Vision Correction

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wonderboy2005, Mar 19, 2004.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. The past few months, I've been getting some really bad headaches, mainly while reading (be it on the computer or an actual book), and looking at my ipod, etc. So today, I went to an optomitrist (sp?). I found out that I am farsighted and have an astigmatism. This has kinda pissed me off today, but I should have known that I would eventually need correction, as both my parents have glasses. I had made up my mind beforehand that i wouldn't get glasses; I'd go strait to contacts. turns out, I "can't" do that. Apparently, my vision is bad enough that i have to get to the desired level of correction in two steps, as to make it a little easier for my eyes to adjust. It would also seem that glasses will make the transition easier. Once the transition is done though - about 6 months from now - I should be able to get contacts.

So my question to you is this: do you have some sort of vision correction? If so, what type?

I would have made a poll out of this, but polls don't seem to stimulate conversation as much as 'click-and-walk-away' results.
  2. The Hunter

The Hunter Janitor

Oh yeah boy do I ever need glasses. First it was just for distance, but after years of working on electronics, my eyes are pretty much buggered, and im waiting to get my bifocles, and now you all know why im not posting much right now. When I do news on another site it is easy, as it is pretty much copy/paste,but for actual posting it is a slow process. Take care of your eyes bud, I didnt and its costing me now.
  3. begoodbebad

begoodbebad sleeping pygmy

been wearing glasses for over 20 years. The first frames I ever had were appalling big black Joe 90/Dexter style courtesy of the hateful National Health Service. They had been carefully designed to ruin your life and cause extreme laughter in all who saw you wearing them. I deliberately broke beyond repair so my Mum had to get me some better ones. 24 years later she still doesn't know this....and she never will... :devil
    These days I have some extremely nice frameless Silhouette glasses with transitions/reactalite lenses. Got them while travelling in India and saved maybe £150 over the UK price. They are bendy titanium, I have sat on them, dropped them, even stepped on them and they will never break. Superlight and I can wear them when cycling instead of expensive sports glasses. Wonderboy if you choose carefully and maybe spend a little extra you can get something you actually like. :aim
  4. shawners

shawners Hurt no more my son.

Texas, im in.. THERE is LASER correction, and wave guided laser eye surgery.. a 1000 an eye and they promise 20/20 vision or your money back.. one guy did over 50000 surgerys. I would recommend that if at all possible. Finace or credit card.. Never buy or need glasses again, or contact lenses.. I havent got it cause i have a house and other responsibilities.. Given the chance, i would do it!
  5. The Hunter

The Hunter Janitor

shawners that is a possibility, but as there have been problems with night vision, and also as it is a developing science, plus the fact that all of the studies I have seen saying great things about it have been payed for by the industry that stand to profit the most from a good review. i would tread very lightly concerning any laser surgery, untill it is developed further, as it is still a very young science, growing quickly. Not insulting your views, but just adding an opposing one to create thought.
  6. I already picked out my Glasses... the best way to describe them would be 'extremely minimalistic Drew Carey' style frames. i know that drew's military style glasses are horrible looking, but these look pretty decent.

here's the price setup:
    Guess spring loaded frames - $105
    2x Poly-carbonate lenses - $180 ($90 a peice)

my dad had laser surgery a few years back for his cateracts(sp?). it was getting to the point that even glasses couldnt correct his vision enough - he had 20/200 in one eye and 20/300 in the other. he still has glasses, but his vision is exponetially better now.
  7. YWD67

YWD67 YOUR WATCH DOG 67 Established Member

Been waring glasses ever since my arms were no longer long enough to hold something in front of me to read. I Have excellent distant vision. Someone had mentioned laser surgery for vision correction. I however am one of the 1 in 6 that can not have that type of vision surgery. My cornea is to thin for the laser to sculp to the right kind of concave shape to improve my vision. There is nothing wrong with specs my friend.
  8. MacGyver

MacGyver Got My Swiss Army Knife

Just get laser correction, its not that much (600$ an eye) and it makes life way easier.
  9. shawners

