Lindows Developer Edition $60 for free from Google! (today only?)

Discussion in 'Desktop' started by andrew70677, Feb 1, 2004.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 9 users.
  1. andrew70677

andrew70677 Member

i dont usually post, but this seemed pretty kick ass, i think:...download the iso for free, or get the retail box for $10. seems to be today (sunday) only.

I dont even know if lindows sucks or not, haha, but let me know what you guys think of this...
    http://info.lindows.com/GoogleDay/

hurry people...no credit cards, no bull, just click through the stuff and you can download it, including lindowslive!, lindows os, lindowsos developer edition, and a spanish version of lindows....

2. stealthspy

stealthspy Zeropaid Elite

Wow, cool! Thanks a lot! :)

3. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse ZP Troll SWAT Team Established Member

Yep - good find Andrew. Got my copy. :gj

4. SamJam

SamJam Member

I agree! Thanks again andrew!

I'm 269 in their queue line, but seems to be going down pretty fast. Either way, it's free and worth the wait. :heart

Sam

5. Lehk

Lehk Old and Ornery

5\/\/337, you are officially 31337 now lol that is actually pretty cool....

Lindows.com File Download System
    Waiting for your download to start.
    You are number 216 in line
    This window will refresh periodically to show you your new position in line.
    * Our servers are under extreme load. As such, if you encounter a problem while attempting to download then please try again in a few hours. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

6. RJ5500

RJ5500 sailed away

Oh boy, I'm #293 in line.

I'm glad I'm on cable and can afford to wait in long lines.

This reminds me of an Overnet or WinMX queue, but it cycles through a lot faster.

7. RJ5500

RJ5500 sailed away

Sweet, in the time to post my last reply the queue went down by 10.

I should be downloading in no time.

Now if only Microsoft would have such a "free" day.

:angel

8. it said u d/l a single iso file but u actually d/l all individual files.

5 hours and 43 min left before d/l is done

9. RJ5500

RJ5500 sailed away

Wow, those Lindows servers must be getting slammed.

It must be some pretty big files.

Bring'em On! (only 159 people left before me) :shoot

10. shawners

shawners Hurt no more my son.

must be alot of crazies on the net tonight =0)jk, lets put them on shareaza and distribute it along.

11. RJ5500

RJ5500 sailed away

I think it's already on shareaza

:devil

12. RJ5500

RJ5500 sailed away

Finally, the download started. About 550 megabytes in one file.

You don't have to download them all (I don't need a Spanish version).

The FTP servers is only doing about 81k/sec. It should be done in a couple of hours.

I haven't tried Lindows since version 3.0. Let's see if 4.5 can beat Xandros 2.0 (I doubt it).

13. Crazy Horse

11:30 here, 260 downloads ahead of me, and 2 hours later at 120KB/sec I got it. Whew!

14. RJ5500

RJ5500 sailed away

Well, the offer's as good as gone now. I'm glad I got in when I did.

:hole

Attached Files:

15. I got it just in time before it expired.
    213 in front of me, its gonna be a long night. Getting my Red Bull , Mountain Dew, and Coffee mix.

16. RJ5500

RJ5500 sailed away

Yeah, it should take some time. Once the page appeared with the links, I chose the FTP link and stuffed it into Getright.

I sure can't complain about 82kbps.

I used to be on dial-up. It would have taken days at around ~3kbps :bling

17. Im on DSL, Lindows is based on Debian which is my favourite distro. I can't wait to try it. 14 in front of me now!!!!

This was a very smart thing for Lindows to do. Alot of people dont like it simply because they have to pay for it, but if people try it and like it, they might start spreading the word and attracting costumers.

Quick thought:
    Since we got a full price rebate doesn't it count as if we had purchased it, which should mean we also get support? The "all-nighter" has kicked in which makes me think stuff like this.

Update (1AM PST, 02/02/04 [weird 02 + 02 = 04]):
    Now downloading at 161KBPS...

18. Screen shot from developer version, which states that it includes e-support. If we got a $59.99 rebate, that rebate must cover support.

Attached Files:

19. Star Guitar

Star Guitar I hate Phil Collins

They're still gonna make money hand-over-foot from people who subscribe to that "click-n-run" service, so I would classify this as brilliant marketing.

Also, those servers mus be spillin' them files, because I logged back on this morning and I'm only 56 in lline.

A question. Do I have to be here to initiate the download, or will it begin automatically (And I'll just have to give it a location)? I might be in class when my place comes up.

Ooh...55....(^_^)

20. Crazy Horse

It will start automatically