Luckily, we have government regulators to protect us

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by carpefile, May 25, 2010.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. carpefile

carpefile Chronic Established Member

Just wanted to point out that if we allowed private insurers to cover this instead of our government;
    A. Insurance would have covered the clean up costs &
    B. Because of A, insurers would have made BP correct the safety deficiencies before this could ever happen.
    Probe finds gifts, drugs, bogus reports at US oil regulator

2. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Oil inspectors took company gifts, watchdog group finds (CNN)

Federal inspectors overseeing oil drilling in the Gulf of Mexico accepted meals and tickets to sporting events from companies they monitored, the Interior Department's inspector general concluded in a report released Wednesday.

In one case, an inspector in the Minerals Management Service office in Lake Charles, Louisiana, conducted inspections of four offshore platforms while negotiating a job with the company, the report states. Others let oil and gas company workers fill out their inspection forms in pencil, with the inspectors writing over those entries in ink before turning them in.

More...

Fuck doughnuts, America runs on bribes.

3. Drew Wilson

4. Drew Wilson

America runs on bribery.

5. Signa

Signa COCK ROCKET!!! Established Member

Hell Yeah! I'd take gifts from people if I was an inspector.

I'd just consider them thank-yous for helping them keep their place safe.

6. Excrement_Cranium

Excrement_Cranium Just Sick Established Member

Which makes it stand out... how?

The world runs on bribery - money and power. And the people who have either can only be influenced by more of either.

It's not if your country is like this or not, it's how well convinced the smoke and mirrors make you believe it is not.

7. MoonMan

MoonMan Member

wingnut mentioned to me that this oil disaster is like the exxon-valdez oil spill every 3 and a half days.

considering that was a tanker and this is an actual pipe coming out of the ground spewing continuously, that seems plausible.

apologies if this has been covered in a previous thread.

8. Excrement_Cranium

Excrement_Cranium Just Sick Established Member

Ick.

It should be both, or an either/or situation.

Way I see, government steps aside and leaves it to "private" insurers, it gets mandated to be so, insurers jack up the cost, we pay.

Fuck it, we pay anyway.

9. Drew Wilson

Didn't say that made the US stand out in any way. Actually, by doing this, it's complying more to international standards.