Nobel prize winner claims AIDS deliberately created

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MikeHunt, Oct 11, 2004.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 8 users.
  1. MikeHunt

MikeHunt Member

Kenyan Wangari Maathai has become the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize. (AFP)

Nobel peace laureate claims HIV deliberately created

Kenyan ecologist Wangari Maathai, the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize, today reiterated her claim that the AIDS virus was a deliberately created biological agent.

"Some say that AIDS came from the monkeys, and I doubt that because we have been living with monkeys (since) time immemorial, others say it was a curse from God, but I say it cannot be that.

"Us black people are dying more than any other people in this planet," Ms Maathai told a press conference in Nairobi a day after winning the prize for her work in human rights and reversing deforestation across Africa.

"It's true that there are some people who create agents to wipe out other people. If there were no such people, we could have not have invaded Iraq," she said.

"We invaded Iraq because we believed that Saddam Hussein had made, or was in the process of creating agents of biological warfare," said Ms Maathai.

"In fact it (the HIV virus) is created by a scientist for biological warfare," she added.

"Why has there been so much secrecy about AIDS? When you ask where did the virus come from, it raises a lot of flags. That makes me suspicious," Ms Maathai said.

Africa accounts for 25 million out of the estimated 38 million across the world infected with HIV, and the vast majority of infected Africans are women, according to UNAIDS estimates.

The United States on Friday congratulated Ms Maathai on winning the Nobel Peace Prize, but tempered its praise over her claims about AIDS.

"She said (HIV/AIDS) was invented as a bio-weapon in some laboratory in the West," a senior State Department official said.

"We don't agree with that."

The official pointed to a report of those comments published in August in Kenya's daily Standard newspaper, in which Ms Maathai was quoted as saying that HIV/AIDS was created by scientists for the purpose of mass extermination.
  2. DigitalJunkie

DigitalJunkie Still learning.........!

I doubt Iraq is sophicated enough to create such virus that could control population. We are in Iraq for oil, thats why Pres. Bush Adminstration didn't want others to help & share the spoils of war!
  3. hawkburn

hawkburn Yup...

If you want to go into conspiracy theories... theres many that say that the New World Order wants to reduce the population of the planet to about 1/4 its current size, etc. At the current path AIDS is on with no hope for a cure, it possibly could kill off the planet if we're not careful.
  4. eivioolla

eivioolla Member

That's ridiculous. How could sufficient technology to engineer such a virus have existed tens of years ago when it still today is not possible to cure it.

No one would design a weapon that is bound to spread everywhere uncontrolably.

The reason why African people are dying to it more is because they are uneducated about protection and superstitious enough to believe that raping virgins cures AIDS and other silly things like that.
  5. black_magiic

black_magiic Member

It is entirely possible that it could have been man made. Hell if we ever found out it was man made I wouldnt be the least bit suprised
  6. hawkburn

hawkburn Yup...

How do you know there isn't a cure and some gov't isn't keeping it secret. The government keeps more things secret than a 40 terabyte text file could reveal.
  7. Deegin

Deegin Bittorrent Man Whore

I doubt HIV/AIDS was man-made.
  8. crackerjacker

crackerjacker Member

The bottom line is hiv/aids can be prevented. *accept in the case if a women or man is raped* and are forced against will and then they can it.
    ==================================
  9. Monty Burnz

Monty Burnz Excellent!

Someone would have taken credit for it if they made it. It would be an amazing feat.
  10. que-em

que-em Better Than Work

damn, her and i are connected. its the same stuff i was thinking. oh well. of course it is spreading because people are uneducated but diseases just dont pop out of thin air just like we humans just don't pop up from the dirt and a rib.
  11. Afn

Afn Smarter than the average

I doubt that. The only story I heard and would like to know if it is true about the origin of aids was in Africa back in the 1950's they were testing polio candidates and one of the polio candidates was the hiv retrovirus. How it was transmitted is a mystery. Some thought a man or woman had sex with an infected monkey and that led to hiv-aids in humans.

