Justice Dept. plans to sue Sheriff Joe Arpaio (ABC15)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Drew Wilson, May 10, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 6 users.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

PHOENIX - Federal authorities say they intend to file a lawsuit against Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio and his department over allegations of civil rights violations.

The U.S. Justice Department sent a letter dated Wednesday to lawyers for the Maricopa County sheriff, giving his office "notice of intent to file civil action."

Arpaio's office has been accused of racially profiling Latinos, basing immigration patrols on racially-charged citizen complaints that didn't allege crimes and punishing Hispanic jail inmates for speaking Spanish.

The DOJ also has accused Arpaio of having a culture of disregard for basic constitutional rights.

Arpaio has denied allegations of systematic discriminatory policing and has insisted the Justice Department provide facts to prove its allegations.

More...

I've been a little busy writing that file-sharing series to know what is going on here... but do I even want to know?
  2. bcwar

bcwar Member

I doubt you've really missed much ... just the slow arm of the law finally catching up to this guy.
  3. HelenaP

HelenaP go luath.. céanna go luat Established Member Contributor

<Too lazy to click around> Isn't this guy the one they did a show about on the History Channel? Has a bunch of inmates outside in tents?
  4. bcwar

bcwar Member

not sure about the history channel but this nut has been news for sometime. He's been criticized for unfair treatment of latinos, racial profiling etc etc.
    But he's an elected official ... lots of people like this guy or atleast tolerate him because they're fed up with and endless stream of criminal element(conveniently hispanic) that disrupt their communities.

All said the feds and the media have demonized this guy and probably rightfully so ... so he will end up being made an example of so people can feel better about themselves.
  5. Atheist Icon

Atheist Icon Member Established Member

that's the one. He also makes them wear pink, feeds them sandwiches for lunch and dinner, no tv (that I know of), and no a/c. Great guy in my book on the way he runs his prison.
  6. drtoker

drtoker Zeropaid VIP Established Member

Agree Atheist Icon, I think we should have some one running jails like him in every state.
  7. HelenaP

HelenaP go luath.. céanna go luat Established Member Contributor

Heyyyy...they liked him last year (When they were on TV too) and this year they're hatin. He sees B$ for what it is.

The man is top in my book, until some Latinos end up missing then found buried in the dessert. Only then should "words be shared..."
  8. YWD67

YWD67 YOUR WATCH DOG 67 Established Member

Not to mention that they live in out door tents with no air in the AZ summer (100 plus degrees).

75% of those in his camp are not guilty of a crime. They are awaiting trial and have not been convicted of anything.

Such as having weed, public intoxication, and other minor mis. arrest.

You know the seldom heard rule of innocent till proven guilty?

Just wonder who much you would be thumbs uping this guy if he was working for the Fed.
    Or better yet if you fell victim to some bullshit law that you may have not known you broke in his county? Becareful of what you ask for detoker.

Being a retired cop I find the man an absolute ass as a fellow LEO. He cares nothing for the rule of law that he screams for. The only law he follows is his own.
    ::cursing:

This is the type of LEO that gives the rest a bad fucking name.
  9. drtoker

Look at the system, not the man, if you are worried about innocents in jail. He runs a jail he doesn't hand select the inhabitants.

If I were in jail, just or not, I would not expect what most inmates get around here. Just because a system is flawed doesn't mean we should put inmates in a Hilton.
  10. YWD67

So by your def. if someone is arrested they must have done something wrong to warrant such correct?

How do you know what "most inmates get around here"? What do you base your statement from. The media, actual inmates statistics, or your own personal bias opinion?

Next have you ever worked in the law enforcement or correctional field?
    Have you ever dealt with a population of incarcerated individuals (mis. to felonys)?

If "NO" to any of those answers, then how in the hell can you make anykind of fact based answer to such questions.

Next a department head can "HAND PICK", who and what charges they want to have arrested or ROR'd.:sneaky:

Lastly, it is not the law enforcement end that decides the punishment or treatment of someone arrested or found guilty of a charge.

There is a little thing called do process of law.
    You know, that little piece of paper that is called the constitution. That little document you keep throwing up.
    That is as long as it meets your needs.

How about this from one of the framers of the constitution.

Benjamin Franklin stated it as, "it is better [one hundred] guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer.

END OF FUCKING STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. drtoker

How much of my reply did you read vs just assume? I did say that if I were in jail, just or not... which very much implies that innocent people are in jail.

By definition, opinions are biased, so yes, mine is as well. But I base it off of my experiences, visits to jails here, acquaintances who have been jailed in many jails here, among other things. Who are you to assume all my opinions are false anyway? You don't know me or my experiences.

I don't see what this has to do with anything. Giving luxuries to inmates does not make them behave any better or assist in rehabilitation. If you disagree, that just like your opinion, man.

