PlayStation 3 to be delayed?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Krell, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Krell

Krell worthless dirtball Expert

February 17, 2006 5:18 PM PST

The North American launch of Sony's much-anticipated PlayStation 3 could be delayed until next year, according to a research report issued by Merrill Lynch.

In the report (Click here for PDF), the analyst firm proposed the idea that high costs and Sony's decision to use an "ambitious new processor architecture--the Cell" is making it look like the company might not be able to meet its goal of getting the PS 3 out in the U.S. this year.

The report suggests the possibility that the PS 3 would launch this fall in Japan and in late 2006 or early 2007 in the U.S.

Naturally, it's impossible to know what will really happen with the PS 3, as Sony has maintained a policy of being about as tight-lipped as it could be. But there's no doubt that any significant delay in the next-gen console's launch would be a big black eye for the company, especially since Microsoft has had its Xbox 360 out since last November.

Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In the end, we probably won't know what's going to happen until at least May, when the video game world converges on Los Angeles for E3, the industry's biggest gathering. But it's looking more and more like Sony may be forced to keep mum even there, and that certainly wouldn't play well.

Posted by Daniel Terdiman

http://news.com.com/2061-10797_3-6041208.html?part=rss&tag=6041208&subj=news

2. Lord_of_the_Dense

Lord_of_the_Dense Deicidic Chipmunk Revue Established Member

Well that just stinks.

3. black_magiic

black_magiic Member

Hoes Noes11

4. whitenoise22

whitenoise22 Chillin like a Villin

What are they waiting for?. Big mistake to let xbox 360 be out that much before the ps3 comes out.

I think...... but someone will probly come on and prove me wrong

5. MPXX

MPXX What Me Worry??

That's probably what you get for overbuilding...can't they just make a video game console??

But then don't take this article as solid fact...

6. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

Its been thought that PS$800 was a longgggg way from launch by many people for awhile. I thought that maybe they would be able to pull it out of their ass by this christmas but it no longer looks like thats the case. If they let X-box get another X-mas under their belt they will lose a huge market share. The 360 will be $99 bucks when they unleash the PS$800 and a lot of game makers will have switched to 360 by that time. I wonder will the PS$800 be a nightmare to program for like the PS2 was. Knowing Sony, I would say, yep.

Now the big question, who the hell still wants to wait for a PS$800 when they will miss out on most every huge game release for the next year or two?

7. Lord_of_the_Dense

I think I will wait. :)

8. shawners

shawners Hurt no more my son.

Hopefully microsoft can do something to gain ground and widen the lead. They need to push to control this market more. RElease more games, lower prices on UNITS. As well as stay focus on repairing the issue of some of the consoles that got released. I doubt they would not get this chance again.

9. Mels_Smileys45

It looks like they are going to win this round for sure. A year and a half as being the most powerful console is enough to give them a very strong grasp on the market. This is Sonys nightmare and this is what they get for killing Sega (well Sega sorta did that to themselves). I doubt I'll ever buy another console again, I just don't make the time to sit down and play them anymore. I'll stick to my PC games which seem to have a more grown up feel to them. Plus the online game play can't be beat. Call of Duty with 64 people is kick ass.

Really? Thats hard core product loyalty. Ive never understood this concept in the gaming market or any other. I always go for the best on the market with whatever I buy. But we'll see what you think in the next year when all the huge games are 360 only. Who the hell would pay 800 bucks for a new product anyways? The five games you can play on the 800 smackers system better be kick ass! Most people will be getting a 360 under their tree this year or a lot of games if they already have the 360

10. Lord_of_the_Dense

The final price has yet to be seen. I've gone this long without even considering buying the original X-box. They weren't capable of luring me up til now, why should that change? The 360 isn't even worth the trouble at this point with all the product malfunctions it has been having, not to mention that none of the games are appealing to me.

If it's loyalty, it's only because I like the specific software. I have a GC for the Resident releases. I will say that I may have to consider the 360 over the Tre Uber Ghey Revolution. Dunno if I can "grasp" that controller.

I can wait for other reasons also. I have a list ("The Order of the Games") that shows 33 games that I have yet to play, beat or finish. These would be for PC, PS2, PS1 and GC.. As your situation dictates, time is not what it used to be for me also. But I have stepped away from this brain box I'm typing at to devote myself to playing PS2. Specifically, GTA: VC. Only 28% finished though...

11. Mels_Smileys45

I think time will change all that. I speak as someone looking through the looking glass as I don't plan on buying any of the gaming platforms except maybe one of those new Atari retro ones. Its looks as though 360 will be scoring big through 2006 and into 2007. Its history repeating. Game companies get fat and lazy and fall behind. Nintendo has stuck it out the longest but I think within a few years they will fall into line with Sega and just become a game maker. They just don't have the bank that huge corps have to throw around and lose money to grab market shares. The new controller I think is just another bad tendo add on. Some games will be cool with it, like fishing maybe, but over time no game makers will support it. The only reason I sorta like the Box is because I would like to see an American company again lead the market. Its been a long time since. As far as games, the 360 is sure to snatch up all the big titles soon, with second rate versions following up on the other consoles. It also seems that most of the hype with bad hardware was just that, all hype. Very few actually had any problems. It was blown up by fanboys but all new products have bumps in the road. NO one I know has had nay problems.

12. the great one

the great one Member

This doesn't really bother me too much,I still have to pick up an xbox 360 .I will get one in a month or so,I hope they make some good fps for the 360.

I just hope the pos3 isn't built as poorly as my pos2 slim was,what a piece of junk.I'm not a big fan of Sony just because they build poor quality systems.

13. VAMPYRE BLADE

VAMPYRE BLADE DARK LORD OF ZEROPAID

I am sure many of you will disagree but i still prefer playing games on the computer.

14. Ne007

Ne007 I wish u were Beer Established Member

It's easier to have a lan party with xbox's...I don't like playing split-screen, but it allows more people to play.

anyways...this is bad news since Halo 3 was supposed to mirror PS3's release.

15. .:sp00ky:.

.:sp00ky:. Poptart Tramp Established Member

hmm thats alot of money for even more crappy sequels with just better graphics, I think il stick with my DS and pc.

also its funny how people complain about sony fucking everyone over with their drm root shit yet your still willing to give them $800 for a silver breadbin.

p.s sega will rule again someday :(

1 person likes this.
  16. SanDiegoKid

SanDiegoKid Guest

I made a chair out of Dreamcasts.

17. billybob111

billybob111 Member

i cant wait for the ps3 as im getting one for my bday