I did it!

Discussion in 'Desktop' started by evilmegaman, Aug 1, 2004.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 1 user.
  1. evilmegaman

evilmegaman ZP Superhero Established Member

I got linux working! :D I am so very happy. does anyone have any advice for what I should do now? I am learning how to install stuff atm and it's great fun using a new operating system. btw I am using Mandrake 10.0. Maybe someday I will try some other linux flavors too :)

2. MoonMan

MoonMan Member

Good job. Are you using Linux now ? (Meaning, were you able to get online already ?)

3. hawkburn

hawkburn Yup...

Well if he's using a router, and he has DSL or Cable or other high speed connection, its as simple as plugging the ethernet cord in from the router to his computer, and starting up the browser :)

At least it was that easy for me. Good luck with Linux.. when I used it.. I kept asking cpugeniusmv for help.. and I think he was getting tired of the questions.. so I came back to Windows :fire

4. evilmegaman

evilmegaman ZP Superhero Established Member

cpugeniusmv never gets tired of questions. I kept him up til around 7:30 AM in his time lol And yes I am in linux right now, and like hawkburn said it is just plug and go to get on the net.

5. MoonMan

MoonMan Member

Oh... lol

I'm still trapped in my early Linux days using a Win Modem.

6. mxpwx

mxpwx Member

if i coudl fidn it free id use it

7. rebirth

rebirth Transmission Intermittent

hmm... I tried linux, but I couldn't find drivers for mah wireless card. I gave up. Week later, whilst back on windows, I found a ginormous linux drivers database, and lo and behold. What was there? The drivers I needed. Dammit.

8. MoonMan

MoonMan Member

Have you even looked ? lol

Linux is probably the most abundant freeware on the 'net.

9. mcovey

mcovey Member

suggestions?

xine. - video player
    wine. - windows compatibility, to some extent (you can use emule, irfanview, shareaza and areslite as far as I know)
    amaroK. - great media player with radio stations list.
    http://www.speculation.org/garrick/java.html - how to make java work on mandrake
    flash player.
    opera. (unless you like mozilla, then that's good too)
    limewire/gtk-gnutella

BTW thats all software.

I use yoper linux (http://yoper.com)

10. shawners

shawners Hurt no more my son.

my advice would be to reinstall windows 95.

11. mcovey

mcovey Member

i dont get it.

is there a web browser you can use in Microsoft Bob? :blah

12. fernandez

fernandez BBS Klingon

If ssh and telnet are enabled, and if you're not planning to login remotely, I'd turn both of those off.

13. Ken17625

Ken17625 Your best nightmare.

I have no vested interest in the convo going on in this thread (perhaps a mild interest), but I think it would be a good idea if you elaborated on how exactly to "turn those off". Obviously there is a method(s) to do that, and if someone is new to the Linux environment(s), they might not know how.

14. FrozenShadow23

FrozenShadow23 Black Mage Power.

What distro, if you don't mind my asking?

15. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius Established Member

;-D

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

16. Siskabush

Siskabush ZP Trancecore Cussin

man, i gotta get my Red hat 9 working someday.

I said I would do it when Im wasted with my other tekkie friend, but rally racing around the prov. park is too tempting.

17. fernandez

fernandez BBS Klingon

You're right, but I haven't used any of the newer version from Mandrake, that's why I can't be really specific. Here's some more info though.

As far as I remember, there should be a Mandrake-specific control center that allows you to enable/disable services.

Alternatively, you could try the following. Just be careful what you edit.
    http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=131282&highlight=ssh

http://howard.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$577

18. shawners

shawners Hurt no more my son.

i need to buy a cheap pc, so i can run a linux program to later attack the windows operating system :p

In Mirc, I remember nukeing the windows 95 community =)

19. mcovey

mcovey Member

as long as he's not running a daemon, there's no problem. I dont think that ssh servers are enabled by default on mandrake (i know they arent) and it also has a decent built in firewall in the control panel.

of course he can still use openssh to get access.