Newbies - Lock Down Your PC

Discussion in 'Desktop' started by Krell, Mar 26, 2004.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 12 users.
  1. Krell

    Krell worthless dirtball Expert

    This is a good basic article to increase awareness of securing ones PC, and preventing malicious atacks, virus, etc.



    Lock Down Your PC

    Hackers. Spammers. Even rogue coworkers and employees. How can you keep the bad guys out and the good data in? Safeguard your system's perimeter with these 29 beyond-the-basics security steps.

    http://msn.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,114727,pg,1,00.asp

    They should have mentioned having a good pop-up blocker too. bastards.

    .
     
  2. The Hunter

    The Hunter Janitor

    The popup blocker Im using is Free surfer, and it will also lock your home page to prevent drive by page hijacking.
     
  3. shawners

    shawners Hurt no more my son.

    Theres a IP website, that you type in any website.. What ever, and it tells you the ip, then i just start blocking it.. Blocked those stupid ads from google to. I have something more important to protect my pc from.. My spouse. After everytime im deleteing more and more spyware =(
     
  4. Krell

    Krell worthless dirtball Expert

    I just installed Free Surfer, and went back to the PCworld link above, no popups : )
     
  5. The Hunter

    The Hunter Janitor

    LOL, actually PC World was the reason I started looking for a blocker in the first place.
     
  6. begoodbebad

    begoodbebad sleeping pygmy

    I tried pop up popper, pop up stopper etc etc . Now I have Google Toolbar and it works best. Stops everything. Has some useful search options too. And counts how many pop ups it stopped. It was up to many thousands before I built my new PC.
     
  7. kita

    kita Member

    Thanks Krell
     
  8. rainbowdemon

    rainbowdemon the zp police Established Member

    Nice find, Krell!!
     
  9. Lord_of_the_Dense

    Lord_of_the_Dense Deicidic Chipmunk Revue Established Member

    Great article. Thanks Krell!
     
  10. Soonerpet

    Soonerpet Member

    If you're worried about pop ups then stop using internet explorer and just use Mozilla, it's got all that stuff built in from popup blocking, to disabling scripts, and ad/ip blocking etc.. No need for several separate programs to do the job.
     
  11. Excellent article krell. Too many people believe security begins and ends with installing a firewall and virus scanner, while ignoring the fact that there are many changes which can be made to the operating system itself which greatly enhance a users security online.

    Users interested in hardening the OS against potential risks may also find this article http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/wxpp2.php useful, particularly the section on shutting down unnecesary ports.

    The security of the machine begins with the os.
     
  12. The Hunter

    The Hunter Janitor

    Thanks for adding that, as it looks interesting. Also I stickied this thread because i feel could develop into a great help thread.
     
  13. hawkburn

    hawkburn Yup...

    Ahh its down for me at the moment... maybe ZeroPaid is turning into something similiar to /.
     
  14. The Hunter

    The Hunter Janitor

    Very odd as i just went to the site and it loaded no problem.
     
  15. hawkburn

    hawkburn Yup...

    Uh... just realized that Protowall blocked MF.. which, once looked at through ARIN, turned out to be PCWorld... yea.. whoops.
     
  16. The Hunter

    The Hunter Janitor

    No prob, as I say whoops probably more than anyone else here.
     
  17. CompuGeek

    CompuGeek File Sharing Giant

    That's a good article, but the first step should be "Stop clicking YES on every fucking security warning and ActiveX install you noob!"

    or maybe a more friendly maxim: "Think before you click."
     
  18. Stownplayer

    Stownplayer Stown 3.0 Established Member

    I use a combination of opera, kerio pro, and protowall. Once configured for you individual surfing habits you won't ever see a pop up.
     
  19. nukehella

    nukehella Member

    And does this mighty arsenal allow you to observe the dates of the posts you are responding to?
     
  20. notbob

    notbob I say what I want Established Member

    i don't have any of those, and i never see a popup

    that stuff is all paranoid nonsense

    90% of security is not being an idiot, the other 10% is firefox
     

Share This Page