Considering one of the questions was not a yes or no, I'll disregard this statement.

Yes, that is the judge that decides the punishment (time and place). As far as treatment, I stand by my statement wishing all inmates were treated as inmates, not hotel guests. As far as who is arrested, if there are enough false arrests, actions should be taken.

I don't even know where to begin here. You seem disjointed from reality at best, but I tried to explain my views to the best of my abilities.

I stand firm in saying NO inmates (innocent or NOT) should NOT have ANY luxuries at ALL. This jail does just that, and I applaud it.

You can go fight for HBO for your convicted felons all you want, your arguments are falling on deaf ears.

As far as protecting the innocent, start with the courts, not the end jails. Keep them out of prison, and you won't have to worry your pretty little head over weather they are being treated unfairly because they might not be guilty. I'm more concerned that the murderer IS being treated as HE (she, heshe?) should.

Edit: for your last quote, I again say, look at the cause of the people in jail, not the jail itself. Fixing the symptoms does not fix the problem, look to the source. Think bigger man...
  12. YWD67

I can base my my experiences as an LEO of over 25 years. What length of time and experience do you base your suposicion on? I mean from visitng friends and acquaintances that have been incarcerated?

During my tenure as a cop, I dealt with numerous correctional facilities during that time in FL, On the average during the waking hours outside of meals, exercise time and work, most of the inmate population was confined to the cell area or the communal area. What few TV's there were, the channel was set by the correction staff.

Your idea of HBO was lambasted and debunked along time ago.

Oh, and do not even go with the weight room training and classes that are taught by convicts that showe their fellow cell mates how to commit crimes.
    That is a bunch of crap as well.

Unless you have been there, or done that you are talking out your backside my friend.
  13. drtoker

All I did was applaud the way he runs a jail. All you are doing is trying to belittle my opinion as much as possible to strengthen your opinion (or ego?). I never once said your opinion was less, just different. I also pointed out constructive places you could look to besides the jails in order to make a difference.

If you stopped with your elitist attitude, you may get some good debates going.

Saying I have no place to hold an opinion is the most backward thing I've ever heard any one say ever, and I've been to Texas! (please don't take offense here people, my wifey is from there, just a joke!)

Until then!
  14. Atheist Icon

Personally, I am a fan of the Japanese prison system. Having visited the prison in Okinawa, for Street Law and because a friend of mine was there, I found it very refreshing that they have one of the lowest recidivism rates in the industrialized world. I saw first hand why.

23 hours solitary confinement
    Except for the 8 hours you sleep, all you do is stare at the wall
    3 meals a day: Rice, Water, and Tofu(which sits in the water)
    1 hour a day for showering, shaving, and walking in a circle with the other inmates(who you cannot talk to) for exercise
    Tatame mats are where you sit, sleep, and eat
    Blankets about as thick the Dental sheets they put around your neck

Life sentence is 7 years. That sentence applies to all drugs as well. Friend of mine stated he would rather go to our prisons for 3 years versus 3 months in theirs. He also lost about 30lbs being in for 3 months.

Why do our criminals come out bigger than when they went in? Why are our criminals better feed than our homeless? Why are our criminals given heat or a/c when the homeless fight to stay warm/cool? Why do our criminals have free internet, cable, education, gym, etc., when a working family doesn't? Why do our criminals have better healthcare/dental than the Military?

If you are a criminal you should have none of those items, besides food, unless you work for it. I am still trying to figure out why we pay for grounds maintenance when we have somewhat free labor in the prisons. Why are we not using them to cut the grass on the highways or planting trees or insert something that taxpayers we are billed twice for? It is not cruel or unusual to have someone work for the services they receive. If that is the case, then my employers are guilty.
  15. YWD67

Oh I just love the word "elitist" that is the current catch phrase by those of the far right.
    Someone who has actual knowledge or experience in a certain field you lable as "elitist". Never mind that they have actual knowledge in that field, or extensive dealings with such.
    The fact that they have such and expound on such to counter your points make them an "elitist" and not someone with a better information base.

I never said you hd no place to make anykind of statement counter to mine. I alone asked if you had anykind of significant fact based experience in the field of law enforcement or corrections.

As of yet, you have never answered such questions other then to say that you visted a correctional facility, and had a friend who was incarcerated.

Now to Atheist Icon!!!!!!!!! Your praise as a fan of the Japanese Japanese prison system is now noted.
    Are you just as big a fan of their firearms law? A law that they instituted to
    complement their prison law.:lol::lol::lol:
    http://www.guncite.com/journals/dkjgc.html

They have one of the lowest rates of crimes that involve a firearm in the world.
    GO FUCKING FIGURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. YWD67

Oh I just love the word "elitist" that is the current catch phrase by those of the far right.
    Someone who has actual knowledge or experience in a certain field you lable as "elitist". Never mind that they have actual knowledge in that field, or extensive dealings with such.
    The fact that they have such and expound on such to counter your points make them an "elitist" and not someone with a better information base or training.

