Satellite Picture of BP Oil Spill (Picture Incl) (Bad Astronomy)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Drew Wilson, Jun 23, 2010.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 9 users.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Click

The thing I like about this whole oil spill is that state of the art technology has been put to good use to inform us with varying degrees of accuracy how screwed we are.
  2. Potato

Potato poe-tay-toe Established Member

Well you know, two months and oil's still spewing out.
  3. Aaron_Walkhouse

Aaron_Walkhouse The Legendary Axeman Established Member

Where's the water? [​IMG]
  4. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

Whoa! Thats worse than I had imagined! Most people are not fully aware of the amount of water that the gulf contains. Its a very very large volume of water and even a million gallons of oil would only be a small oily spot and get dispersed fairly easily. Now looking at this mess it is clear that BP has lied all along. That has to be BILLIONS of gallons of oil in the gulf! That pic is amazing! A sea of oil! This is FAR FAR worse that I thought...probably because I have tried hard to block it all out. The bitching had got on my nerves. Its a bad accident and thats that.

This will have GLOBAL ramifications and thats probably why countries like Iran are not offering to help out. If this goes on as long as is forecast we are in extreme trouble. Everyone. This could disrupt weather patterns because of the oil density and perhaps even stop the sea rivers that control our weather and keep it charged up providing us rain. Yes, this could be life changing...or ending!
  5. HelenaP

HelenaP go luath.. céanna go luat Established Member Contributor

Wait. You didn't know how bad it is?

For people in Louisiana

It
    Is
    F*CKED
    UP
    Really
    Really
    Bad

I am not yelling at you either. I am having very negative feelings about the president that everyone BUT me voted for, the dumbass that WAS in charge of BP and that cunt that rules England.
  6. Drew Wilson

I'm curious now. What should the president have done if something else could be done to stop the oil spill? If I recall correctly, he demanded that BP pay for subsequent damages caused by this and he tried putting a moratorium on drilling.

I've also spoken to a few British people and they can't figure out why Obama is so hard on BP over this. It's interesting that there's such a huge difference of opinion on this depending on where people come from.
  7. Psilaxs

Psilaxs Harbinger of mass Exodus Established Member

yes we are doomed .. all sea life will die.. the north atlantic current will stop dead bringing in a huge ice age, we will have to call in dennis quaid... yes this is terrible, it is horrible, and it was preventable, but things will be fine (eventually) i promise.

And as a proper douche i will NOW go look at the posted pic after i already gave my opinion HA

*edit* o.k looks like the gulf no longer exists and it is the gulf of oil.. hope no one owns property within 3 thousand miles.

im interested in how far and when this will spread.. what will they do quarantine the entire gulf cutting off shipping lanes?? Highly doubtfull... look out britain america will be invading your shores shortly - thanks to yourselves
    1 person likes this.
  8. HelenaP

Damn f*cking skippy...
  9. Mels_Smileys45

Well, expect the spill to at least DOUBLE in size from its current standing. The damn thing got hit by a robot (?) today and is back gushing full force, over 100,000 barrels a day (?), and another "solution" is not due until Aug (?)!!!!! This seems to be an amazing size oil find and I am not sure if anyone expected to find such a gusher in the region. I mean this things seems to be pumping out with some SERIOUS force even at incredible pressures that are many times greater than our own atmosphere. I wonder what the atmospheric pressure is at that depth? Anyways...its the end of the world.
  10. Drew Wilson

I knew someone who worked at a gas station once. He said that we have an incredible amount of oil to fuel our cars. The thing was, we are going through that oil at an incredible rate too. I forget the figure for how much gas that is sold in a single gas station, but the amount was pretty incredible - especially for one of those "out of the way" stations.
  11. thepuzzler

thepuzzler parp

1 person likes this.
  12. Aaron_Walkhouse

Aaron_Walkhouse The Legendary Axeman Established Member

I'm sure if the spill was oiling up UK shores, causing billions of pounds in damage
    and shutting down more billions in business there would be similar feelings there.
  13. Psilaxs

a 159.x bar.. which is roughly...hold on.. 2300 some odd psi and it is billowing out like a crack head exhaling smoke even at that pressure... the worst though is that some speculate there is such enormous pressure in this well that it may end up pumping itself dry.

this is americas chernobyl.. only not as cool.. hard to give tours of a dead gulf; not so hard to give tours of an irradiated city.
  14. Psilaxs

Only the cocky (or is it cockney) over confident looking down upon thou british to fuck something up this bad. this makes the exxon valdez (sp) look like a sneeze

P.S sorry no offense puzzler... we dont hate you or the brits were just pissed
    but the people in control and the ones handing down the cost cutting measures were british.

Would bp have taken such measures in any other area of the world? No, but then again it is the least the british could do for us coercing them into the never ending "war on terror"
  15. thepuzzler

thepuzzler parp

16. Mels_Smileys45

In another month, when we are STILL talking about why this thing is still gushing, I think it will be hitting home to the WORLD how dangerous this situation is rapidly becoming. The Earth is showing its wrath! This is the sort of little fuck up that causes mass extinction of an intelligent species!!! It didn't kill the cat, it killed the world! I am being melodramatic but this thing has potential of actually causing the lose of even human lives. It will be crazy interesting when the hurricanes start blowing up the Gulf this year! Oil could saturate a LARGE part of the food producing states!
  17. mfgbypooter

mfgbypooter Super Pooper Staff Member Moderator

The Persian Gulf spill in 91 was wayyyyy worse than this and life still goes on.

And the 1979 Ixtoc I spill was bigger than this one so a sizeable oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico isn't new.

Petroleum is a natural product of the earth so its no BFD, the earth will take care of it.

I'd be more worried about all the man-made dispersants being dumped in the Gulf than the oil itself.

18. Mels_Smileys45

Yeah, I researched oil spills months ago and told people this wasn't shit too. But now I am realizing they ( BP ) has been lying so no, those oil spills likely will not even be close to this one!!! Not nearly in the same league and not located in a part of the world that will heavily effect weather patterns. The Sea has never been this saturated with oil!!! NEVER!! BP has lied!!! In the past the Sea seemed to swallow up the oil and it was not noticeable for long. Take a look at the pic!
    How much oil does it take to make a spot MORE THAN TWICE THE SIZE OF TEXAS????!!!
    I think its easy to tell that 200,000++ BARRELS of oil have been pouring out every days for months and will continue to do so for the rest of the year!!!! This will be the worst man made disaster ever mark my words! I have held back until now and was convinced the loony people were going overboard, which makes me puke, so I tuned it all out. Now after doing a bit of research it is easy to tell the cover up will NOT last much longer. I think its very apparent but its my opinion so to each his own. No reason to worry about it. What will be will be and whats done is done.
    1 person likes this.
  19. HelenaP

Pretty f*ckin big, huh?

That's a fact...
  20. Mels_Smileys45

Do look at THIS!!! Its an amazing story that seemed to have been covered up VERY "well" ( ugh! ) by the oil industry. A well in Australia leaked some 300 to 1000 barrels a day and made the sea look like shit! This just happened less than a year ago!!! Is it still leaking now? I dunno!!!

[​IMG]