Split Between two Distros

Discussion in 'Desktop' started by Bluetsunami, Dec 22, 2004.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Bluetsunami

Bluetsunami Member

Hi, I'm serioulsy thinking about doing a dual-boot with my WinXP and Linux (off of two separated harddisks, on 10Gig and the other 160Gig).

I just wanted to ask all of your opinions on which Distro I should go with. They are Slackware or Fedora 3. I was seriouly thinking about Fedora 3 (I already downloaded and burnt the 4 Installation CDs). But I have a friend that keeps telling me to go with Slackware (His reasoning is because its more Unix like, therefore its better. Also that Fedora is to much like Windows).

Anyways if you can all give me your opinions on this it would be greatly appreciated.

2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius Established Member

i think fedora would be better for you, not because slackware is hard, but because i think fedora is more aimed at new users, and has a lot of tools and wizards created to help you learn the ways things are done differently than windows.

3. Greylin

Greylin Well Ladifrickenda Established Member

Go Lindows....or whatever the hell they are calling it now.

j/k

4. mp3MaStA88

mp3MaStA88 BrAiNdEaD803

lindows=linspire and it is crap all the way through. it doesn't support wireless usb and is too noob like. Fedora 3 is actually pretty great, i have it on my other harddrive and is great with the system and running programs as well. So between what your friend says and how much you know about unix pick what you what. Slackware is more unix like and fedora 3 is more userfriendly.

5. FrozenShadow23

FrozenShadow23 Black Mage Power.

Fedora or Mandrake for beginners

6. Bluetsunami

Bluetsunami Member

As far as being a new user. I've taken up Sun System Admin classes. So I know alot of Unix commands. Its my understanding though that Linux commands (and their syntaxes) are different from Unix. But in the time I started this thread I made my decision.

Slackerware.

Simply because from what I've heard, its more Unix like. I'm also doing this so I can brush up on my commands so when I get Certified as a Unix System Administrator.

Thanks for your responses. (I'm installing Slackerware tonight)

Oh and one more question.....I'm installing Slackerware on the Primare Slave Harddisk. Should I use Partition Magic as the Boot Loader (It gives me the option in Partition Magic 8 to do this) or should I use LILO?

7. I would check ot Fedora over Slackware. I find Fedora to be a easy install and it gives you the pleasant interface from the start. Although you have to remember Fedora is not technically stable and that it is a testing ground for many new applications. I would be inclined to check out Mandrake or Suse.

8. FrozenShadow23

FrozenShadow23 Black Mage Power.

I personally like slack

9. Deegin

Deegin Bittorrent Man Whore

I like Fedora Core 3, I haven't had any problems with it myself.. although I haven't tried Slackware yet personally, I plan to soon just to compare them myself.

As for your boot question, however you choose to dual boot.. make sure you make a windows boot disk just in-case.. I learned this the hard way. A fried MBR is rather annoying. =(

I copied the following 3 files onto a blank and freshly formatted floppy disk: boot.ini, NTDETECT.COM and ntldr

Like I said, you might not NEED it, but it's good to have it incase your MBR gets messed up somehow..

10. evilmegaman

evilmegaman ZP Superhero Established Member

LILO or grub do pretty good jobs :)