The KONY 2012 Campaign is a Fraud (reddit)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Drew Wilson, Mar 7, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

1. Before we begin talking about this issue, lets take a look at the charity in question. Invisible Children scores a lowly 2 out of 4 for transparency on charity navigator for refusing to be independently audited (having other accountants prepare and check your books and financials) Link

2. The IC has stated they are being shady. How you ask? They are providing misinformation to woo idealistic followers. The group have combined multiple regional conflicts to make it appear that this is one rapidly increasing issue. When confronted about their dodgy tactics, the head spokesperson stated;

“I agree with you that leading people to believe that the war is still happening in Uganda is not ethically right. It's something we've been addressing internally, focusing on getting all staff and supporters on the same page (of communication)." - Source is Here i will hunt for a more recognizable source for you guys

If you read the news, or even had an ounce of interest in the on-going unrest in Africa you would already know this and not be fooled. Yes, awful things happen to people in 3rd world countries but this has been occurring for centuries, it isn't a recent occurrence.

3. The IC have CLEARLY stated their purpose is to push the US into intervening and supporting the local govenment, whom are just as corrupt as the LRA. They want US troops to get involved. I for one rather this be a UN joint mission like Libya, but my last point will point to why i think the US would want to intervene. again source

More...

Interesting.
  2. Drew Wilson

Since this thread got nearly 400 views in less than 3 hours, here's another post to add to this:

For those asking what you can do to help, please link to visiblechildren.tumblr.com wherever you see KONY 2012 posts. And tweet a link to this page to famous people on Twitter who are talking about KONY 2012!

I do not doubt for a second that those involved in KONY 2012 have great intentions, nor do I doubt for a second that Joseph Kony is a very evil man. But despite this, I’m strongly opposed to the KONY 2012 campaign.

KONY 2012 is the product of a group called Invisible Children, a controversial activist group and not-for-profit. They’ve released 11 films, most with an accompanying bracelet colour (KONY 2012 is fittingly red), all of which focus on Joseph Kony. When we buy merch from them, when we link to their video, when we put up posters linking to their website, we support the organization. I don’t think that’s a good thing, and I’m not alone.

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal for an issue which arguably needs action and aid, not awareness, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they lack an external audit committee. But it goes way deeper than that.

More...
  3. evilmegaman

evilmegaman ZP Superhero Established Member

I figured as much about it. Still, how many people even know about the whole situation?
  4. Drew Wilson

Not many which can be why there's many shady "charity" organizations. I bet you that, if it could be worked right, one could easily sell a story that a small African nation got hit by a meteor. Donate to this charity because you could help stop the spread of a potentially dangerous disease! Yeah, skip the country at the right time, it's possible to make it out with millions before people start asking NASA what's going on.
  5. Drew Wilson

OK, I have to ask. How did this thread's pageviews sky-rocket to well over 4,000?

I did something right, I wanna know how I did it this time. O.O