I never said you hd no place to make anykind of statement counter to mine. I alone asked if you had anykind of significant fact based experience or education in the field of law enforcement or corrections.

As of yet, you have never answered such questions other then to say that you visted a correctional facility, and had a friend who was incarcerated.
    Then again, some people see an education or training as some kind of zombification.
    Why does someone in your eye that has an education or training above or beyond yours in anykind of field make them an "elitist"?

Now to Atheist Icon!!!!!!!!! Your praise as a fan of the Japanese Japanese prison system is now noted.
    Are you just as big a fan of their firearms law? A law that they instituted to
    complement their prison law.:lol::lol::lol:
    http://www.guncite.com/journals/dkjgc.html

They have one of the lowest rates of crimes that involve a firearm in the world.
    GO FUCKING FIGURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. moneoa

moneoa Vita!!!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

Make love not war, I like that argument best.

As for the tents and no A/c that is due to overcrowding as is not in a realm the sheriff can control. The rest is him being an ass. He wouldn't have to be an ass if we didn't send so many people to jail for petty bullshit.
  18. YWD67

I am sorry but you may wish to check you inforamtion Mon. The Court of Appeals told this asswhole to take care of the over crowding four fucking years ago.

He has never included nor asked for any kind of fucking upgrade to the incarceration facilities that he controls. All he has done is thumb his nose at the constitution that he supposedly upholds and follows.

http://www.aclu.org/prisoners-right...riff-arpaio-fix-unconstitutional-conditions-m

October 13, 2010
    Ruling In ACLU Lawsuit Affirms District Court Decision
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PHOENIX – Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Ariz. is required to abide by a federal district court order mandating that he fix unconstitutional conditions in the Maricopa County Jail that jeopardize the health and safety of prisoners, a federal appellate court ruled today.

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously ordered Arpaio to follow U.S. District Court Judge Neil Wake's 2008 ruling, which required Arpaio to end severe overcrowding and ensure all detainees receive necessary medical and mental health care, be given uninterrupted access to all medications prescribed by correctional medical staff, be given access to exercise and to sinks, toilets, toilet paper and soap and be served food that meets or exceeds the U.S. Department of Agriculture's dietary guidelines.

"Today's ruling is further confirmation that even a man who likes to brag about being the toughest sheriff in the nation has to follow the U.S. Constitution," said Margaret Winter, Associate Director of the ACLU National Prison Project and lead counsel for the detainees. "Sheriff Arpaio's unconscionable treatment of the thousands of pre-trial detainees in his custody has gone on far too long."

The ACLU went to trial against Arpaio in August 2008 arguing that deteriorating conditions within each of the jail's five facilities that house pre-trial detainees – people who have been arrested but not yet tried or convicted – necessitate federal court oversight to ensure that Arpaio and other county officials maintain safe and humane conditions and provide the thousands of detainees held there basic levels of medical and mental health care.

The ACLU proved at the 2008 trial that the sheriff routinely abused pre-trial detainees at Maricopa County Jail by feeding them moldy bread, rotten fruit and other contaminated food, housing them in cells so hot as to endanger their health, denying them care for serious medical and mental health needs and keeping them packed as tightly as sardines in holding cells for days at a time during intake.

A copy of today ruling is available online at: www.aclu.org/prisoners-rights/graves-et-al-v-arpaio-et-al-opinion
    ------------------------------------
    Please take note that this decision dealt with "
    pre-trial detainees" and not convicted individuals.

ONCE AGAIN, THE MAN IS THE JOKE OF THE LEO COMMUNITY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh shit I just rememebered I used a four letter word the far right hates.
    That word being the "ACLU"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Atheist Icon

I praise their prison system because it works. No one wants to go back.

Their firearm law? No. An armed society is harder to control. Gov't should be terrified of their citizens, not the other way around. If you read the article all the way through it points out that throughout Japanese history most of their populace willingly subjugates themselves to the gov't. Since they are much easier to control, they accept what the gov't tells them and press on.

What I like about the US is that our citizens are generally distrustful of gov't...well, at least 50% of our citizens.

Love that line.
  20. mfgbypooter

mfgbypooter Super Pooper Staff Member Moderator

Sheriff Joe is a treasonous dick, as are all LEO's.

Law enforcement? What a fucking joke.

They are supposed to be Peace Officers of, by, and for the people, not schmucks for the Corporation.

The sad thing is they all (every single one of them) violate their own sworn oaths of office every single day they wear their uniforms, and commit treason afresh every time they strap on their guns, but they are too stupid to even realize it.

I'll be so glad when this fucking nightmare called USA, INC. finally collapses into the dustbin of history, and take all the assholes like sherriff Joe with it.