanges I've seen you have was in the legality of STD transmission thread.

Post shit you find interesting, get er done, but maybe you could bless us with your own thoughts. I could use the chuckles.

9. Jared Moya

Jared Moya Chief News Editor Staff Member Moderator Contributor

(cue the Pam69 laughtrack......)

10. MoonMan

MoonMan Member

[​IMG]

11. Pamela69

Pamela69 Member

Look...I really don't care a Rats Ass what you or EC think of my Posts...

The Solution is simple...Don't read what u don't like....

Don't be a Hypocrite like EC who'll read my Threads and then Bag me for them....

This kind of attitude and harassment of newer Members makes a Mockery of ZP....

You hear that Jorge...Keep your Monkeys on a tight Leash....

Lest you be the Captain that goes down with his ship..

Haven't you noticed the multitude of members that have quit on you, and not come back....

12. DigitalJunkie

DigitalJunkie Still learning.........!

Pam & Nicole,

Copy & paste is fine with me, because I just don't have the time to check the entire net to find what I'm interested in reading. But, maybe final thought(s) or something from you would be nice too!

Don't let others bother you, but do give a bit more of yourself! :)

13. Wurgf

Wurgf Member

They can kill their fans, but they can't stop the Longhorns.