This just in: helium prices UP (Boston Herald)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Drew Wilson, Apr 30, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

A desperate helium shortage is inflating prices on the natural gas faster than a runaway blimp, threatening to burst the dreams — and spike the costs — of everyone from balloon businesses to welders to squeak-voiced party inhalers.

“My prices have almost doubled,” said Maureen Curreri Collier, owner of Boston Balloon Events. “A balloon bouquet last year probably off the top of my head would be $15.50 for 11-inch balloons. This year you pay probably $30.”

Like natural gas, helium is not renewable. And the federal helium reserves, located in Amarillo, Texas, and managed by the U.S. Department of the Interior, “won’t last 10 years,” said Joe Peterson, assistant field manager for helium resources. “But throughout the U.S. and the world there is enough to last another 50 years.”

Peterson said worldwide production has slowed, causing a crunch among refiners. Local companies that depend on helium already are feeling deflated.

Christine Bernstein, owner of Balloon City in East Boston, said she’s still able to fill all her orders, but has noticed helium is harder to come by.

More...

Looks like the future of consumer grade helium is really up in the air.

2. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

Maybe society will finally take notice of elements on the endangered list. Now my question is why are we still allowing people to purchase helium for things such as party supplies when there are far more important industries using the chemical? Its like using water to wash the sand off your shoes in the middle of a desert when you are dying of thirst, you prioritize uses.

3. mfgbypooter

mfgbypooter Super Pooper Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if blowing helium up your ass would make your farts light and airy.