Palin: More and less than she seems

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ROMANTICGUY50, Sep 6, 2008.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 16 users.
  1. ROMANTICGUY50

ROMANTICGUY50 Share The Love & A Smile Established Member

WASILLA, Alaska — The mother kneels in the snow, cheerfully posing beside her bundled up daughter, behind the bloody, dead caribou the mom just shot.
    Maybe not your typical family photo. But that's Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the disarming mom who's not afraid to carry arms or use them.
    Palin would be a heartbeat away from the presidency if she and Republican nominee John McCain win in November. She was introduced to the country by McCain as very much the woman in that photo: tough and loving. She's the ethics-protecting, belt-tightening mom, who easily juggles family and her government job.
    A visitor to her office can see Palin, a 44-year-old mother of five, as she coos to baby Trig and changes his diapers. A lush bear pelt shot by her father is draped over the couch and a three-foot king crab shell is perched on a table. Daughters Piper, Willow and Bristol stroll in and out, and crayon drawings are tucked beneath her glass desktop.
    She switches back and forth between mother and governor without a blink. But details of her life that have emerged under the glare of national attention show that she's a complicated politician. She's disarming and accessible for some, vindictive and hard toward others. She has many loyal friends, tremendous hometown support, and a few fierce enemies.
    This week, her lawyer is scrambling to sidetrack an ethics investigation into whether she abused her power as governor to pressure officials to fire her sister's ex-husband, a state trooper who had been disciplined for drinking beer in his patrol car, illegally shooting a moose and firing a Taser at his 11-year-old stepson.
    The McCain campaign boasts of her pork-cutting, but up close it looks more like a trim. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. She boasts of rejecting plans to build the notorious "Bridge to Nowhere," a $389 million bridge to an island with 50 residents. But only after she said yes did she say no, rejecting the locally-popular project after it was ridiculed and Congress cut some of the funds. She hung onto $27 million to build the approach road to the bridge.
    She's an opponent of government financing of sex-education programs in Alaska. When she announced last week that her 17-year-old unwed daughter, Bristol, was five months pregnant, she said having a baby would make her daughter "grow up faster than we had ever planned."
    Palin was born Sarah Louise Heath in Sandpoint, Idaho, and moved to Wasilla, Alaska, as an infant with her parents, Chuck Heath, a school teacher, and Sally Heath, a school secretary. Raised in a Pentecostal church, she has called herself "as pro-life as any candidate can be."
    Like many Alaskans and other rural Americans, Palin was raised hunting and fishing. She played flute in the junior high band (and years later in a beauty pageant.) In high school. Palin played basketball and ran cross country while leading her high school chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.
    She was a roaming student, switching from junior colleges, private institutions and public schools first in Hawaii, and later in Alaska and Idaho. During those college years, she did make one electoral bid: at 20, in a red strapless gown with her hair flipped back, Palin won Miss Wasilla and came in second at the 1984 Miss Alaska pageant, taking home the Miss Congeniality award.
    Yes she smoked pot. And yes she inhaled, she says. No, she does not support legalization.
    After graduating from the University of Idaho with a degree in journalism, she covered hockey matches and basketball games for two Anchorage television stations.
    She married her high school sweetheart Todd, a North Slope oil field worker, and quickly started a family. She gave birth to their first son Track less than eight months later. Sarah worked for his family's commercial fishing business.
    Palin entered politics in her hometown in 1992, running for City Council in Wasilla, population around 7,000. There was no police department and a dusty airstrip ran through the middle of town. Ten years later, after two terms on the council and two as mayor, Palin the sports fan had left her mark. The airstrip is now a lush park, complete with skateboard ramps, BMX track, a large playground and an Armed Forces memorial. There's a new hockey rink and sports center, and the main roads are lined with standard strip mall stores — Target, Wal-Mart, Home Depot.
    When Palin was elected mayor in 1996, she received 651 votes — the loser, a nine-year incumbent, received 413. It was the biggest municipal election turnout ever, according to the local paper.
    She told the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman newspaper at the time, "I knew people agreed with my message of conservatism but I didn't know if that message would reach them."
