Sea Ice Ends Year at Same Level as 1979 (DailyTech)

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Drew Wilson, Jan 7, 2009.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 5 users.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Rapid growth spurt leaves amount of ice at levels seen 29 years ago.

Thanks to a rapid rebound in recent months, global sea ice levels now equal those seen 29 years ago, when the year 1979 also drew to a close.

Ice levels had been tracking lower throughout much of 2008, but rapidly recovered in the last quarter. In fact, the rate of increase from September onward is the fastest rate of change on record, either upwards or downwards.

The data is being reported by the University of Illinois's Arctic Climate Research Center, and is derived from satellite observations of the Northern and Southern hemisphere polar regions.

More...

Note: Michael Asher, or, Masher as he's sometimes called, is known on DailyTech for believing that global warming doesn't exist and reports with this perspective.
  2. DigitalJunkie

DigitalJunkie Still learning.........!

Perhaps, we've lower demand for oil is working. :)
  3. w31n3r

w31n3r Zeropaid Irregular Established Member

i'd like to believe that, but it's a far cry. falling fuel prices will take care of that anyway:drunken_s

but is it just me or is this winter actually colder than the last? Tip: sometimes to stay warm, i just think of the heating bill i'm going to get and instantly break out in a sweat. try it :icon_thum
  4. Jared Moya

Jared Moya Chief News Editor Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Thats why proponents of global warming now call it "climate change."

Its a bunch of BS. Let's just start building more fuel-efficient cars and clean up after ourselves already.

Stop the madness.
  5. YWD67

YWD67 YOUR WATCH DOG 67 Established Member

What i love about this douche is that anyone who disagrees or comes up with factual data that throws a monkey wrench into his data is called a Al G. loving Marxist. The dick has not got a clue what aMarxist is.
    The thin sheet ice will increase as the salinity value drops in the sea surounding the poles as the land ice melts and more fresh water delutes the salt solutuoin in the sea. The lower the salinity the more readily it is able to freeze at higher temps. The land mass ice continues to melt and disapear at an excelirated rate every year.
    This jerks blogg (self opinionated ,and data picking) is incomplete censored and omissive of other interactive data at best.
    If I am a Marxist by his view fine. But I will be one that looks at all the information without blinders on as he does.
  6. Jared Moya

Jared Moya Chief News Editor Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Calling you a Marxist is just stupid. Shows there's idiots on BOTH sides of the debate.
  7. Excrement_Cranium

Excrement_Cranium Just Sick Established Member

Erm. Yeah. This article had already been posted and debunked in another thread.
  8. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

Why would you do that if its all bullshit?

Logic and real science is now madness? Exxon did their job really well. They set out to get a bunch of people who do not want to believe the science to make it look like the scientists are a part of some conspiracy that includes the government and all sorts of other aspects that has nothing to do with the real scientific data and there-by delude the facts to a point where the general public can't figure out fact from fiction. Its sad. There are a lot of people who suddenly don't trust science because the scientists are telling them something they do not want to hear...much like the religious community.

Man could NEVER come from an ape and man can NEVER effect the environment because God made man in his image and God would not allow us to effect the environment so he fixes it for us. No need to worry about the tremendous energy that we have learned to release in huge volumes because God uses his magic broom to keep everything just right. Science is bullshit madness and using perfect logic is stupid because releasing stored energy in volumes of 100 volcanoes erupting everyday does nothing because man is not allowed to effect the earth and its very thin atmosphere.

Now I see! I see! Please dig up more of the Exxon so called propaganda so I can learn real science instead of listening to the true scientific community on these matters that inconvenience me. I should have just stayed in church so I would not have to think for myself and they could have told me what I think and believe.
  9. mfgbypooter

mfgbypooter Super Pooper Staff Member Moderator

If I were a scientist and you paid me enough I'd tell you all that energy we release every day not only causes global warming it is also the primary cause of AIDS.

10. El Comandante

El Comandante Merde! Established Member

I wonder who's paying these guys:

http://stats.org/stories/2008/global_warming_survey_apr23_08.html
  11. mfgbypooter

mfgbypooter Super Pooper Staff Member Moderator

The operative word in the whole quote is believe. The rest are unsure.

Sounds like they are either religious nuts of the scientific type or agnostic to their own faith.

12. N Fiddledog

N Fiddledog Don't taze me Bro

If you asked Global Warming skeptics those same questions you'd get similar results. The argument isn't over whether, or not the global climate has been warming as we pull out of the little ice age, or even whether or not man's activities can affect temperature in some small way.

The argument is over how much, and if it matters. The answers are generally not much, if at all to both. That's hundreds if not thousands of skeptical scientists, and more every week, saying that in various forms.

My personal hero Mark Twain had some interesting things to say on how much credence we should give to a scientific consensus though, even if it could be shown to exist. Did you know at one time the consensus was doctors shouldn't bother washing their hands before surgery? The consensus guys drove the physician into an insane asylum who disagreed with them. It's a sad story.

More on that here.

In the midst of all these blathering lies on how skeptical scientists are in the pay of big oil, there's an almost religious fevered, ignorance, or cognitive dissonance exerting a demand on those who are preached it not to listen to what the skeptic scientists are actually saying. If they did, they'd know it's actually quite reasonable, and of the two sides it's the one with the actual hard, real world science supporting it. The human caused global warming hypothesis is built on a foundation of computer models, and only further evidenced by more hypotheses.
  13. El Comandante

El Comandante Merde! Established Member

What other word would make you happy? Perhaps replace "believe" with "swear on the lives of their mothers"....

Ahhh an article from the blog of Stephen DeMaura, the founder of the Stop Hillary group and the executive director of the New Hampshire Republican Party. Very profound.

Those damn liberal media people....

Making Money by Feeding Confusion Over Global Warming ABC News

Funding a Global-Warming Skeptic Wired News/Associated Press

Small Colorado coal burner pays big bucks to climate change denier Grist

Climatologist's private work debated Richmond Times-Dispatch

Rewriting The Science: Scientist Says Politicians Edit Global Warming Research CBS News
  14. N Fiddledog

N Fiddledog Don't taze me Bro

All blaspheming of the Goddess aside, the link was given to show you a quote from Mark Twain concerning cases of "Scientific consensus being incorrect. So what are you saying? Mark Twain was in the employ of Big oil?

And I see your links, and I raise you...

An article on a site I've often been linked too by you guys

The previous link I gave you was an article from CBS, because you guys like those mainstream sources. (You gave me a link to CBS.) If you want to double-think that policy though, I don't mind.

Most references to support the "skepticism is funded by big energy" trope are referenced with info pre-2006. (yours was). The reason for that is big energy has recently switched sides. The money and power is in alarmism now. Skeptic scientists however continue to multiply and publish in spite of this.

Follow the money 1 (the old argument)

Go ahead google the names of the top foundations financing climate change propaganda from even the bad old days. See where the money really was.

[​IMG]

Here's who got the cash.

[​IMG]

Follow the Money 2 (more recent) (pdf)

On your "Jim Hansen was muzzled" link, I've already had that debate (starts here). Don't wanna do it again. Basically though when alarmists claim censorship it's because they want to use a government platform to issue agitprop. When alarmists claim censorship it's because they've been fired, threatened, or pushed into the background.