Singer Usher reveals RIAA lies

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Sk8er Boi, Mar 31, 2004.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Sk8er Boi

Sk8er Boi Member

Usher's fifth album, "Confessions" (Arista), sold 1.1million copies in its first week of release in the U.S., and will debut atop The Billboard 200 this week. The tally gives Usher the best debut week of 2004. Once again, Usher now joins the likes of Norah in telling the industry no to the crap they've been throwing at us about P2P ruining the industry and that people want substance and good music rather than 1 good song and a whole lot of image.

2. que-em

que-em Better Than Work

I would have never expected him to sell like that. Something must be special bout ole boy.

3. notbob

notbob I say what I want Established Member

what do you mean?

both he and norah were always industry puppets

norah started out as an experiment to see if rebates to record stores would sell more cds (low and behold her album sold tons of copies)

4. DainBramaged

DainBramaged I have a twitch

It's probably due to the immense popularity of his single, "Yeah."

5. Evil_Dweller_01

Evil_Dweller_01 Your Favorite News Mod

hey, that's a good song :)

6. djy2ray

djy2ray Member

...and that song "Yeah" is available of every P2P program out there. So people download the song, listen to it...and want the CD. Now for the most part, a great majority of people want an original CD...they don't want a burned copy, they don't want to download each and every song at different bit rates and volume levels. Once the RIAA gets this through their heads, they'll realize it isn't P2P that's causing CD sales to drop...it's the outrageous price for a round piece of plastic that costs about $0.10 and a $0.20 jewel case. The printed inserts may run about a buck. Then you run the risk of buying a CD with a couple of good songs...fortunately for Usher, he has a reputation of putting out a good product.

I own over 3,000 cds...each one purchased mainly because I DJ...I really don't have time to listen to music, but the cds I have listened to are not worth the money I paid for them and even after using these cds to make money, I still don't think they're worth my investment.

BTW, I also bought Usher's CD...

7. david88

david88 Member

the RIAA will probably say the albums are selling well because of their "crackdown" on p2p users

8. Sk8er Boi

Sk8er Boi Member

Actually the reason we have Norah is because Blue Notes, her label, tried cashing in on the piano playing Alicia Keys' success. People bought her albums because she actually has talent.

I got an advance copy of "Confessions" and I really really like it, if it's priced nice enough I might just buy it too.

9. shawners

shawners Hurt no more my son.

NORA JONES only sold so many albums after the fact she won 5 grammys.. Its a better marketing strategy to have won an award to make people believe the album is good, rather then waiting four months for a nother single to play off the radio.

10. rebirth

rebirth Transmission Intermittent

yeah...you ever heard her sing? she sounds like the sewing lady that's on PBS sometimes...clenched upper lip...and disabled-sounding voice

hate it!

11. .::BeatFactory::.

.::BeatFactory::. The man, the myth,...

The reason she (Norah) sells is because she doesn't appeal as strongly to the typical demographic of teenagers - young adults. She was more targeted towards the older audience, ie. 40's and up... this demographic is less likely to know how to download and use p2p than a typical young adult/teenager so she sold more... plus, that demographic has a lot more disposable income than the younger demographic.

hehe.... that's some marketing + economics work for ya there...

12. Siskabush

Siskabush ZP Trancecore Cussin

The grammys are meaningless now. They are given to no-talent losers who moan and whine to a simple drum loop. And they dont even feature Electronica!

As for Usher, he sucks, more pap added to the mainstream.

13. Sk8er Boi

Sk8er Boi Member

Then why did Usher sell so many last week?