    John Stein, her opponent, said Palin had brought into the campaign his "alleged stance on gun control and abortion, even why his wife had a different last name than him," the paper reported.
    Palin promised to cut government. In office, part of her refashioning included a loyalty test, in which she asked the city's top managers to resign unless they would work with her new administration.
    "Some of the things I'm doing, it's obvious I'm not running for Miss Congeniality. I'm running the city," she reportedly said at the time.
    Police Chief Irl Stambaugh, who had supported Palin's opponent, lasted several months before he was fired. Palin denied that the firing was politically motivated, saying only, "You know in your heart when someone is supportive of you."
    Stambaugh sued, accusing her of contract violation, wrongful termination and gender discrimination. He said his contract forbade his being terminated without cause. A federal judge in 2000 dismissed his lawsuit, which sought more than $500,000 in damages, saying the former police chief served at the mayor's discretion and could be terminated for nearly any reason.
    The town, at least most of it, didn't hold it against Palin.
    "She truly listened to what we wanted in our town and she got it done," said Richard Clayton, owner of the local bike shop who for 20 years has been equipping the Palins with everything from single speeds for Track to handlebar streamers for Piper.
    In her private life, Palin is a self described "hockey Mom" — a role other moms at the Wasilla rink say is something like a soccer mom but more rugged. She needs that trait: Her baby has Down syndrome, her oldest son heads to Iraq in a week as a U.S. soldier.
    Although her focus has been politics, the Palins have been involved in a series of small businesses, often with partners. These included a carwash in Anchorage — the Palins had a 20 percent stake — which last year was issued a certificate of involuntary dissolution by the state after the owners failed to pay state fees. They've also owned a snowmobile business and in 2005, Palin also registered the name for a marketing and consulting startup company: Rouge Cou, translated from French to "red neck." It never operated as a business.
    Her salary as governor is $125,000 a year, and her husband — who twice registered for the Alaskan Independence Party, a states' rights group that wants to turn all federal lands in Alaska back to the state — earned about $40,000 last year for winning a 1,900 mile snowmobile race. Their lakeside home, appraised at about $500,000, is down a long, dirt driveway with a brand new "No Trespassing" sign posted at the entrance. A seaplane sits at the dock, and large windows open up to the spectacular views of Lake Lucille and the tree-covered hills beyond.
    Last week when Palin was introduced to the nation she was described as a straight shooter.
    But some of her positions, and her actions, are certainly more complex than they've been described, like getting rid of the governor's jet.
    "That luxury jet was over the top. I put it on eBay," she told cheering Republican delegates at their convention last week. True, but she left out that it never sold on eBay. And so state staffers had to broker a deal with a buyer.
    Her role as head of state's National Guard has been touted as giving her national defense experience. But in fact when the national guard is called to defend the nation, the governor relinquishes all authority to federal officials.
    As governor, Palin called for environmental protection in Alaska, but she's opposed the U.S. government's listing of a variety of animals as endangered, including the polar bear and the beluga whale, both of which inhabit areas also rich in oil and natural gas.
    Alaskans here, for the most part, remain proud of their anti-abortion, conservative Christian, gun shooting governor. They're largely unfazed by current charges against her of abuse of power, and they're frankly offended by all the attention paid to Palin's pregnant teenage daughter and her suddenly announced fiance, Levi Johnston.
    Alaskans like her enthusiasm for more drilling for oil, and especially the $3,269 investment rebate and resource refund checks they're going to receive from the state this month. Just about everyone — including Palin — wants a natural gas pipeline built through their state.
    Anne Kilkenny, a Wasilla local who grew up with Palin and whose critical essay about her has circulated internationally in the media and on the Web, said her appointment is stunning.
    "People are mind boggled to think that a local girl could be the president of the United States if the Republican ticket is successful and something could happen to this 72-year-old candidate who has had four bouts of melanoma."
    ___
    Associated Press writers Matt Apuzzo, Nicholas K. Geranios, Eric Gorski, Gene Johnson, Richard Lardner, Steve Quinn, Justin Pritchard and Matt Volz contributed to this report.

