RIAA Radar compromised?

Discussion in 'File Sharing' started by CelticWhisper, Nov 30, 2010.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. CelticWhisper

CelticWhisper Member

I've been a regular user of RIAARadar since its inception back in...'02? '03? Recently I've noticed that some of the results are rather questionable. I first saw it when I was looking up Diablo Swing Orchestra, which showed up as "Unknown" but, upon further digging, turned out to be likely RIAA affiliated as their record label, Sensory Records, was on the member list at the RIAA's website. Another favourite band of mine, Therion, had previously-safe albums also show up as Unknown even though Nuclear Blast records is a known independent company. Finally, there were bands signed to Interscope records that showed up as safe.

Is this the result of a simple API or database-layout change at Amazon or is it perhaps something more nefarious? Anyone else encounter unlikely results like this over at RR?

2. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

To my knowledge, RIAARadar bases their findings on a list of known affiliates of the RIAA and whatever is presented on Amazon. I've noticed this myself where some releases are just registered as "Unknown" simply because Amazon didn't include that information for that particular entry in the store. If you see a release labeled as "Unknown", try and find that album on another site (Google) and find the record label name. After you find that record label name, plug the record label in to RIAARadar and the results should be more clear. Sometimes, though, record labels are simply not known to that site which would explain what is happening if you get no results.

Since RIAARadar is based on finding RIAA labels, I just presume that if the site doesn't know about a particular label (happens a lot for me), it's probably a safe bet that the label is not associated with the RIAA. There's millions of labels out there that are independent and it's probably just unlikely all of them make it on to Amazon which causes the label to be unknown to RIAARadar. I'd be a bit surprised if there was an RIAA record label not known to Amazon, but I've been surprised before.

Hope that helps.

3. CelticWhisper

CelticWhisper Member

Now I know something's up. I just searched record labels for "Interscope," "Interscope Records," "Roadrunner," and "Roadrunner records" and none of them returned any results.

Furthermore, searching artists for "Kamelot" returned all their records as Unknown, whereas previously the "Kamelot Media Group" releases were Safe and the "Noise" releases were Warnings.