Jorge.. Thread Closing Outta Control!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by method, Mar 25, 2004.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 13 users.
  1. method

method yeah, whatever...

I've had enough of this utter bullshit...

The last three threads I've tried to reply to have been closed!!!

ZP is becoming a bit of a joke in this respect... I don't care which admins are responsible, I'm not looking to beef or bitch about specific admins... I'm just annoyed because some good threads are getting closed because of the odd one or two objectionable posts. It's like admins/mods are becoming too lazy to remove the bad posts/flame bait/etc. and instead close good threads that people would like to maturely respond to.

Could ZP add a rating system for each post so that there's a threshold (0=unmarked, 1=insightful, -1=flamebait, etc.) with the default at level zero.

I admit that this pathetic crap is not enough to put me off ZP but it's sure making things intolerable for a fair few users and I'm sad to see some of the long-time members put off by all this.

It's causing unnecessary offence, it's stopping us from talking about non-p2p issues that have any political clout because some mods disagree with the political sentiments of a thread or the general consensus. (despite their claims that they're just stopping flaming.. some are closing threads because of their political persuasion!!)

I'm not trying to be an ass.. it just seems free-speech is getting pretty restricted because some moderators haven't got enough tolerance, are too lazy to remove the really bad posts or disagree with view asserted by members.

Seph.. this is not a swipe at you.. I'm just talking about the general closing of threads when it's not really needed.. whether by you or anyone else.

AND... anyone responding to this.. PLEASE don't single out any admins/mods. Try to keep make sure any response relates to the **actions** we're experiencing.. not the person(s) involved. I'm not trying to kick off another bash-someone thread, those posts make me just as sick as the over zealous thread-closing. Both sides kinda piss me off... there's gotta be a better way to handle all this.

Peace!!
  2. MoonMan

MoonMan Member

The issue should have been observed by Jorge a long time ago. I held out for as long as I could with this site, but those days are gone.

There would have to be EXTREME change done before I could be convinced that this site is worth more than a laugh. That's not happening anytime soon (or ever).
  3. notbob

notbob I say what I want Established Member

as long as people come here and give him ad impressions, why should he care?

if he cared, he wouldn't relegate all of the sites operations to others
  4. Psilaxs

Psilaxs Harbinger of mass Exodus Established Member

I agree with you all, especially MoonMan.
  5. The Hunter

The Hunter Janitor

Ok folks I closed most of the threads tonight, because many seemed to be no more than an attack on a mod when he was not here to defend himself. none have been deleted, but saved to the mod forum for viewing by Jorge. If you have any problems with my method of moderating feel free to contact Jorge or dub, as i have always tried to be fair in my view, but my view may not the same as others here.
    Yours truly the hunter
  6. Lord_of_the_Dense

Lord_of_the_Dense Deicidic Chipmunk Revue Established Member

I will have to agree that the particular closures today were a bit hasty, if not unnecessary. A response from the CEO would be of interest. I'll keep this short as I don't want it wasted if this thread's hours/minutes are numbered (no pun intended).
  7. method

method yeah, whatever...

"Ok folks I closed most of the threads tonight, because many seemed to be no more than an attack on a mod when he was not here to defend himself"

That's why I was trying to avoid the bash-anyone kinda threads... I'd just like you guys (mods, jorge, etc.) to have a chat about what to close and what not to close... or.. alternate ways to remove or degrade the stupid blatant flamebait posts so that otherwise-good threads don't get closed because of one or two users.

That's all!!
  8. Psilaxs

Psilaxs Harbinger of mass Exodus Established Member

You are fair Hunter, Very much so. No one here has ever had a problem with you. I haven't MoonMan hasn't no one that i speak to on ZP has ever had an issue with You, Jannet, CrazyHorse etc. It is only one, and one alone who is driving people away.
  9. MoonMan

MoonMan Member

I would have agreed with you Psilaxs, before certain events took place. Janet, being of course, the only exception. I like her.

Too bad the administrators are spineless.
  10. The Hunter

The Hunter Janitor

Lord only knows i have been removing a lot of flaming posts in threads, and trying to keep things rolling here. it doesnt always work, and again Im not perfect, and do screw up now and then as im human. Ps i think I still am anyway. Discussion about things is continuing, and hopefully we can come to a agreement about the closing, or not closing of certain things. We do try and use a bit of give and take to make things better here, and it doesnt always work out. My views are only mine, and we all share our views to work on things, but when outright attacks are made it makes all discussions internal, and external, IE with you folks that much harder.
  11. The Hunter

The Hunter Janitor

Oh and Moon man if you have a problem with me, just PM me and tell me what it is, as Im interested in what it is, and will do my best to answer any questions.
  12. crackerjacker

crackerjacker Member

I just think that people should not be closing threads because they feel like it. It does not look good when a new person comes to this site and see threads closed because someone disagrees with others right to free expression.

None of those 3 threads were flame threads, in fact they were just free expression.. Matter fact I can repost them as I have copies of them if you want.

On a side note I am proud to say one of our mods has finally come out the closet and I want to wish him the best. ITs oks stand tall. We accept you for whom you are .

cheers
  13. MoonMan

MoonMan Member

PM stands for private message, but somehow I do not think it will stay private. Have you ever heard the term "playing both sides of the table" ? No I'm not going to expose anyone, but I am quite aware of it.

Let's get back on topic anyway. If you want to go further, you can pm me.
  14. The Hunter

The Hunter Janitor

CJ, you know flaming trolling posts/threads are removed, as per the rules, and that a serious discussion is being had here. Im doing the best i can, but i guess thats not good enough, Im getting the message.
  15. Potato

Potato poe-tay-toe Established Member

Hunter: You're the only one making your presence known at this lovely moment in zp time.

edit: I take that back, CH posted at the same time as I did.
  16. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse ZP Troll SWAT Team Established Member

I'm also curious. As I have kept a low profile of late, partly because of my more than busy life and partly because I also don't fully approve of the direction the site has taken lately. Problems I have had with people are far and few. People I have banned know they deserved it..ie Zeropain. As far as thread closing it's been awhile for me. I will delete a post before I close a thread.
  17. crackerjacker

crackerjacker Member

Well its not you hunter or crazy horse that is closing the threads or making judgement calls. Its someone else who has the sick need to keep putting there personal agenda into a public forum and closing threads if it does not fit there agenda.

In other words the threads are closed or deleted if the person doesnt agree with what others say. Thats the bottom line.
    Something should be done about this but it has not been taking care of.

So you know what that means? Welcome to the zoo.
    nuff said
  18. The Hunter

The Hunter Janitor

Moon Man if you PM me I will not share it with anyone period thats a promise. I will resign as a mod first.
  19. method77

method77 High Fidelity

thread was created by method for JORGE. Why can't HE answer for once? He should just say if he plans to make any changes or not and this story will end
  20. Lord_of_the_Dense

Lord_of_the_Dense Deicidic Chipmunk Revue Established Member

Agreed, and thx to Hunter & CH for their responses.