On the Internet, everybody's a sit-down comic (Washington Post)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drew Wilson, Oct 23, 2009.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Erin Ryan has more than a thousand followers on the popular femblog Jezebel.com, which would be a lot for anyone on the Internet but is really a lot considering that she's not one of the site's bloggers; she's merely one of the site's anonymous commenters, responding to posts with dry, breezy one-liners that one reads and thinks: "Withering."

Reprinting them here would be utterly pointless -- things taken out of context and preceded with "This is hysterical!" never, ever translate. Suffice it to say, 1,000 random people like Ryan's stuff, and the blogosphere isn't known for its charity.

"I've definitely gotten better at knowing what works," says Ryan, whose day job is in finance. In the beginning she was all over the place. "Now my sense of humor is sharper and to the point." She agonizes over sentence construction and word choice; she hears from old friends who say, "I didn't remember you as so witty!"

The Internet is making us lots of things -- attention suckers, drama queens, Nosey Parkers, stupid.

Is it also making us witty?

More...

I think it's high time people realize the internet is everything really.
  2. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

They forgot the most important transformative power. ITS ALSO MAKING US DUCHEBAGS!
  3. w31n3r

w31n3r Zeropaid Irregular Established Member

heh,heh, whats with you and douchebags MR?

j/k you know i love your posts.

one thing i will say about the internet, it gives you exposure. i suppose thats one reason why most or the majority of online posters have a liberal attitude. you come across people from all walks of life and places and hear out their views.
  4. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Working off of this comment, I'd say the internet does tend to sort people by intellectual values. The argument, when it came to discrimination, I heard when I was a kid was, "What would happen if no one could see each other to judge them?"

The answer now for the most part (though more true before YouTube and MySpace)? Look at what happened on the internet.