No-Snow Winter Sends Skiers Golfing (Bloomberg)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drew Wilson, Feb 21, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

The golf course is getting plenty of use this month at the private Woodmere Club on New York’s Long Island, which has had to adjust to the unseasonably warm and dry winter on the U.S. East Coast.

“I’m a bit of a skier, and I have a place in Vermont that I usually rent out, so I’m now caddying when I’m not managing the club,” General Manager Don Mollitor, 52, said with a laugh. “I need to supplement that rental income.”

Only 29 percent of New York State is covered in snow, compared to 99 percent a year ago, according to the U.S. National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center in Chanhassen, Minnesota. That’s the least amount of snow cover since the center began keeping records in 2004, and an example of the uncommonly dry, warm weather that has made people forget skiing and grab their golf clubs.

Winthrop Smith Jr., a former Merrill Lynch & Co. executive whose company, Summit Ventures (PEF1756), owns the Sugarbush Resort in Warren, Vermont, said his ski area has had 15 percent fewer visitors this winter than last.

More...

I think I'm going to need a more powerful sunblock this Summer.