New DVD Burners Double Capacity

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lord_of_the_Dense, Mar 23, 2004.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 4 users.
  1. Lord_of_the_Dense

Lord_of_the_Dense Deicidic Chipmunk Revue Established Member

NEW YORK - If you just bought a DVD-burning drive for your computer and think that for once you're current with the latest and greatest, it's disappointment time. Manufacturers are soon launching drives that can store double the amount of data on a disc.

Sony Electronics says it will be shipping drives in about two months that accept blank DVDs with two data layers. Philips Electronics will start selling a similar drive in Europe in April, but is not saying when it will be available in the United States.

The write-once discs can store up to 8.5 gigabytes of data, or about 4 hours of DVD-quality movies, twice the capacity of regular blank DVDs. This means capacities for computer-burned DVDs are catching up with prerecorded movie DVDs, many of which are already dual-layer.

Read complete story here.
  2. DainBramaged

DainBramaged I have a twitch

Is the 8.5 GB figuring in the overhead? I.e., a current, single-layer DVD's capacity is 4.7, though you can only write to about 4.38 of it.
  3. Lord_of_the_Dense

I want to say yes, if I understand you correctly. 4.38 x 2 = 8.76. which is pretty much close. They're not professing 9.4 so it must not all be writeable,
  4. Miniver

Miniver Adjudicator Established Member

I can't wait!
  5. Spencer45317

Spencer45317 Member

DVD capacity is 4.7 GB if 1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes
    DVD capacity is 4.38 true GB.
    I don't think there is overhead or anything like that. It's just like how blank CDs are 700 true MB, but can hold 736,965,000 bytes or so.
  6. Sho0tyz

Sho0tyz Member

A year or two ago the manufacturers were saying... Buy a DVD burner now! When the dual layer media is available all you will need is a firmware upgrade to use it.

Now they're saying we need new drives. Anyone else not surprised?
  7. waqasr

waqasr Member

Dvd burners use red laser now soon
    they will switch to Blue laser known as
    (Blu Ray) which would allow you to
    store much more then double layer Dvd burners
    and they r already out in japan but cost abt
    $3700 to $4000 if iam not mistaken they
    give u 18 to 20 some gigs on one DVD!
    they r coming to states end of 2004 or maybe
    mid of 2005!
  8. Lord_of_the_Dense

9. Bodhisattva/GoldenSilence

Bodhisattva/GoldenSilence An Eagle In Your Mind

Just looking forward to the future, since none of the current DVD burning formats seem to be moving in as the de facto standard (i.e, the VHS over the Beta), we may soon be able to look forward to:

DVD-RAM (being phased out, admittedly)
    DVD-R
    DVD+R
    DVD-RW
    DVD+RW

DVD(Dual-Layer)-R
    DVD(Dual-Layer)+R (yup, dual-layer is being developed in both - and + formats. . . )
    DVD(Dual-Layer)-RW (. . . and yes, they're also discussing rewriteable dual-layer discs)
    DVD(Dual-Layer)+RW
    BD-R (Blu-ray format)
    BD-RW
    BD
    (Dual-Layer)-R
    HD-DVD
    (HD-DVD is a direct competitor to Blu-ray, having similar storage capacity, but is currently read-only)

OK, so I'm being a bit facetious, but still. . . when is this format war going to finally shake out so we can have a standard? By the time Blu-ray becomes affordable, the rest of the formats may be rendered obsolete. Sounds cool, until you consider that every DVD player now available won't be able to read 'em. Ugh, it makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

Regardless, I'm one of the stalwart hold-outs, waiting until dual-layer is released before buying a burner. :upside
  10. beardedwonder

beardedwonder Life's shit, get over it.

You forgot the EVD! That's being developed in China and should be able to hold a films worth of HDTV quality film.
  11. NDGAARONDI

NDGAARONDI Newbies can change this!

And they may even make double sides dual layered recordable DVDs, as is happening with the double sided DVD-R ones.
  12. DainBramaged

DainBramaged I have a twitch

By "overhead" I simply mean room for the file-structure, etc.

And I couldn't agree more. Yes, technology is a good thing. And it's usually a good thing when it advances, so we can get to bigger and better things.

...but not THIS fast. With DVD technology, you're hardly accustomed to one format when another comes along, which may or may not be backwards compatible. Add to that the fact that there is more than one format and the confusion only increases exponentially.

Someone needs to decide. Though I think most would agree that the +R camp is the victor, in most respects.
  13. shawners

shawners Hurt no more my son.

www.cdr-info.com also have them listed and alot of information on them... Its a great time to buy a single layer dvd since prices will be dropping even more. =) in with the new, out with the old.