Need advice on peer to peer sharing progs

Discussion in 'File Sharing' started by liquid334, Jan 8, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. liquid334

liquid334 Member

First off, thanks for stopping by my post and taking your time to read.

Secondly, I'll bring you up to speed. I've gotten my second notice from my ISP for sharing copyrighted material. While I'm not too worried about it I think I need to rethink my strategies and programs.

I'm not a day to day pirate but I like to get my music thats hard to find and even some really good ebooks. I dont care much for movies but I will grab one or two a month just because of sheer interest. I usually even wait for DVD rips because I'm not all caught up in watching same day released TS's so I can boast. The thing is.... both of my notices are for films. Anyway, now that you have perhaps passed judgement on me I'll continue on with my setup.

I'm a PC user (I know, boo. I wish I had the time to learn Linux and all) so equipped with Windows and using Limewire as my torrent DL'er, I proceed to gather my classical music compilations, nutritional and medicinal eBooks and the occasional critically acclaimed film.

YES. I know LIMEWIRE sucks but I am not savvy enough to install a bunch of "try and see" programs to get the right one. I dont EVER use the search engine on LIMEWIRE. I only use it to grab the torrents from the internet and bring them onto my computer. I stopped sharing after notice one but upload limits and 0 slots be damned.... it shares every file until the DL is complete and then moved safely to my external drive.

I use KAT.ph (KIck Ass Torrents) because I can read the reviews and make sure I've got a good copy before I install a virus or the like on my computer. Then again, using that same method, I tried to warn people that certain files I grabbed "might" be tracked. Those posts on the server never made the light of day. Grrr

So here I am, looking for a better software and better torrent sites perhaps to safely grab my files, free of charge, from the internet.

Advice, Fixes, Tweaks are welcomed.

If you are going to condemn my behavior. I welcome it and will consider it as well. Please keep it to one sentence, use all the foul language you want but I wont read past the period of sentence one. I'm telling you this to save your time. I'm aware that touching myself, eating highly processed foods, excessive alcohol consumption and hate are all bad things and should be avoided. However, I do indulge from time to time. Sooo... glass houses and all being what they are...... thank you for your time and attention and most especially... any help on my DL'ing dilemma.

2. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

You could try a combination of Jdownloader and Filestube. There is also Newgroups if you want to spend the money. Avoid Limewire at all costs. If you want there are also IP blocking apps out there, but to be honest, and lots of people will disagree with me, they don't work. They are more to make you feel good then actually protecting you.

3. w31n3r

w31n3r Zeropaid Irregular Established Member

welcome to the forums. the internet is a big bad place but here we're quite a friendly bunch :)

the only thing i can add to mountain_rage's post above is that if you really like to continue torrenting (and who doesn't? it's so convenient...and FREE :p), i'd suggest you try signing up for a private tracker. you can pick one (or many) up here. the reason private sites are safer is that usually the peer pool is smaller and more regulated making it harder for copyright people to track each one down.

just my opinion, good luck

4. HuH0X

HuH0X Guest

you will never have to worry about getting emails from your ISP again

5. w31n3r

w31n3r Zeropaid Irregular Established Member

welcome back HuH0X :). hope to see you posting more often