Rick Snyder signs law repealing motorcycle helmet requirement (MLive)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Drew Wilson, Apr 14, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder has signed into law a bill that would allow motorcycle operators 21 or older to ride without a helmet, his office said today.

The Michigan Senate late last month approved a bill that would eliminate the decades-old helmet requirement if qualified operators had additional insurance coverage. Senate Bill 291 is now Public Act 98 of 2012.

There was mild suspense over whether Snyder would sign the bill, since he had not publicly stated his intentions, aside from saying he wanted the helmet issue to be part of a broader reconsideration of Michigan's no-fault insurance law.

“While many motorcyclists will continue to wear helmets, those who choose not to deserve the latitude to make their own informed judgments as long as they meet the requirements of this new law,” Snyder said in a statement. “There is no substitute for proper training, education and awareness when it comes to operating any motor vehicle. We must continue working together to keep our roads safe by making sure that everyone who gets behind the wheel of a car or on a motorcycle has the proper skills. Traffic safety is a responsibility shared by all motorists.”

More...

Wut?
  2. RACKnRAIL

RACKnRAIL 今は知っているでしょ Staff Member Moderator

As a bike rider, myself, I highly recommend wearing a helmet. However, a very high percentage of fatalities are due to blunt force trauma to the chest, not the head. Still, if given the choice, I would still wear mine, regardless of the law. Better safe than sorry.
  3. w31n3r

w31n3r Zeropaid Irregular Established Member

this is a common argument pitched against helmet laws and i'm sure it has its merits. however, i am yet to come across any experienced, knowledgeable biker(and being one myself, i know quite a few) who'll not recommend a helmet.
  4. bcwar

bcwar Member

I echo these sentiments .... any experienced rider knows the advantages of wearing a helmet.the others I'm sure Darwin is bound to catch up with them sooner or later with or without a motorcyle being involved.
  5. carpefile

carpefile Chronic Established Member

That's the point. Any rider that wants to keep his brains in his skull wears a helmet. We don't need the state to make it a law. Contrary to what many believe, government's role is not to protect us from any and every possible mishap.
  6. evilmegaman

evilmegaman ZP Superhero Established Member

agreed. You should wear a helmet. Doesn't take a baton to the face to figure that out
  7. bcwar

bcwar Member

preachin' to the choir here carpe ... tell that to the current administration.
  8. HelenaP

HelenaP go luath.. céanna go luat Established Member Contributor

Point on...