MPs' report finds government in contempt (CBC)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drew Wilson, Mar 21, 2011.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

The Conservative government should be found in contempt of Parliament, a committee of MPs decided Monday.

After a morning spent hashing out a draft report and making a series of amendments, the procedure and house affairs committee voted in favour of the contempt finding.

Conservative MPs on the committee did not support the finding and said they would write a dissenting report. The contempt finding will be presented in the final report of the committee to the House of Commons Monday afternoon.

The recommendation to find the government in contempt of Parliament is a historic finding and could ultimately lead to the Conservative government's collapse later this week.

More...

No wonder the attack ads by the Conservatives are on the rise.

Oh... and...

HALP! My country is officially run by criminals!!!
  2. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

Yet we are still stuck with first past the post, so the conservatives will probably once again get a minority leadership. This is simply due to the fact that at least 30% of Canadians will vote for conservatives for no other reason than the fact they are conservatives. People who vote without understanding the issue are worse than people who don't vote. We seriously need to fix our political system. Never should a party gain power with 36% of the vote. There should be a system that dictates the leader in a different manner if the party does not get at least 51% of the vote. The leader of the country should be decided by the officials we elected to represent us, from the pool of elected officials. Why should the Conservatives have the right to tell the other 74% of canadians who they want to lead them? If we have a minority and the elected members choose their leader, you would avoid all these votes of non confidence. If we keep going the way we are the majority of Canadians are going to get burned. If the conservatives hold on to power too long Harper gave an hominous warning in 2006.

"You won't recognize Canada when I get through with it". Stephen Harper

As a proud Canadian I don't want to loose recognition of my country. My country is great, I just want the government to fix the obvious problems. I should be able to recognize and be proud of my country.