Worth Reading
  2. El Comandante

El Comandante Merde! Established Member

As they should be. No one would have been boggled if Lieberman would have been picked, but JM had to pander to the right. McCain thinks he is going to live forever. He picked this woman, not because she will help him govern or because she will be able to effectively lead this country if he dies.... he picked her because she is pro-life and she is a woman and she will help him win. All indications are that she is a vindictive and petty political hack. She is less qualified to be vice president than the mayor of my city/county.... never mind President.
    1 person likes this.
  3. rainbowdemon

rainbowdemon the zp police Established Member

That's quite an interesting story, R.G.!!

All that, and this too!!

[​IMG]
  4. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

Normally I wouldn't say this but the ONLY reason she was picked is because she is a she. There is no other reasoning behind it. There were tons of people lined up who have paid their dues and are well more qualified other than not having a vag.

I didn't know one thing about her before she was nominated and the more I read, hear and see (well she is not bad to look at) the less I like her. I like John McCain in many respects but his choice as running mate is less than desirable (unless she puts out)

Its funny that her daughter left school with mono for 5 months and then Sarah popped out a baby and went right back to work and suddenly her daughter was well too. I don't trust some one who would cover something like that up. We are all human and make mistakes. If her daughter already popped out one baby before her current one she should have faced the music just like the millions of other families that have to deal with every day.
  5. ROMANTICGUY50

ROMANTICGUY50 Share The Love & A Smile Established Member

I thought it was an interesting peace when I read it-Tim
  6. mfgbypooter

mfgbypooter Super Pooper Staff Member Moderator

The rumor about Trig being Bristol's baby and not Sarah's has been thoroughly debunked.

7. Mels_Smileys45

That depends on who's blog you read. It seems like there have been a lot of "doctored" so called facts perhaps on both sides. It is a fact her daughter went into hiding for 5 months during her mothers pregnancy and then Sarah shows up for work fit and ready to go just 3 days after birth. lol There is some fire in that smoke

Here is a crazy FACT: "- Sarah Palin's water broke while she was attending a conference in Texas. She then proceeded to give a 30-minute speech before taking an 11-12 hour flight home to Alaska to give birth."

No one would be allowed to get on a plane during labor. How did she keep that baby stuffed up there until she was ready to shat it out? She is one tough lady, some would say down right bitchy, but come on. Even if she is hard as a coffin nail its hard to believe she would put her baby in jeopardy by not seeking medical attention and add further risk by boarding an airplane for a 12 hour flight. I mean really, who can believe that horse shit?

What likely happened: Her daughters water broke so she finished her speech and then had to hoof it back to Alaska pronto because it would look really funny for her baby to be born and her not be there.
  8. mfgbypooter

Daily Kos was the website originally spreading the rumor and in light of further evidence as of Aug. 31st they have recanted the story.

And the widely circulated picture in which Bristol seems to have a "baby bump" was taken in 2006, so she would have had to be pregnant for 2 years in order for that picture to be showing her pregnant with Trig.

9. Mels_Smileys45

People will recant anything with a gun waved in their face. The police tactics towards reporters have been excessive. There are still a lot of strange details to the story and some of it makes no sense at all. I dont think its critical to her campaign however. There is a lot more out there that makes her look a wee bit psycho.
  10. mfgbypooter

That is a mighty big allegation you assert there.

Do you have any proof that the Daily Kaos was in any way threatened by "gun waving" or any other "police tactics" over their original story?

I see nothing mentioned on their website or anywhere else on the net that that was the case.

The facts merely proved the rumored story wrong, plain and simple.

As for some strange details regarding Sarah's labor and subsequent birth of Trig, they are only strange to us, because we have not walked in her shoes.

It is all entirely plausible.

