Verizon Bans P2P, Streaming Services and Online Gaming.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jorge, Apr 5, 2007.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Jorge

Jorge Forum Admin Staff Member Administrator

They say that the devil is in the detail and to always read the small print. Well, if your ISP happens to be Verizon and you’re on the EVDO Wireless Data Service, this is great advice. Read their Terms of Service and you will see; P2P is banned, as are streaming services such as YouTube. And the ‘Unlimited’ transfers you were paying for? Forget it! (Digg and comment this)

More...
  2. bigpoppapuff

bigpoppapuff Member

well that really bites and just another way to screw the public once again. just like the mobile phones.
  3. hawkburn

hawkburn Yup...

Google really needs to start innovating here. They need to bring huge wireless networks to entire large cities, that can be accessed by anyone (without having to sign on.) Of course, to pay for the bandwidth, I guess a tax increase would be in order. It would likely be less than $50/month though, so I wouldn't mind.
  4. StormNinja

StormNinja Member Established Member

How to Congergate the Verb Verizon

I have not used Verizon.
    I will not use Verizon.
    I shall not use Verizon.
    He, she and it will not/shall not/ would not/should not, use Verizon( if they have any sense )....
  5. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Member

Calling it the Unlimited plan and then having a limit is pretty deceptive of Verizon and they should change the name of the plan.

I have seen the EVOD internet access in action. This kind of internet is made really for business use anyone using it for home use is really dumb because it costs alot, latency isnt that great and you can get much faster speeds with a regular high speed internet connection.

I don't think Verizon should be beat up on this because some Cable internet providers do the same thing with their high speed home internet access.

There are already big wireless projects before. I don't like it because wireless is slower and doesn't have as good latency as a wired internet connection. And there is the issue of what policies and enforcement of such a network. Because they are accessible by anyone the citizens of that area end up having to pay for the bandwidth that visitors use.
    1 person likes this.
  6. testicles

testicles Member

If you ban all of the reasons for a customer to use your high-speed, why would they use it?
  7. DigitalJunkie

DigitalJunkie Still learning.........!

It's just for their wireless network, they need all the bandwidth for video, voice & data! You want high-speed, get a wired internet connection instead. It's cheaper anyway!
  8. CCSDUDE

CCSDUDE Proud Girl Lover

what they need to do is fund a 'free the net' shopping spree for a select group of people willing to set up wifi hotspots

this is the same method used by pirate broadcasters in italy to skirt the governments rule over the media

http://www.archive.org/details/ngv_rm_ita_20030703_ciccioant
  9. Jared Moya

Jared Moya Chief News Editor Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I agree. If you look at the specifics of the wireless package its really geared towards business customers anyways whom probably arent going to be playing WOW or running BT while on the road.

I mean honestly, who would be paying for a wireless connection anyways? Gaming and P2P programs are by and large going to be done via a hard wired home internet connection.
  10. DwarfBaby

DwarfBaby Member

I'm sorry, I must have missed an episode. When did CCSDUDE get paroled? Anyways, given the current state of affairs I guess it couldn't hurt.

On subject yes Verizon sucks.