Itunes duplicates?!

Discussion in 'Mac' started by evilmegaman, Apr 3, 2012.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. evilmegaman

evilmegaman ZP Superhero Established Member

Here's the problem, Itunes thinks that there's 3 copies of every song. Understandably, there's a copy on the mac's hard drive so that accounts for one copy, then there's a copy on the external hard drive, so there's copy number 2, Then #3 copy is the exact same file as the external hard drive copy. So how do I delete the copy from the external hard drive if it's the EXACT SAME FILE as copy number 2? There should only be 2 copies, yet there's 3. what do i do

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2905 this **** doesn't help either

I ****ng hate apple. Using their products causes some of my biggest rage. IDK if i could call customer service without calling them ****heads
  2. YWD67

YWD67 YOUR WATCH DOG 67 Established Member

Do you have a Seagate 1 or 2TB external HD? If so iTunes maybe reading the automatic backup on the HD as the 3rd file.
    Seagate external HD have a built in software that automaticaly backs up all the files on the drive. It is shit and not really needed. I uninstalled the drive and delted the software when I first got it.

This may or may not remove the 3rd file, but it is the only answer that I have.
    I am running an old Compaq with a 1TB Seagate and do not have the problem.

Then there is the possiblity that it is your Mac that is the problem.

Lastly, I am still running iTunes OS that is two years old. I have not done any updates to the system since I bought it.
    Mine is a 180G Classic style and not the touch model.
  3. Tic3

Tic3 - Staff Member Moderator

iTunes is notoriously incapable of handling large libraries, and this has been a big complaint for a few years. I have the same problem with iTunes and have quite a few "phantom" files all over the place. I've never been able to find a solution to the problem, though. I've uninstalled iTunes. Deleted the iTunes library database and rebuilt it. Moved my files to a different drive and re-installed, etc., etc.

It's just a glitch with iTunes. If you find a solution, please share.
  4. HelenaP

HelenaP go luath.. céanna go luat Established Member Contributor

Hell, Windows Media PLayer does the same thing.

I second that motion. iTunes wants to take over all of the computers in the world. When you uninstall iTunes, it takes a couple of useful products with it, so please, do share if you come across the path which leads to nirvana...
  5. w31n3r

w31n3r Zeropaid Irregular Established Member

you should show more gratitude you know, they let you buy their products after all...:tongue:
  6. evilmegaman

evilmegaman ZP Superhero Established Member

there. I fixed it for you. Like a real Apple User.

tic3, thanks for the helpful answer, I had no idea that things could ever suck so hard. amazing really. Started to figure it was just me!