Most likely a myth to tell a somewhat creditable story of how HIV started.
  12. eivioolla

eivioolla Member

Because someone else would have already invented it somewhere else in the world. Sure, someone gets their name in history for great inventions but there's always other people who are working on the same subject and already thinking about same ideas. It's just that someone is the first.
  13. Mels_Smileys45

Mels_Smileys45 JabberZombie Established Member

That would not apply with a disease. The people who make the disease would know much more about it and would be able to make a cure much more easily or make it very hard for some one else to engineer a cure. I doubt it was man made though. If it was, and I say this with all due respect, its not very good at doing its proposed job. People live way too long with the disease for it to be considered as a population controlling agent.

It is widely thought by scientists that it was caused by the slaughter of monkeys. The infected monkeys disease then jumped species and you arrive at where we are today. I kind of doubt this myself. It seems if they knew where it originated they could develop a cure from the hosts.

Sometimes new diseases do pop up. Look into the 'Black Death" now there was a plague. Whole families fine in the morning and dead by dinner time. People lay in the street, dead where they lay. If a disease appeared today that spread that fast, with our airplanes and cars, the whole planet would be devastated.
  14. hawkburn

hawkburn Yup...

Something like the bubonic plague that spread through Europe in the Middle Ages is unlikely though, mostly because people are a whole lot cleaner now than they were 700 years ago. We have clean, purified, running water, we all, well most of us, shower at least once per day. The Bubonic plague was spread by fleas that originated from rats.

With exterminators to kill most rats in homes and flea and tick killing pills for our pets, there would be little to no widespread infestation of a Black Death if it arose today.
  15. Mels_Smileys45

No the bubonic plague could be dealt with fast and modern medicine could help most people. But, the black death came in three forms, Bubonic, pneumonic and septicemic. Septicemic was by far the most deadly disease ever seen. If you caught this disease today, you wouldnt make it to the doctor by the time you noticed a slight fever. We are actually over due a great plague and it can come from anywhere, even space or space shuttle. I bet the next big thing will probably come from the family pet.
  16. crackerjacker

crackerjacker Member

The bubonic plague was spread by rats.

on a side note they claim hiv/aids was manafuctured by the military etc, you never know. I dont believe that. What I would say is that hiv/aids could of been genetically created, but then again hiv/aids have different strains.

hiv/aids has been out probably for centuries who knows the bottom line once again hiv /aids is preventable the sad fact is people need to stop pretending that they cant get it when they can, no one is immunized against this deadly disease.

I also want to say hiv/aids will not go away and people who are to stupid to wake up and face the fact that their is no such thing as free love in this day and age *yeah i am talking to some of your wood stock hippies who believe free love means not using a condom*.

NO i am not generalizing that all people who are hippies believe in free love, just those that do should wake up.

hmm o btw rock on
  17. The Hunter

The Hunter Janitor

Especially with many viruses becoming more resistant to antibiotics, due to over perscription.
  18. Afn

Afn Smarter than the average

100 years ago we did not have antibiotics or the systems we have today to identify, classify and control infectious disease outbreaks. Our modern communication systems and health care practices make for a deadly combination in fighting disease.

If aids was engineered, there would be more deadly variants and a systematic intensification of the diease to systematically depopulate the world. If that was the case, there are better and newer technologies that work much faster. Like self replicating nanotech that only eats carbon for example.

Pun intended. :)
  19. Mels_Smileys45

Damn CJ you caught me before the edit! lol

Humans got the Black Plague from fleas that bit sick rats. People with horses dind't get sick because fleas hate the smell of horses and will not bite anything that smells like one. lol

I have done a lot of reading about the Black Death and I swore I once read that in the septicemic version it could be caught by coughing. Maybe if there was bleeding in the lungs, I don't know. Trying to find the book I read it in now.
  20. muffenme

muffenme Registered Moonatic

:fire

Antibiotics kill or arrest the growth of bacteria, but have no effect on the virus.

:hole