The original Bittorrent client

Discussion in 'File Sharing' started by bikinicalls, Jun 5, 2008.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 7 users.
  1. bikinicalls

bikinicalls Guest

I just wanted to say that the original bittorrent client is great, I don't know why anyone would need anything else, it downloads your files, what else is there?

2. baksteen

baksteen Member

what? im sorry you make no sense what so ever, firstly you might want to give it a name, as to which one you are talking about, as there are many bittorrent clients out there. and i think almost every bittorrent client and any other filesharing app downloads files

so what is this thread about?

3. bikinicalls

bikinicalls Guest

As far as I know, there is only one bittorrent.com client. However, your right I think there are tons of torrent clients out there though.

The reason why I posted it is because I don't understand why there are so many torrent clients out, all we want to do is download files and store them in a specified directory. What more do we really need?

Anyhow, this thread is a shout out to bittorrent.com because I used their client and it's the best, flawless and never ever froze on me, ever.

Some torrent clients cause your router to create excessive firewall rules and what happens is your other computers internet is very slow as a result.

4. rocket357

rocket357 Member

I know this is a "sideshow freak" kind of thing, but I prefer a command-line only client (ctorrent). I don't need a silly GUI to download a friggin' torrent...heh.

That's about the only reason I see, though I'm sure the plethora of clients out there all have their own features/characteristics/requirements/etc...

The *original* bittorrent client, as the OP posted here:

1 person likes this.
  5. carpefile

carpefile Chronic Established Member

Not too shabby for a sig spammer. Actual general content banter and all.:icon_salu

1 person likes this.
  6. bikinicalls

bikinicalls Guest

There is a computer nerd that I know and he hates using windows computers. Kind of sounds like you, hehe

And he finds a way to do everyone from typing on the black screen prompt. It's macintosh and linux I think.

7. rocket357

rocket357 Member

I stick mainly to Gentoo Linux for "easy to use desktop" stuff, and FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Linux From Scratch for "I actually want to learn something new" stuff. It's sad, I know...my wife will be the first to tell you I'm a nerd. She wasn't exactly amused when I came home with 2 40U server racks one day, and I couldn't fit them both in my home office...

And the prompt doesn't always have to be black background and white letters...heh. This link shows a transparent terminal...(feel free to browse the rest of my collection of screenshots there...heh).

http://www.putfile.com/pic/7851730

Edit - found a better image to link...

8. drtoker

drtoker Zeropaid VIP Established Member

There are many reasons to use an alternative client. Ease of use, extra features, memory management, web access, originazation, etc...

Just like, why would anyone use vista ultimate, when vista business works good enough?
    Features my friend, features.

9. HelenaP

HelenaP go luath.. céanna go luat Established Member Contributor

You are my long lost twin, CF. I have been watching this all day. Finally someone with the cojones to say it.

I would have, but I'm not feeling well. Thank you my brother. Points are in the mail.

10. rocket357

rocket357 Member

sig spammer? Who's a sig spammer?

11. Jared Moya

Jared Moya Chief News Editor Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I switched over from Azureus (which I swear has faster connection speeds) and all its bells and whistles to uTorrent about a year ago now and I'm never going back.

12. freeloader105

freeloader105 Member

Hey, same here. I used Az until I tried out UT just a single time.. UT uses so little system resources, it's practically invisible. And, at least for me, UT immediately gave faster download speeds.

13. RACKnRAIL

RACKnRAIL 今は知っているでしょ Staff Member Moderator

After reading that post, if I'm not mistaken, I believe soul was referring to the original BT client, not UT.

14. freeloader105

freeloader105 Member

Unless I'm going insane..

15. RACKnRAIL

I swear if he didn't edit that post, I'm losing it.

16. freeloader105

freeloader105 Member

I think we're all due for the madhouse now lol.

1 person likes this.
  17. RACKnRAIL

Gotta stop smokin that shit.

1 person likes this.
  18. Jared Moya

Jared Moya Chief News Editor Staff Member Moderator Contributor

No I didnt edit it [EDITED BY SOULXTC]

I do remember using the OG BT client back in the beginning though (shudders), it was so clunky and visually unappealing (not that it needed to be).

I also remember pics of Bram too up on the DL site holding his baby and using the guilt trip to ask you for donations.

And actually what really made me decide to switch is when it went 3.0 and added all that Vuze store BS. It finally dawned on me that I didn't need any funky "3-D view," Soduku, or any other plugin nonsense. A client with a small memory footprint and simple tasking features is all I need.

19. Signa

Signa COCK ROCKET!!! Established Member

you mean that piece of crap that would use all your upload bandwith, killing all your download speeds and would only download one torrent per instance of the program? yeah, i SEE NO REASON WAHT SO EVAR TO USE ANYTHING BUT THE ORIGINAL BIT TORRENT CLIENT.

To be fair, if you only download a single torrent at a time, aren't interested in seeding, and don't want a clunky UI when one isn't necessary, then I guess it's ok. Even so, I'm pretty sure that UT's memory footprint is less than that of the orginal BT while it does more.

Bragging that you still use the original BT and saying you can't comprehend why anyone would need anything else is kind of a dick move though.

20. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

Dogster - I believe was the first.