They have over 6 FDA approved laser correction machines. And the doctor thats approved using it, also teaches other doctors how to perform corrective surgery. Its been going strong here for over 3 years now. It started out with laser surgery that had a blade that cut the top of the eyes, and the laser would use a few little beams to correct it. now they have bladeless laser surgery. thats the best one. The ones who had difficulties have resulted in the blade cutting deeply and not repairing. THe wave front guided laser is the best one on the market. I have heard Dj's on radio who have had the eye surgery, players in the sporting industry. Imagine wakeing up and having correct vision without glasses or putting contact lenses in.. And haveing 20/20 vision without the hassle of glasses. Dust or steam wont fog them up or irritate your eyes. If i could i would do it. ALso they coucel people and do test to see if your a canidate for laser surgery. And thats why they ask you to come visit to see how much your eyes would improve. Come to the states and USA to have correction surgery, cause if they goof up you could sue them for malipractice, which makes them more cautious and aware of the precedures.
  10. isus

isus Member

i wear glasses all the time. i intend to get laser eye surgery later on, if nothing but to reduce the strength i need...
  11. wingnut2600

wingnut2600 Reaping what I sow... Established Member

Nearsighted -- 20/450 or so... I usually wear contacts, but am currently using my glasses (which are feather-light and worth the extra cash for XTREME thinning).

I have been wearing glasses for the past 18 years or so... contacts are much better as glasses make things smaller at my level of blindness.
  12. CompuGeek

CompuGeek File Sharing Giant

I'm as nearsighted as you can get. My contact lens power is -8.5. Around -10 is legally blind. Glasses were always a pain because I needed coke bottle lenses.

I've been using some fancy Night & Day contacts the last few months. They are a Godsend. I can't recommend them enough. It's a superpermeable soft contact you put in and forget about for a month and then throw away. No cleaning solution. Zero maintenance. Here's a link.

You can order them from your eye doctor or from www.drugstore.com
  13. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Member

Im nearsighted and wear contacts, which i like much better than glasses. Greater field of vision than glasses and it just feels more natural. Taking them in and out isnt that hard once you get used to it.
  14. Kyle06

Kyle06 Member

No I don't have any vision problems, and I hope I don't ever, although my mom where's contacts and dad sometimes uses glasses I am fine so far, but now that I ginked it, it won't be long....

damn it
  15. begoodbebad

begoodbebad sleeping pygmy

Hey who let you in? this thread is for speccy four eyed goggle monsters only :hi
  16. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

I dont wear glasses for vision correction but just because their cool. whats wrong with glasses? they make me look smart even though im dumb as a rock.
  17. beardedwonder

beardedwonder Life's shit, get over it.

I have astigmatism and wear monthly contacts but around the house i just wear a pair of galsses. I'm very wary of laser surgery and think i'll wait to see what happens to the people who are getting it done now in 5-10 yrs time.
  18. nasrules

nasrules PeerWebmaster

It's optometrist, in case no-one pointed it out :)

I've been wearing glasses since I was about three - I'm long-sighted and have an astigmatism and a squint in my left eye (it was in both eyes but I've had three operations - one on the right and two on the left).

The left one is still present but when I'm wearing my glasses it isn't noticeable due to them positioning the point of best something somewhere (I don't ask!).

I also have monocular vision - my eyes don't work together. It is possible for me to get binocular vision but it requires a lot of concentration.

Anyway, the point is, someone said 'Just get laser correction' - it isn't always that simple. If I wore contacts my squint would be visible due to them not being able to do the correction thing due to my astigmatism. Basically, I'm stuck with glasses, but I've had them for so long that it's second nature.
  19. shawners

I have been wearing glasses since 95.. I came back home to texas to live, and i couldnt pass the driver license test cause i couldnt read the chart, so i had to go get glasses.. I know that if you dont wear your glasses as you should, your eyes wont strengthen or they may get worst. So in a year or two im going to op for the laser surgery, maybe around income tax time =)