Today's Delicacy: Hand-Shredded Ass Meat (MSNBC)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Drew Wilson, Apr 23, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

[​IMG]

BEIJING – Overseas tourists often find the menus here befuddling, for good reason.

After all, what Westerner has experience with foods like these? “Cowboy leg,” “Hand-shredded ass meat,” “Red-burned lion head,” “Strange flavor noodles,” “Blow-up flatfish with no result,” or “Tofu made by woman with freckles.”

As proud as the Chinese people are of their thousands of years of gastronomic culture, even a Chinese native can feel disoriented when going to another province, given all the different styles of cooking. Many of the food names, often unique to different provinces, get lost in translation, especially in booming cities starting to embrace overseas tourists.

With few English speakers, restaurants usually translate their menus word by word directly from an English-Chinese dictionary. Or they just Google the Chinese characters. A photo that made the rounds online a few years ago got a chuckle from a lot of people: a restaurant with a large “page not found” sign above its door as its English name.

More...

I wonder if this will be the butt of a few jokes.

2. bcwar

bcwar Member

You would think hand shredded ass meat would translate very easily across many dialects

3. RACKnRAIL

RACKnRAIL 今は知っているでしょ Staff Member Moderator

I'm getting pulled pork here. I usually use butt roast for my pulled pork and then hand shred it. It all makes sense to me :/

4. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

A previous delicacy:

[​IMG]

5. HelenaP

HelenaP go luath.. céanna go luat Established Member Contributor

"Ass" can be justified (to some extent) as derived from donkey, but "Fuck the duck until exploded?"

<*sigh* Hangs head...>