Obama Says New Cyberczar Won’t Spy on the Net (Threat Level)

Discussion in 'News' started by Drew Wilson, May 29, 2009.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Following months of rumors, President Barack Obama confirmed Friday that the White House will be creating a new office to be led by a cybersecurity czar. The office will be in charge of coordinating efforts to secure government networks and U.S. critical infrastructures.

Obama was quick to add that the new White House cybersecurity office would include an official whose job is to ensure that the government’s cyber policies don’t violate privacy and civil liberties of Americans. He also reaffirmed his support for the principle of net neutrality.

“Our pursuit of cybersecurity will not include — I repeat, will not include — monitoring private sector networks or internet traffic,” he said. “We will preserve and protect the personal privacy and civil liberties that we cherish as Americans. Indeed, I remain firmly committed to net neutrality so we can keep the internet as it should be, open and free.”

The White House cybersecurity czar, who has not been named yet, will report to the National Security Council and the National Economic Council, putting the position one rung lower in the executive branch hierarchy than many security experts had hoped for. Speculators predicted the czar would report directly to the president, which would have helped insulate the office from agency turf battles.

More...

Well of course the czar doesn't need to monitor internet traffic without a warrant, that's the NSA's job!
  2. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

OMG! Obama talk at ZP!!!!??? I am gonna kill myself now!
  3. Drew Wilson

Sorry Mel, but those two news stories were a little big to ignore.
  4. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

I was ignoring them pretty well!!!!
  5. Drew Wilson

6. 1cooldude

1cooldude gone into the sunset

I was just watching a report on CBC regarding this new cyber czar
    position and it mentioned that American government gets an average 3 million attacks everyday. More than 50% have an origin from China. As far as counter spying, that's a lot of BS. You can not protect your system unless you spy on others. I guess it's better later then never.
  7. Drew Wilson

I think we saw the same report. I was laughing pretty much through the whole thing.

Afterwards, I knew Threat Level had something on the subject. Sure enough, that source didn't let me down and I figured it was worth posting here. :smile: