How can you be traced if you download a torrent through an unsecured wifi?

Discussion in 'File Sharing' started by Acer911, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 2 users.
  1. Acer911

Acer911 Member

Hey, im just wondering how they would be able to catch and trace someone using an unsecured wifi connection to download something over the internet. for example if i go on a vacation with my laptop and stay in house#1, and i connect to someones open wifi in house #5 down the street, how would they be able to pinpoint where my laptop is and who it belongs to. even if i disconnected from the connection after the download and went back home from the vacation, would it still be traceable. can someone explain how it works if it does work.
    what if the laptop gets rebooted and it does not get registered with the company or anything, so no name is belonging to the laptop. how can they know who it belongs to or where it is located.
    by "they" i hope u know who im referring to.

no smart remarks please and no lectures about downloading or w/e. i just want your info and answer to the questions im posing here.
  2. mountain_rage

mountain_rage Zeropaids nipple Staff Member Moderator

Most routers allow you to see who is connected to it, their mac address, and computer name. Not all keep logs but some do, and would keep that information for a set length of time. Not that it will tell them much, mac address will just let them know once on your computer that they have the right guy. Computer name, unless associated to you, will not give additional information.

People can trace wifi signals to the source, but I've never heard of anyone bothering. If it was a criminal investigation and a neighbor was approached by police they could track a signal, but otherwise I just don't see it happening. That also assuming that you stay connected to their connection. Once your gone they can no longer trace you by Wifi.

If someone was connected to my computer I would know immediately about it, and who lock them out. If someone leaves their connection open for an extended length of time, chances are they don't know much about networking.
  3. YWD67

YWD67 YOUR WATCH DOG 67 Established Member

Theft of internet service is a crime. No lecture simple fact.
    It falls under theft of utilities in most states. Not to mention a big federal violation of the Home Land Security Act.

And if you really wanted to catch the eyes of the Feds, attaching the numbers 911 to any posting name is a good way to do so for sure.

So far you have two red light bits of info. to draw attention to yourself.

The mods may want to take the above post into consideration and possibly delete this thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.