11. Mels_Smileys45

No I was not meaning for anyone to take that as fact but anyone would change their story with the strong arm tactics the police are being advised to use in these recent days. Im sure it was more like a legal threat in the line of 'we will drag you through the court system until we break you if you don't do what we say'.

I can see you really loooooove Sarah, for god knows why as she really did trip and fall backward into a job title, so I will not speculate on anything and simply provide a facts if I see any which is not likely as Im sure its been well swept up for the masses delicate condition. I bet that aspect of project "Serving Sarah" was already implemented well before her announced position. Damn, there I go spreading rumors again. This damn internet is packed with BS.
  12. mfgbypooter

13. grab_grab_the_haddock

grab_grab_the_haddock The Voice Of Reason Established Member

Yeah, the big issues of the campaign so far: "Palin's daughter might be a slut", "McCain is old" "Obama's ex-pastor is a loon", "Did Obama wear a muslim sweater?" and a dozen other trivial pieces of horseshit no-one with a brain in their head gives a tin shit about.
  14. Feather

Feather Great Spirits's Lost Soul

I would have to agree with Grab (unfortunately lol). Let's get by this shit and get on to the issues. Frankly I dont care who is bumping uglies up there.
  15. Mels_Smileys45

Eh? If anyone read my posts then they would have figured out I said just that. In the meantime we got side tracked talking shit. So? Talking shit is a part of politics and it will always be that way.

None of it make a difference to me. What will change minds is the upcoming debates and thats when I plan to choose who I support.
  16. don webb

don webb Mm Mm Mm Barrack H Obama

Mission accomplished........

Last week, Obama scored 38.4 million viewers for his acceptance speech. That was believed to be the biggest television audience to ever tune in for a US political convention speech. Less than a week later, 37.2 million tuned in to watch Sarah Palin ( a totally unknown) make a speech on behalf of John McCain.

There is one huge difference between Obama's speech and Sarah Palin's ... people were talking about Sarah Palin's speech the next day. They were not talking about Obama's.

Now the Democrats are stuck in a trap. They've demeaned, patronized and smeared a woman who's well on her way to becoming very, very popular. Her speech will create legions of fans; the Democratic smears of the last few days will create, for Obama, legions of enemies.

This man who dedicated two years to stopping a woman from being president now has to answer for spending two months stopping one from becoming vice president - a task he hopes to accomplish using women's votes.

Remember: The swing vote in this election are single moms. Just as the soccer moms dominated in 1996 and security moms in 2004, now unmarried women, mostly with children, will determine the outcome of the 2008 race. And they're finding in Sarah Palin an advocate whose life isn't far different from their own and whose priorities mirror theirs'.

Mission accomplished, Sarah. :icon_thum
  17. Potato

Potato poe-tay-toe Established Member

Her speech was a load of shit. A good chunk of it was written before she was even selected.

And just because she's a woman does NOT MEAN THAT EVERY WOMAN WHO IS ALSO A MOTHER WITH KIDS INVOLVED IN SPORTS IS GOING TO VOTE REPUBLICAN. That's such a stupid assumption.
  18. Mels_Smileys45

Yes, that is a poor assumption. I think many Hillary supporters at first jumped ship and wanted to hear what Sarah had to say. As it turns out it was very little. Still I think many ladies will vote republican now just because Mcain choose a woman and Obama would not. There has to be some percentage that think like that so it is an advantage to an unknown degree. Another unknown is how many men will not vote republican because they do not like the idea of a woman vice president.

What tickles me is how Palin and McCain have been dumping on their own party by saying what a piss poor job Bush has provided. They wouldn't even let Bush come to the convention! LMAO!
  19. don webb

don webb Mm Mm Mm Barrack H Obama

Obama Creates rapid-response team.....

Obama evidently doesn't think so dispatching Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton to Florida on Monday and creating a rapid-response team

I wander which "Pant Suits" she'll be taking with her? :drunken_s

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/05/america/05dems.php

20. cheapprick

cheapprick Member

It would be more indicative of her ability to be the VP if she had shot the girl in the face.