Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords (AP)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Drew Wilson, Mar 21, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
  1. Drew Wilson

Drew Wilson AKA IceCube Staff Member Moderator Contributor

SEATTLE (AP) — When Justin Bassett interviewed for a new job, he expected the usual questions about experience and references. So he was astonished when the interviewer asked for something else: his Facebook username and password.

Bassett, a New York City statistician, had just finished answering a few character questions when the interviewer turned to her computer to search for his Facebook page. But she couldn't see his private profile. She turned back and asked him to hand over his login information.

Bassett refused and withdrew his application, saying he didn't want to work for a company that would seek such personal information. But as the job market steadily improves, other job candidates are confronting the same question from prospective employers, and some of them cannot afford to say no.

In their efforts to vet applicants, some companies and government agencies are going beyond merely glancing at a person's social networking profiles and instead asking to log in as the user to have a look around.

More...

My list of reasons for not having a Facebook account keeps on growing.

2. drtoker

drtoker Zeropaid VIP Established Member

Just disable it before turning in any apps, facebook will gladly keep it on hand to re-enable later. Or like me, don't have anything on it aside from some innocent pictures of the kiddos.

Of course I'd still say fuck off if I was asked...

3. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

The whole idea is do you want to work for a company that thinks it has a right to your personal life? This is the same company that thinks your time off is just another word for free labor.

4. HelenaP

HelenaP go luath.. céanna go luat Established Member Contributor

[​IMG]

5. drtoker

drtoker Zeropaid VIP Established Member

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402035,00.asp

Lets hope the practice is ban'd for good. Its against their terms anyway, and could possibly be illegal for them to ask, among other points brought up by the article.

6. Tic3

Tic3 - Staff Member Moderator

I don't see this (asking for your Facebook password) as being any different than asking if they can come into your home, go through all of your photo albums, your bedroom dresser drawers, open and read all of your mail, etc. before hiring you.

It's just crazy! There's no way I'd agree to it.

7. w31n3r

w31n3r Zeropaid Irregular Established Member

8. evilmegaman

evilmegaman ZP Superhero Established Member

disgusting. I had to remake my Facebook account for an employer so I could administrate their Facebook page. guh. shoulda just backed out. Gonna delete it before my next interview

9. pandoraenima1

pandoraenima1 Member Established Member

WOW!!! that's just WTF?!